Camcorder or DSLR/ mirrorless

Hello community

I plan to upgrade cameras for filming and can't decide between a camcorder or DSLR/mirrorless camera. I will be doing lots of low light recording situations, with the camera mounted on a tripod. I am currently looking at either the Sony 625 (camcorder) or Panasonic G7(mirrorless).

If I were to get the DSLR/mirrorless, I would prefer if it is able to take good photos too. Budget for Camcorder is 300 AUD, higher is okay.

And for the DSLR/mirrorless the budget is 700-800 AUD

Feel free to recommend better options.

Thanks in advance

I suck a typing, preparw for typos.

Desktop

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x MOBO: MSI X570-A Pro RAM: 32 GB Corsair DDR4

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

Apple Macbook Pro 13 M1 Pro

A DSLR/mirrorless camera will always have a larger sensor than a camcorder at that budget, making it better for shooting with in low light. I would recommend picking up a cheaper body like the Canon 1200D and getting a fast lens to shoot with. Two great budget lenses for Canon's APS-C DSLR cameras are the 50mm f1.8 STM and the 24mm f2.8 STM.

However, if you want a mic port, I would recommend getting a Nikon D3300 instead and getting the 35mm f1.8G lens. While this option will be more expensive, it's the better camera and the best focal length of the three lenses (about 50mm equivalent on APS-C).

DSLR for sure.

It also gives you a more multi purpose device.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

10 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

A DSLR/mirrorless camera will always have a larger sensor than a camcorder at that budget, making it better for shooting with in low light. I would recommend picking up a cheaper body like the Canon 1200D and getting a fast lens to shoot with. Two great budget lenses for Canon's APS-C DSLR cameras are the 50mm f1.8 STM and the 24mm f2.8 STM.

However, if you want a mic port, I would recommend getting a Nikon D3300 instead and getting the 35mm f1.8G lens. While this option will be more expensive, it's the better camera and the best focal length of the three lenses (about 50mm equivalent on APS-C).

8 minutes ago, dizmo said:

DSLR for sure.

It also gives you a more multi purpose device.

Is iso 25600 enough to brighten 2-3 lux lighting locations?

Desktop

GPUS: Gigabyte GTX 1660ti OC 6G  CASE: Corsair Carbide 100R STORAGE: Samsung Evo 960 500GB, Crucial P1 M.2 NVME 1TB   PSU: Corsair CX550M CPU COOLER: Corsair H100x

LAPTOP

2 minutes ago, another random person said:

No idea. The only filming I've done is with a D5300 and it was some aaaaamateur shit.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

4 minutes ago, another random person said:

No.  You need lights.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

No idea. The only filming I've done is with a D5300 and it was some aaaaamateur shit.

How did the camera perform in dark places like a suburban street at night?

Desktop

LAPTOP

5 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

No.  You need lights.

Will a camcorder claiming Min light of lux 3 work without extra lighting?

Desktop

LAPTOP

5 minutes ago, another random person said:

What kind of image exposure are you looking to achieve?  Because said camcorder that will record an image at 3 lux will not have a very clean looking image.  The specs simply state that it can record a satisfactory image at a minimum illumination of 3 lux.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.  And with strange aeons even death may die. - The Call of Cthulhu

A university is not a "safe space". If you need a safe space, leave, go home, hug your teddy & suck your thumb until ready for university.  - Richard Dawkins

high ISO does not mean it will perform well in low light

your video will be grainy during the playback

be it DSLR or Camcorders

you need those LED light panels

genaray_sp_e_360b_spectroled_essential_3

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

10 minutes ago, another random person said:

It'll be unusably grainy. Just get a light, or invest a stupid amount of money into a full-frame camera and the ridiculous Leica 50mm F0.95 Noctilux.

Either that, or shoot at slow shutter speeds. Static objects will be clearer, but moving objects will be unbearably blurry.

1 minute ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

What kind of image exposure are you looking to achieve?  Because said camcorder that will record an image at 3 lux will not have a very clean looking image.  The specs simply state that it can record a satisfactory image at a minimum illumination of 3 lux.

Image quality is not paramount since I will be using the camera/ camcorder to stream to projectors for a small performance/ presentation on a stage. The stage is located in a form of a theatre and most events are held at night with the stage being illuminated with a few lights and a spotlight on the subject. The camera will be located over 20m from the subjects and the stage as a whole so the ability to zoom in really close is very important. 

5 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

high ISO does not mean it will perform well in low light

your video will be grainy during the playback

be it DSLR or Camcorders

you need those LED light panels

I already have standard stage lighting, will that be enough?

4 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

It'll be unusably grainy. Just get a light, or invest a stupid amount of money into a full-frame camera and the ridiculous Leica 50mm F0.95 Noctilux.

Either that, or shoot at slow shutter speeds. Static objects will be clearer, but moving objects will be unbearably blurry.

I will mostly be filming vocal and instrumental performances so 1/30 of a second shutter speed isn't much of an issue.

Desktop

LAPTOP

Image quality is not paramount since I will be using the camera/ camcorder to stream to projectors for a small performance/ presentation on a stage. The stage is located in a form of a theatre and most events are held at night with the stage being illuminated with a few lights and a spotlight on the subject. The camera will be located over 20m from the subjects and the stage as a whole so the ability to zoom in really close is very important. 

I already have standard stage lighting, will that be enough?

I will mostly be filming vocal and instrumental performances so 1/30 of a second shutter speed isn't much of an issue.

For such a scenario, you probably want a camcorder instead for the following reasons:

• Camcorders have a power zoom function, DSLR's don't.
  • Camcorders come with continuous power supply, namely an AC adapter.  DSLR's don't.

In your original post you mentioned a budget of $300 for a camcorder but double that for a DSLR.  Why not get a $600 camcorder?  Or rent a higher end video camera for that budget?

If you're filming a stage that's lit, a slightly lower shutter with a frame rate like 24, 25 or 30p could be enough.  Don't think about using frame rates like 50,60p.

For such a scenario, you probably want a camcorder instead for the following reasons:

• Camcorders have a power zoom function, DSLR's don't.
  • Camcorders come with continuous power supply, namely an AC adapter.  DSLR's don't.

In your original post you mentioned a budget of $300 for a camcorder but double that for a DSLR.  Why not get a $600 camcorder?  Or rent a higher end video camera for that budget?

If you're filming a stage that's lit, a slightly lower shutter with a frame rate like 24, 25 or 30p could be enough.  Don't think about using frame rates like 50,60p.

Because based off the budget I can either get a D3400 with a camcorder or get a very expensive DSLR that can fill the shoes of a camcorder too.

Thank you for your help, Ill purchase a camcorder.

Desktop

LAPTOP

You're kidding, right? I film videos of my own jazz trio and several other artists. Motion just looks unnaturally blurry at 1/30 and is difficult to look at, even when shooting at 24p. If you're ever shooting a guitarist strumming or a drummer, they aren't going to thank you for it; it'll look pretty awful. 1/30 looks bad even when I'm just playing brushes, and even the shots of the pianist are weird to look at despite the limited motion.

Get the fastest lens you can find, and get the cheapest body that you can fit into your budget with it. You could probably get a used Canon 50mm f1.4 and a used Canon 600D/T3i. Try to stick with the APS-C sensor size or higher, because a larger sensor does translate to better low-light performance.

Ideally, you want to be able to shoot at exactly double your framerate (1/48 for 24p) and have your ISO as low as possible. A fast lens is your best bet, as it'll allow you to keep said ISO as low as possible. 

It sounds like you intend to shoot performances at a nightclub or bar, which are not known for being well-lit. I used a 50mm in several venues like this, and the crop factor gave me a 75mm focal length, which was a pain in the ass to deal with. That's why I recommended the D3300 (which has better high ISO performance than its Canon competitors) and the 35mm f1.8g lens, which provides a wider, more useful 52.5mm focal length.

One other thing, a camcorder can film continuously, with a DSLR you need to restart filming every 20-30 minutes or so.

5 minutes ago, AkiraDaarkst said:

1/30 for 24p is still bothersome to look at. I tried my best to lower the ISO by lowering the shutter speed, but everything came out wonky once I went form 1/50 to 1/40, and it was worse going to 1/30. The singer was alright, I guess, but the guitarist's hands looked awful (this was a folk gig), and the percussionist turned out worse.

3 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

You're kidding, right? I film videos of my own jazz trio and several other artists. Motion just looks unnaturally blurry at 1/30 and is difficult to look at, even when shooting at 24p. If you're ever shooting a guitarist strumming or a drummer, they aren't going to thank you for it; it'll look pretty awful. 1/30 looks bad even when I'm just playing brushes, and even the shots of the pianist are weird to look at despite the limited motion.

Get the fastest lens you can find, and get the cheapest body that you can fit into your budget with it. You could probably get a used Canon 50mm f1.4 and a used Canon 600D/T3i. Try to stick with the APS-C sensor size or higher, because a larger sensor does translate to better low-light performance.

Ideally, you want to be able to shoot at exactly double your framerate (1/48 for 24p) and have your ISO as low as possible. A fast lens is your best bet, as it'll allow you to keep said ISO as low as possible. 

It sounds like you intend to shoot performances at a nightclub or bar, which are not known for being well-lit. I used a 50mm in several venues like this, and the crop factor gave me a 75mm focal length, which was a pain in the ass to deal with. That's why I recommended the D3300 (which has better high ISO performance than its Canon competitors) and the 35mm f1.8g lens, which provides a wider, more useful 52.5mm focal length.

Did you see that he will be placing the camera at least 20 meters away from the stage?  50mm isn't long enough reach.

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

It isn't a paid recording, and I'm very sure telephoto lens don't offer wide aperture. I will be based up in a control box where the camera will be placed on a tripod about 20-30m from the subjects, 50mm im very sure cant reach from that distance. 

Desktop

LAPTOP

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

1/30 for 24p is still bothersome to look at. I tried my best to lower the ISO by lowering the shutter speed, but everything came out wonky once I went form 1/50 to 1/40, and it was worse going to 1/30. The singer was alright, I guess, but the guitarist's hands looked awful (this was a folk gig), and the percussionist turned out worse.

Yeah but he has a limited budget.... and he might be filming in a situation where he cannot ask for more lights to be used to lit the stage.  Even with a $1000 camera kit will require trade offs...

Did you see that he will be placing the camera at least 20 meters away from the stage?  50mm isn't long enough reach.

I didn't see that. THanks for the heads-up! 

There's always the Rokinon and Samyang 85mm f1.4 portrait lenses, and then there's the wide array of secondhand f2.8 constant zoom lenses.

Yeah but he has a limited budget.... and he might be filming in a situation where he cannot ask for more lights to be used to lit the stage.  Even with a $1000 camera kit will require trade offs...

Very true. I guess I could recommend the Panasonic FZ1000. It has an enormous zoom range, an almost MFT sensor, and a constant f2.8 aperture. @another random person- look into that camera. Its cheaper little sister is the FZ300, but the tiny sensor on the FZ300 negates the wide f2.8 constant aperture.

44 minutes ago, another random person said:

Image quality is not paramount since I will be using the camera/ camcorder to stream to projectors for a small performance/ presentation on a stage.

I don't know the location or the layout of the seating, stage, control room position, etc. of the venue or even what sort of cabling it has.   But if it were me, I'd probably try to see if I can get the camera closer to the stage than the control box and run some long cables (or a wireless video transmitter) so that the video signal can be streamed onto the projectors.  But again, I repeat I have no idea of the layout of all the different things mentioned above in the venue.

I don't know the location or the layout of the seating, stage, control room position, etc. of the venue or even what sort of cabling it has.   But if it were me, I'd probably try to see if I can get the camera closer to the stage than the control box and run some long cables (or a wireless video transmitter) so that the video signal can be streamed onto the projectors.  But again, I repeat I have no idea of the layout of all the different things mentioned above in the venue.

The stage is about 1m off the ground and the control box is 30m back and 3m off the ground, the whole of the ground floor is seating and there are only 2 walkways, a bit like a scale down version of a theatre. I'll just stick to a camcorder with its 30x zoom.

Desktop

LAPTOP

1 hour ago, another random person said:

Image quality is not paramount since I will be using the camera/ camcorder to stream to projectors for a small performance/ presentation on a stage.

If image quality is not paramount, get a Canon Vixia camcorder. They have a constant f1.8 aperture and respectable zoom range. You should be able to zoom right into the stage and make things look alright, if a little grainy. You'll also be able to broadcast the video through HDMI output, if this is for something like church. It also lets you plug in the power cable while you shoot, so you don't have to worry about battery life either.

I have a much older Vixia HF20 and use the HDMI output with my monitor to assess focus and lighting. The entire Vixia series of cameras are low-light beasts, and grain is virtually nonexistent when shooting in 'Cine' mode, which locks he aperture down to f1.8, and locks the shutter speed to exactly double the framerate (shoot at 24p).

I use two cameras to make videos in my studio. One of them is a Canon Powershot SX50HS, and I need to pump over 5000 lumens of light out of two bulbs 1 meter from me just to make sure it isn't grainy. The Vixia is my other camera, and it's so good with low-light that it can produce a much better image with just the puny 1700 lumen room light.

Important edit- I'm an idiot. The cheaper Vixia camcorders stop down to f4.5 when zoomed in all the way. Only the expensive ones can stick out an f2.8 at max tele. However, mine still isn't bad with limited illumination.

They're cheap too. I think you'll be happy with a Vixia-series camcorder. @AkiraDaarkst- chime in if you want to add anything here; I don't know enough about this.

32 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

They're cheap too. I think you'll be happy with a Vixia-series camcorder. @AkiraDaarkst- chime in if you want to add anything here; I don't know enough about this.

Not much I can add, I looked on B&H to see if there are camcorders with 1" sensors for under $1000.  The cheapest one, as far as B&H is listing, costs around $1200-1300.  There may be something in the used market, however it's not like there is a good centralized online store that lists all available used stuff.  Perhaps look in local classifieds or camera stores that carry used products.

The only thing I would contribute now:

• Is the OP ( @another random person ) going to be doing this as part of a paid gig?
  • Will it become a regular thing that could sort of provide some return of investment if he/she invests in a more "advanced/professional" looking camera setup?

Because if the answers to both questions are either a definite Yes or high probability Maybe, then perhaps the OP can consider putting together a more appropriate rig that may be costly in the initial investment but pays back on the long run.