Evga's icx cooler detailed (updated: ICX upgrade program)

NumLock21
55 minutes ago, VagabondWraith said:

It wasn't VRMs, it was a bad batch of capacitors.

Nope.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3138048/components-graphics/evga-battles-gtx-10-series-overheating-with-faster-fan-speeds-free-thermal-pads.html

You could be kind of right (like 20%) as capacitor life degrades with an increase in operating temperature. So with the high heat the VRMs were operating at, it may have caused capacitors to fail prematurely. 

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

11 hours ago, Kierax said:

Yup, been told this via PM also, holding off then till they're out.  

For a markup? How many months until a decent supply without markup?

16 hours ago, raphidy said:

Great improvement, but at what cost? Also, async cooling is nice but are we going to have to calibrate two fans curves instead of just one?

Maybe?    I'd be curious how they'd handle the fans separately.  

15 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

I wish they're allow to make amd cards. 

But they can't!

Why not?

15 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

"Asynchronous" cooling...

I guess that's another one for buzzword bingo.

I take it that you think the idea is bs?    (Not saying I disagree.  Idk if it is it not.)

14 hours ago, Prysin said:

dont bother. Next gen cards are less then 5 months away.

Next gen from who?    I'm pretty sure I'd been told that Nvidia at least won't be releasing new cards for a while.  Longer than 5 months from now I mean.   

10 hours ago, Belgarathian said:

Man, they've nailed coming back from the PR nightmare their VRMs gave them a few months ago. Definitely going to consider a EVGA 1080ti 

Assuming a 1080ti ever gets made.  I'd want one too but so far there's been nothing more than wishful thinking and rumors.  

3 hours ago, Mooshi said:

lol @ everyone crying about aesthetics. Monitor is what you should be gawking at, not the hunk of metal and circuits delivering the picture. 

Speaking for myself I think my Gigabyte G1 1070 looks rather sexy.  ?

Hopefully we can get a replacement on us with the Crap ACX cooler.

//Case: Phanteks 400 TGE //Mobo: Asus x470-F Strix //CPU: R5 2600X //CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i v2 //RAM: G-Skill RGB 3200mhz //HDD: WD Caviar Black 1tb //SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 250Gb //GPU: GTX 1050 Ti //PSU: Seasonic MII EVO m2 520W

6 hours ago, Paragon_X said:

Hopefully we can get a replacement on us with the Crap ACX cooler.

Seems like everyone is on a hype train these days. ACX cooler is fine. If you are extremely picky - request the pads and you'll get them for free. Done.

As for coolers in general I think EVGA has done a great job. They are probably the only ones who made their graphic card shroud look somewhat presentable. It seems to me like the whole GTX 10x0 range is targeted at teenagers.

As for ICX cooler it is very nice I must say. I love it and looking into getting one. But saying ACX is crap is a bit of much. Don't you think?

7 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Why not?

AMD decides who is allowed to make them. A while back they needed a new AIB partner, and they went with XFX.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

On 09/02/2017 at 9:31 PM, Kierax said:

Best of luck to them, seriously considering a 1080 to replace my R9 390 later this year before I make the move to 4K.

Not bashing at anyone but if you're moving to 4K you might want to consider HDR and doing a next gen upgrade.

As it stands currently, only Polaris supports 4K HDR at 60Hz. The rest of the cards both Nvidia and AMD only supports HDR 60Hz up to 2560x1440.

Also, consider 10-bit displays. You'll probably get to run 10-bit on desktop with the next gen cards as 10-bit color seems to be exclusive to Quadro and FirePro cards if you want it native, current gen cards can run 10-bit but only in DX11 titles.

Lastly, you get the newer display connections that can handle 4K beyond 60Hz :)

You can bark like a dog, but that won't make you a dog.

You can act like someone you're not, but that won't change who you are.

Finished Crysis without a discrete GPU,15 FPS average, and a lot of heart

How I plan my builds -

Spoiler

For me I start with the "There's no way I'm not gonna spend $1,000 on a system."

Followed by the "Wow I need to buy the OS for a $100!?"

Then "Let's start with the 'best budget GPU' and 'best budget CPU' that actually fits what I think is my budget."

Realizing my budget is a lot less, I work my way to "I think these new games will run on a cheap ass CPU."

Then end with "The new parts launching next year is probably gonna be better and faster for the same price so I'll just buy next year."

13 hours ago, Weird Face said:

Probably a stupid question as I'm not an electrician and don't know anything related to circuits, but what's the benefit of an integrated fuse? If it blows, you'll still have to send the whole card in for RMA. I imagine the answer is something along the lines of "so that if it blows, it doesn't take your house down with it" but as far as I know, there weren't any cases of video cards (EVGA or others) causing fires. I could be completely wrong on that part though.

Most likely a polyfuse aka self resetting fuse

This cooler improvement is heartening.  Unfortunately one of my ACX-eqipped 1070s failed last week...even though I applied the thermal pad mod.

Fortunately, the RMA process went through swimmingly, and should have an identical replacement in hand by Monday.  (I'm wondering if my replacement

card has the thermal pad mod already applied)

Still, I wouldn't have minded receiving one of these ICX-equipped SC2 models as a replacement. Timing is everything.  :D

15 hours ago, Weird Face said:

Probably a stupid question as I'm not an electrician and don't know anything related to circuits, but what's the benefit of an integrated fuse? If it blows, you'll still have to send the whole card in for RMA. I imagine the answer is something along the lines of "so that if it blows, it doesn't take your house down with it" but as far as I know, there weren't any cases of video cards (EVGA or others) causing fires. I could be completely wrong on that part though.

There isn't really one. The fuse would only trip if there was a short in the power delivery on the board. Unless it was a thermal fuse and in that case it would only really save the components on the card at the expense of making it a brick. It could also help to protect the motherboard or PSU in the event of a short circuit, but any decent PSU would shut down if it detected a short anyway.

This is more or less intended so that EVGA can reclaim a larger number of RMA cards more easily for resale. This helps their bottom line and is most likely a clever marketing ploy to make people thing that they are even more protected.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

2 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

AMD decides who is allowed to make them. A while back they needed a new AIB partner, and they went with XFX.

Any idea why they chose them?    I'd think a big name like EVGA would've been preferable.

10 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Any idea why they chose them?    I'd think a big name like EVGA would've been preferable.

Possibly the same reason why XFX stopped producing nvidia cards. Because nvidia un-authorized them to make them. this was about 6 or so years back that XFX started making ATI cards, and nvidia threw a bitch fit and said they werent allowed to get direct chips anymore.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

Now this is a trend. Let's hope RGB is dropped nice and quick 

Bleigh!  Ever hear of AC series? 

6 minutes ago, silberdrachi said:

Possibly the same reason why XFX stopped producing nvidia cards. Because nvidia un-authorized them to make them. this was about 6 or so years back that XFX started making ATI cards, and nvidia threw a bitch fit and said they werent allowed to get direct chips anymore.

That would explain why XFX would've stopped making Nvidia cards (I didn't know they used to.) but it doesn't explain why AMD wouldn't have tried to approach EVGA as a new partner.  

Unless maybe they did but EVGA said no because they didn't want to piss of Nvidia?  ?

Or is that what you're suggesting is what happened?  That EVGA just didn't want to threaten their relationship with Nvidia?

6 minutes ago, Nup said:

Not a fan of customizable pretty colored lights?  ?

1 hour ago, Bleedingyamato said:

That would explain why XFX would've stopped making Nvidia cards (I didn't know they used to.) but it doesn't explain why AMD wouldn't have tried to approach EVGA as a new partner.  

Unless maybe they did but EVGA said no because they didn't want to piss of Nvidia?  ?

Or is that what you're suggesting is what happened?  That EVGA just didn't want to threaten their relationship with Nvidia?

My assumption is that there was behind the scenes talk about what would happen if XFX or EVGA or any other company decided to make AIB for ATI, and decisions were made that they didnt want to risk their chip supply. Maybe XFX thought they were bluffing and got knocked out? Im sure theres a lot going on behind the scenes with these companies that we will never know about.

I would love an AMD EVGA card (minus their ugly as hell tramp stamp on the side of the card) but im not about to hold my breath to see if it happens. The problem with nvidia having such a huge market share is their stick is much stronger than anyone else's carrot. I hope AMD comes back with a vengeance and we can get a bit more competition in the market.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Phones:

7 minutes ago, silberdrachi said:

My assumption is that there was behind the scenes talk about what would happen if XFX or EVGA or any other company decided to make AIB for ATI, and decisions were made that they didnt want to risk their chip supply. Maybe XFX thought they were bluffing and got knocked out? Im sure theres a lot going on behind the scenes with these companies that we will never know about.

I would love an AMD EVGA card (minus their ugly as hell tramp stamp on the side of the card) but im not about to hold my breath to see if it happens. The problem with nvidia having such a huge market share is their stick is much stronger than anyone else's carrot. I hope AMD comes back with a vengeance and we can get a bit more competition in the market.

What's wrong with having a logo on the side of the card?    If someone bought a particular brand I don't see the harm in it saying so on the card.

I like having the RGB Gigabyte and fan stop lights on my G1 1070.  Though I wish it wouldn't cycle through colors unless I use Gigabyte's OC utility to lock it to a single color.  

I don't mind the rainbow unicorn color shifting most of the time since I like seeing all the nice colors but I would like to leave it on blue here and there if that would be possible.  

Spoiler

Please excuse the dust on the window.  It's impossible to keep 100% clean.  ?

image.jpeg

46 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

What's wrong with having a logo on the side of the card?    If someone bought a particular brand I don't see the harm in it saying so on the card.

I like having the RGB Gigabyte and fan stop lights on my G1 1070.  Though I wish it wouldn't cycle through colors unless I use Gigabyte's OC utility to lock it to a single color.  

I don't mind the rainbow unicorn color shifting most of the time since I like seeing all the nice colors but I would like to leave it on blue here and there if that would be possible.  

Reveal hidden contents

Please excuse the dust on the window.  It's impossible to keep 100% clean.  ?

image.jpeg

I dont mind gigabytes logo because its not so pronounced and sticking off the side of the card. Its integrated into the cooler and rather low key.

And anyone can have anything imo, buy what you like. Im just saying the reason why if i go nvidia i wont be getting EVGA is because of that side logo. I like color in my case but shiny logos showing off the brands isnt my thing. I have no interest in advertising for companies with my case design.

Primary:

HTPC:

NAS:

Phones:

34 minutes ago, silberdrachi said:

I dont mind gigabytes logo because its not so pronounced and sticking off the side of the card. Its integrated into the cooler and rather low key.

And anyone can have anything imo, buy what you like. Im just saying the reason why if i go nvidia i wont be getting EVGA is because of that side logo. I like color in my case but shiny logos showing off the brands isnt my thing. I have no interest in advertising for companies with my case design.

Having a logo in your case isn't really advertising though.  99% of the time only you will see your computer and not all cases have Windows.  Also most if not all components have the brand on them so it's hard to avoid it I'd say.  

I can understand preferring a more subtle look though.  Like wearing a shirt with a Triforce on it instead of one that says Legend of Zelda on it.  I like the idea that if someone is a fan like me then they'll know what a symbol means but if they're not then they'll have to ask what it means and reveal themselves.  lol  

4 hours ago, Nup said:

Just turn off the damn rgb led. why ruin it for everyone just because you don't like it.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5 hours ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Not a fan of customizable pretty colored lights?  ?

Not on the inside, I prefer it with just one led strip :P

49 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

Just turn off the damn rgb led. why ruin it for everyone just because you don't like it.

Its more the cost man, give me a good cooler and cheapy shroud. 

1 minute ago, Nup said:

Not on the inside, I prefer it with just one led strip :P

Its more the cost man, give me a good cooler and cheapy shroud. 

What are you talking about?

Logitech RGB mouse cost less than non RGB mouse, last time I saw it.

So RGB does not add up cost.

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

14 minutes ago, NumLock21 said:

What are you talking about?

Logitech RGB mouse cost less than non RGB mouse, last time I saw it.

So RGB does not add up cost.

I feel its more split in GPU's. I may be wrong, but they never seem to shoot for a good cooler and cut costs elsewhere. Again havent gone through product lines, but the things shown seem to be the case