will my cpu limit the graphics card?

jxing2

i saw some 10 series and rx series cards are on sale, so i want to get one to replace my old gtx970. i dont want to replace motherboard(because win10 is really expensive) so i cant replace my old i7-4790k to skylake or kabylake cpu.

so here the question is, will my 4790k become a limit to gtx1060 or rx470?

not even close.
the 4790K wont even bottleneck a GTX 1080 or TITAN XP

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

4 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

not even close.
the 4790K wont even bottleneck a GTX 1080 or TITAN XP

my cpu got 100%usage a lot recently, so it's kind of confusing if it can handle a more powerful graphics card...

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

absolutely not, it will be other way around

but, GTX1060 or RX470 is not a upgrade from GTX970

if you want a real upgrade, consider a GTX1070

cause i saw lots of option to get a 1060 or 470 for under 200 dollars, seems like it's really hard to get a 1070 under $300... since my monitors are all 1080p, so i dont really need a "generation" upgrade, getting as much details as possible with 1080p is my goal now

8 minutes ago, jxing2 said:

my cpu got 100%usage a lot recently, so it's kind of confusing if it can handle a more powerful graphics card...

in what apps/games is it at 100%?

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

2 minutes ago, jxing2 said:

cause i saw lots of option to get a 1060 or 470 for under 200 dollars, seems like it's really hard to get a 1070 under $300... since my monitors are all 1080p, so i dont really need a "generation" upgrade, getting as much details as possible with 1080p is my goal now

yeah from a 970 to RX470 would be a side-grade. maybe 5% performance increase.

wait until the AMD 500 series or GTX 11 series to buy another GPU.

Desktop:

Laptop:

19 minutes ago, jxing2 said:

old i7-4790k

god freaking darnit man, you are making me feel like an old man, and i'm 22...

but seriously, 4790k isnt old. if anything inel dev cycles have been stale at best:

http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-4790K/3647vs2384

7 minutes ago, jxing2 said:

buying a GTX1060 or a RX470 to "upgrade" from GTX970? I consider that a waste of money

4 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

in what apps/games is it at 100%?

mostly something called system, service host: xxxxx and desktop window manager, etc. something like those.

1 minute ago, zMeul said:

buying a GTX1060 or a RX470 to "upgrade" from GTX970? I consider that a waste of money

sidegrade more than anything :D

1 minute ago, jxing2 said:

mostly something called system, service host: xxxxx and desktop window manager, etc. something like those.

really!? windows is using that many resources!

I would suggest a re-installation of windows in that case, because in my 4770K, windows uses about 2-3%, maybe 4 or 5 at most.

Desktop:

Laptop:

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

I would suggest a re-installation of windows in that case, because in my 4770K, windows uses about 2-3%, maybe 4 or 5 at most.

my guess is one of the services is going haywire, windows 10 does that...

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

that could be an option really, i actually have considered about it, but the data back up is really annoying....

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

yep.

for me, one of the services was using up to 200Mpbs (saturating my download connection) and writing a shitload of data to my SSD at random times for no apparent reason. a re-install fixed it all.

Desktop:

Laptop:

that could be an option really, i actually have considered about it, but the data back up is really annoying....

I think there's a way to install windows without it wiping all your files, but I'm not sure if that's just a software reset or a completely new version of windows.

Desktop:

Laptop:

yep.

for me, one of the services was using up to 200Mpbs (saturating my download connection) and writing a shitload of data to my SSD at random times for no apparent reason. a re-install fixed it all.

thats.. intense...

but seeing what fedora is doing with gpu passtrough, i may be on the linux train soon :D

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

thats.. intense...

but seeing what fedora is doing with gpu passtrough, i may be on the linux train soon :D

What is he  it doing?

Desktop:

Laptop:

What is he doing?

fedora linux promises one click gpu passtrough support in their next release.

(then again, they were gonna have wayland ship "next release" for like 3 years now...)

4 minutes ago, manikyath said:

yep.

i just checked my task manager, and seems like except those system or service host shit, most of the high cpu usage apps have a (32 bit) at the end... can that be a reason for the high usage?

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

fedora linux promises one click gpu passtrough support in their next release.

(then again, they were gonna have wayland ship "next release" for like 3 years now...)

well, that might be super cool and all, but most games don't run on Linux anyway, so unless you're running a windows VM inside Linux (which would have the same issues) then it's not feasible.

Desktop:

Laptop:

i just checked my task manager, and seems like except those system or service host shit, most of the high cpu usage apps have a (32 bit) at the end... can that be a reason for the high usage?

could just be that you visit "the wrong kind of websites" too often :D

maybe a reinstall is in order to make clean house before deciding wether to get a new cpu or not.

well, that might be super cool and all, but most games don't run on Linux anyway, so unless you're running a windows VM inside Linux (which would have the same issues) then it's not feasible.

well, that's where gpu passtrough comes in, if it's a one click thing, you can just point and click make a windows VM that gets full access to the GPU, strap some steam "in-home" streaming to that, and badaboom :D

5 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

I think there's a way to install windows without it wiping all your files, but I'm not sure if that's just a software reset or a completely new version of windows.

yeah i have tried that when win10 just released, seems like that will only do some reset to the system disk, but i have lots of game archives in system disk, that's really annoying..

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

Probably Windows Update.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL