Apple’s next iPhones may come with wireless charging

NTDaws

As long as they don't try to push out a new wireless charging standard. Fuck. Who am I kidding? It's Apple we're talking about!

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

There was a thread from a couple days ago or something about Apple supposedly moving to what they're calling "UAC".

A few people were commenting about how that wasn't going to show up on their phones and everyone misinterpreted the OP

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

35 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

next step: remove power, volume and home button

and the final step: remove screen

REVOLUTION at it's finest

Just a 3D Projector.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

About time! I'm usually excited when Apple introduces something like this to their devices, as a lot of the time it makes other companies focus more on it, even if it's just to say they have it. Buzzword marketing is very real.

36 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

So does this mean it won't have a lightning port?  We all joked about this being the next step but I guess the day has come xD 

I do believe a completely wireless device is what their end game is. I seem to recall reading something about that being one of their desires.

33 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

next step: remove power, volume and home button

and the final step: remove screen

REVOLUTION at it's finest

I think the true buttons might already be on the way out. There are some rumors the iPhone X will have touch strips instead of buttons.

7 minutes ago, Curious Pineapple said:

My Note 2 has wireless charging. I used it once, was pointless.

It's not really logical to compare 5 year old tech to new tech.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

A few people were commenting about how that wasn't going to show up on their phones and everyone misinterpreted the OP

TBH I didn't even read the articles since my first reaction was

4JcUtBL3jXiuY.gif

I could follow Apple's logic on not having a headphone jack, as much as I disagree with them doing it, but not having a cable at all is so....

#Courageous

Am I one of the only people that LOVES wireless charging? It is just so neat. I just place my phone a certain place and it charges. Ofc it is slower than using a cable, but that doesn't really bother me.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

Just now, Dackzy said:

Am I one of the only people that LOVES wireless charging? It is just so neat. I just place my phone a certain place and it charges. Ofc it is slower than using a cable, but that doesn't really bother me.

The bad thing about this I think is having to buy extra ones to have in multiple locations (work, home, home office, whatever) as opposed to just taking a cable with you that you could easily plug into a port hub.

Unless this charger will be convenient to unplug and take just as easily.

4 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Wireless charging is great.....except if you want/need: 

• a "quick" charge
  • use it while it's charging
  • while traveling (on a plane/bus/train/car/etc...)
  • multiple charging locations (expensive)

Wireless charging only would be bad. Wireless charging as an extra feature would be nice, although tbh, I wouldn't use it all that much. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

i got mixed idea's regarding wireless chargers because i can usually hear a hum from the charger.

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

Yeah but if you think Apple will implement an industry standard like a Qi charger you'd be so wrong.

It's a gimmick. You still have a base connected to a wire connected to a power outlet. Plugging in a wire will cost you 2 seconds at most. Meanwhile you're limited on power output and you'll gain transfer losses and heat. You could just make the damn thing like 2mm thicker for no ugly camera bump, a much bigger battery and oh holy crap a headphone jack but noooooooo, we're Apple, we make gimmicks. 

Ye ole' train

4 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

The bad thing about this I think is having to buy extra ones to have in multiple locations (work, home, home office, whatever) as opposed to just taking a cable with you that you could easily plug into a port hub.

Unless this charger will be convenient to unplug and take just as easily.

well I only buy phones that last a whole day with no problem, so I don't have that problem :P 

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

• a "quick" charge

ofc, but for the quick charge when you need it then could just use a normal charger.

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

4 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Yeah but if you think Apple will implement an industry standard like a Qi charger you'd be so wrong.

It's a gimmick. You still have a base connected to a wire connected to a power outlet. Plugging in a wire will cost you 2 seconds at most. Meanwhile you're limited on power output and you'll gain transfer losses and heat. You could just make the damn thing like 2mm thicker for no ugly camera bump, a much bigger battery and oh holy crap a headphone jack but noooooooo, we're Apple, we make gimmicks. 

And we're LTT, we just bitch about things Apple may someday do because some jackoff decided to make a rumor. 

2 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

well I only buy phones that last a whole day with no problem, so I don't have that problem :P 

I get about 1-2 days out of my 6s+ depending on the day, but as a result I don't charge my phone on a daily basis, so there are times where I end up away from home and in need of a charge. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

And we're LTT, we just bitch about things Apple may someday do because some jackoff decided to make a rumor. 

You can't forget the compulsory "buy an i5" answer to any AMD related question ;)

3 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

SNIP

I don't think wireless charging is a gimmick, not in any way. For me it isn't about saving the truble of plugging it in or anything like that. I just think that it is in many ways very convenient and for me it is easier to make an habit out of just laying it on a pad.

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I get about 1-2 days out of my 6s+ depending on the day, but as a result I don't charge my phone on a daily basis, so there are times where I end up away from home and in need of a charge. 

I just lay my phone on my charging pad when I get home and let it stay there until I am going out of the door. So I don't have that problem, but yeah I see where you come from.

I charge over night and it lasts all day, although I never use it during the day most of the time, and when I do, a wireless charger is not a convenient solution.

To keep a device topped up on a desk, not a lot of wasted energy and easier than using cables, but for charging from discharged, or during use, it generates too much heat and takes too long.

4 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I just lay my phone on my charging pad when I get home and let it stay there until I am going out of the door. So I don't have that problem, but yeah I see where you come from.

I don't like constantly keeping my phone at 100%, so even wireless charging wouldn't fix my issue. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

I don't like constantly keeping my phone at 100%. 

well I don't do that, but I don't really care that much. It mainly gets charged over night and my battery life is still pretty good after 2 years, so eh.

16 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

• a "quick" charge
  • multiple charging locations (expensive)

Wireless charging only would be bad. Wireless charging as an extra feature would be nice, although tbh, I wouldn't use it all that much. 

you left out

• a long lifespan battery

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

you left out

• a long lifespan battery

Wireless charging reduces battery lifespan? Why? heat? 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

Wireless charging reduces battery lifespan? Why? heat? 

So I've heard.  Same reason as quick charging.

6 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

So I've heard.  Same reason as quick charging.

not really, my LG G2s battery went down the drain much faster than my Lumia 930 and 90% of my charges on my lumia has been wireless, while none on my G2.

24 minutes ago, Dackzy said:

I don't think wireless charging is a gimmick, not in any way. For me it isn't about saving the truble of plugging it in or anything like that. I just think that it is in many ways very convenient and for me it is easier to make an habit out of just laying it on a pad.

Which will save you a grand total of 2 seconds. Maximum.

Not really worth the $100 premium it'll carry if you ask me.

Ye ole' train

48 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

OK but I'm actually wondering since the OP left out this important detail... will it still have a lightning port as well or not? I can totally see them dropping it.

It probably will because iTunes

The geek himself.

2 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Which will save you a grand total of 2 seconds. Maximum.

Not really worth the $100 premium it'll carry if you ask me.

again it is not about the time. It is because it is easier for me to make a habit of it. I would never ever be able to go back to a phone without it. Also it doesn't cost 100$, I gave 50$ for the original Nokia fatboy charger and it doesn't seem like phones with wireless charging cost more than phones without it.