there will be no Windows 7 ZEN drivers - AMD confirmed it

zMeul
2 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

i dont have these problems running linux. with an open source system you get choice

Indeed.

Will be making a full time switch with my next rig, which is coming very, VERY soon.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I notice you say AMD confirm it, yet neither of those sources have proof/link to AMD actually confirming it? 

Its about as reliable as the rumour saying there would be support based on that.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

a really good reason to move away from vendor locked proprietary systems. its the same in industrial applications, very expensive machines are still running win 2000/win xp

All of the options are vendor locked proprietary crap with varying degrees of stupid, if only the vendors worked together on the software then they wouldn't all suck.

12 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

All of the options are vendor locked proprietary crap with varying degrees of stupid, if only the vendors worked together on the software then they wouldn't all suck.

or they could become a redhat ISV

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

24 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

I notice you say AMD confirm it, yet neither of those sources have proof/link to AMD actually confirming it? 

Its about as reliable as the rumour saying there would be support based on that.

microsoft is not going to add new features and recompile windows 7 so i doubt they can officially support it

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

microsoft is not going to add new features and recompile windows 7 so i doubt they can officially support it

true, Microsoft are already trying to get rid of windows 7 by stopping updates etc, I think i remember reading an article that they're even stopping support for it by/before 2020.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

3 hours ago, Ekst4zy said:

That's a bummer... I was going to get one because of rumored w7 support :( 

Kaby and Skylake support w7

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

7 minutes ago, Lays said:

No they don't? Not officially anyway, meaning any issues = they won't help.

1 minute ago, RKRiley said:

No they don't? Not officially anyway, meaning any issues = they won't help.

It works perfectly fine, Asus & Asrock both have a tool that injects the drivers required to install windows 7 on Kabylake and Skylake into your ISO, it takes like 15 mins to install it to your ISO, then you just install it like normal.  I've been using it off and on since Skylake was released.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

Won't matter to me as been running Windows 10 since launch.

CPU: Ryzen R7 1700 @ 3.9 | MB: MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon | RAM: Vengeance RGB @ 3200 | HDD: Samsung 960 Evo 250gb nVME M.2 | GPU: Powercolor 5700XT | CASE: Corsair Crystal X570 | PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower RGB 750W | CPU COOLING: Full Custom EKWB CPU Water Loop | OS: Windows 10 Pro

1 minute ago, Lays said:

It works perfectly fine, Asus & Asrock both have a tool that injects the drivers required to install windows 7 on Kabylake and Skylake into your ISO, it takes like 15 mins to install it to your ISO, then you just install it like normal.  I've been using it off and on since Skylake was released.

Which should just be an easy to tool that underneath is DISM. Using DISM you can push in any drivers you like in to the install image.

17 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Which should just be an easy to tool that underneath is DISM. Using DISM you can push in any drivers you like in to the install image.

All these paranoid people worried about telemetry and all this NSA stuff bla bla, freaking out about Zen supporting win7 fully or whatever, but don't realize Kaby & Skylake already do lol.  Makes ya wonder how much they research they actually do.

52 minutes ago, Lays said:

SkyLake yes, sort of

KabyLake works because of SkyLake legacy; but if you're trying to install W7 on Intel's 200 series chipsets .. good luck

50 minutes ago, Lays said:

that's for the 100 series chipset, not for the 200 series

I wish you good luck installing W7 on a 200 series mobo

24 minutes ago, zMeul said:

that's for the 100 series chipset, not for the 200 series

I wish you good luck installing W7 on a 200 series mobo

Haven't tried it on a 200 series board, but a lot of my friends on hwbot all have Z270 boards with kaby chips running 7, so somebody must of figured it out.

9 minutes ago, Lays said:

Haven't tried it on a 200 series board, but a lot of my friends on hwbot all have Z270 boards with kaby chips running 7, so somebody must of figured it out.

I seen live someone trying to install W7 on a H270 board and it froze at the finish

5 hours ago, Ekst4zy said:

Well, IMO w7 is a great OS and I want to run it. I don't like w10 at all. w7 support was huge for me and now I'm not sure if i still want to upgrade... sue me.

But what will you do when Windows 7 dies? 

If you quote me or are replying to me please @ me. Thanks

2 minutes ago, Raggou said:

But what will you do when Windows 7 dies? 

there are still ~3y before W7 "dies"

9 minutes ago, zMeul said:

there are still ~3y before W7 "dies"

Ohh, that's quite a bit of time. I thought they were ending support earlier than that

If you quote me or are replying to me please @ me. Thanks

8 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you could just install something like linux or esxi and run windows 7 in a vm and pass it though a gpu. Why do you want windows 7 anyways, its 9 years old and missing lots of features and much less secure.

Some may dislike Windows 10, but still require a Windows OS for gaming. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

7 hours ago, Trik'Stari said:

Some of us have very limited bandwidth that we don't want taken up by telemetry, not to mention the lack of reliability caused by forced automatic updates.

Sure, you can block those things on a networking level, but I really don't want to have to fight with my OS almost constantly.

they why not run linux, OSX, freeBSD, openBSD or one of the many other OS's out that. windows 7 is outdated, not very secure.

10 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you could just install something like linux or esxi and run windows 7 in a vm and pass it though a gpu. Why do you want windows 7 anyways, its 9 years old and missing lots of features and much less secure.

Citation fucking needed.

-------

Current Rig

-------

15 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

they why not run linux, OSX, freeBSD, openBSD or one of the many other OS's out that. windows 7 is outdated, not very secure.

Windows 7 is still a fairly secure OS, in regards to its competition. It receives the same security updates as Win 10, and most vulnerabilities are shared. The key differences, regarding security, are the fact that Win 10 can supplement aftermarket antivirus with Windows Defender and that it has a few more vulnerabilities.

Really, the whole "outdated" argument is not a sound reason to cut support for Win 7 on Ryzen and Kaby.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.