I'm about to upgrade my graphics card, my R9 290x is getting a bit old and im starting to see sub-40 fps on some game with high (not ultra) settings. So it's about time to lay my money down. I don't have cash to blow, so I want the best for my dollar and I don't want to regret it later. I have narrowed it down to the Asus ROG Strix RX 480, or the Sapphire Nitro RX 480. Links included to compare specs. The Sapphire has a slightly higher clock speed, but the ROG has a lower base clock to run cooler, and a OC boost nearly as high as Sapphire, and I have heard the ROG may be better for OCing. I do not typically overclock, but I'm not afraid to do it when a system is getting older, to get some extra life out of it. So what are your thoughts? I did not include the GTX 1060 because although I know it performs better in some games today, trends show that in a couple years the GTX 1060 will probably be performing significantly worse compared to the RX 480 after a few driver updates on both sides.
http://www.microcenter.com/product/468337/Radeon_RX_480_ROG_STRIX_Overclocked_8GB_GDDR5_Video_Card
http://www.microcenter.com/product/467769/Radeon_NITRO_RX_480_Overclocked_8GB_GDDR5_Video_Card_w-_Backplate

If you're willing to buy from Newegg, get the RX 480 8GB Black Edition by XFX. It's one of the best RX480s out there, with swappable fans, a healthy stock OC, and a very good cooling solution. 

idk

I'm not a huge fan of Newegg, but I'm not dead-set against them either. Thanks for the input.

The 4gb version I'm pretty sure is a bit better than the R9 290x. But I'm getting the 8gb version.

In term of pure performance that is a side-grade son.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Wait until Vega if you want an AMD card :)

But to answer your question, I'd probably choose Sapphire. I have personally had a great experience using their cards and the cooling is great.

2 minutes ago, Dabir the Merciful said:

The 4gb version I'm pretty sure is a bit better than the R9 290x. But I'm getting the 8gb version.

still a sidegrade and a complete waste of money. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

10 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

If you're willing to buy from Newegg, get the RX 480 8GB Black Edition by XFX. It's one of the best RX480s out there, with swappable fans, a healthy stock OC, and a very good cooling solution. 

not to mention the awesome warranty on xfx cards.

Nothing to see here, move along

Now half these people have me thinking it's not worth it at all. Now I don't know what to do. Maybe upgrade my desk instead, and get a 3 monitor mount?

Could your system handle another one?

I have a 5820K and a 290x and I'll be getting a second one soon. They are very cheap on the used market.

1 minute ago, Dabir the Merciful said:

Now half these people have me thinking it's not worth it at all. Now I don't know what to do. Maybe upgrade my desk instead, and get a 3 monitor mount?

it seems to me you're just spending money because you have money, if everything still works and you're happy with it don't spend money. 

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

Unfortunately the motherboard I have now only takes 1 GPU. I had a Asus Sabertooth 990fx that could handle 3, but I had a lot of problems with that mobo, so after the 3rd RMA, I sold it and got this cheap Gigabyte board. It has much fewer connectivity options, but it's worked solid at least, no a single problem since I got it.

Well obviously I am not entirely happy with it as it is. There are several upgrades that I have been wanting to make. For 1 thing I need a bigger desk. I would also like 3 screens for racing games, and for working on second and third monitors while I play. I'm also concerned about the lower frame rates I have been getting lately, which has me considering the RX 480. Now after looking at the numbers on paper, the RX 480 does not look much more powerful than the R9 290x, but i'm not sure how that would hold up in real-world gaming. I also would like 3 new monitors. Right now I have 2 monitors, one is cracked, and one has really bad color and contrast. So i'm trying to decide where to put my money first. My plan was to get 2 new monitors (seems I have been using 2 for years anyway), and the RX 480. Now I'm considering maybe get the bigger desk, a 3 screen mount, and get 3 screens and keep the R9 290x. Hell I'm more confused now than before I came here.