there will be no Windows 7 ZEN drivers - AMD confirmed it

zMeul

source: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3167279/computers/amd-sorry-there-will-be-no-official-ryzen-drivers-for-windows-7.html

via: http://digiworthy.com/2017/02/09/amd-ryzen-drivers-for-windows-7/

yk_10450-ryzen-logo-color-amd-440x250-v2

you should not believe rumors and only what comes from the mouths of the actual people involved, in this case AMD

“To achieve the highest confidence in the performance of our AMD Ryzen desktop processors (formerly code-named ‘Summit Ridge’), AMD validated them across two different OS generations, Windows 7 and 10,” AMD said in a statement in response to a question from PCWorld. “However, only support and drivers for Windows 10 will be provided in AMD Ryzen desktop processor production parts.

AMD is maintaining a position that it, along with Intel and Microsoft, has held for the last year. In January 2016, Microsoft said that Intel’s Kaby Lake and AMD’s Ryzen would only be supported under Windows 10, and reiterated that position last August.

AMD said it validated if Zen works on Windows 7, but did not say they will actually support it

---

my guess is that ComputerBase.DE misspoke when originally reported Zen will get W7 drivers - must've been AMD saying they validated W7, and CB.de interpreting it wrong

---

let's get some things straight because I see a lot of people misrepresenting the issue

the problem is not directly the CPU (RyZen), but the chipset drivers - unless AMD didn't do major augments to the x86 arch, Windows doesn't need specific Zen kernel patches for W7, neither W10 (for that matter)

the issues are the chipset family, and the other integrated devices in the CPU and chipset - integrated graphics, USB, SATA controller (RAID) .. etc

Edited by zMeul

That's a bummer... I was going to get one because of rumored w7 support :( 

Intel i7 3770k@4.7GHz delidded NZXT Kraken x62 Asus P8Z77-V PRO/Thunderbolt | G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW

Phanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W P2 | 840 evo 256gb + HyperX 3k 480gb + 2 HDD (2TB) Asus Essence STX + Sennheiser HD580

AOC G2460PG 144Hz 24" + Asus VH236H 23" | Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Stealth | Logitech G703

Windows 10 Pro

Pixelbook 2017 (i5, 8GB, 128GB)

3 minutes ago, Glacius2 said:

The processors will still work, so it's not like anyone should be bummed.

It'll still work but there will probably be annoying issues people may struggle with for awhile, especially if they're not tech savvy. 

Although it's expected. Best to grow tall rather than long and thin 

1 minute ago, Wolther said:

It'll still work but there will probably be annoying issues people may struggle with for awhile, especially if they're not tech savvy. 

Although it's expected. Best to grow tall rather than long and thin 

Different ladies are into different things...

15 minutes ago, Ekst4zy said:

you could just install something like linux or esxi and run windows 7 in a vm and pass it though a gpu. Why do you want windows 7 anyways, its 9 years old and missing lots of features and much less secure.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you could just install something like linux or esxi and run windows 7 in a vm and pass it though a gpu. Why do you want windows 7 anyways, its 9 years old and missing lots of features and much less secure.

Muh NSA

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

3 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Well, IMO w7 is a great OS and I want to run it. I don't like w10 at all. w7 support was huge for me and now I'm not sure if i still want to upgrade... sue me.

Intel i7 3770k@4.7GHz delidded NZXT Kraken x62 Asus P8Z77-V PRO/Thunderbolt | G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB (2x8GB) 2400Mhz | EVGA GTX 1070 FTW

Phanteks Eclipse P400 Tempered Glass | EVGA SuperNOVA 750W P2 | 840 evo 256gb + HyperX 3k 480gb + 2 HDD (2TB) Asus Essence STX + Sennheiser HD580

AOC G2460PG 144Hz 24" + Asus VH236H 23" | Razer Blackwidow Tournament Edition Stealth | Logitech G703

Windows 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, Ekst4zy said:

Well, IMO w7 is a great OS and I want to run it. I don't like w10 at all. w7 support was huge for me and now I'm not sure if i still want to upgrade... sue me.

windows 7 is outdated, wether you like it or not.

6 minutes ago, manikyath said:

windows 7 is outdated, wether you like it or not.

I honestly don't care. All I said is that it's a deal breaker FOR ME.

Windows 10 Pro

Where it likely feel down is Microsoft wouldn't certify the drivers so that's an instant death-nail. This is unlikely by choice of AMD, who likely wanted to officially have Windows 7 support.

15 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Where it likely feel down is Microsoft wouldn't certify the drivers so that's an instant death-nail. This is unlikely by choice of AMD, who likely wanted to officially have Windows 7 support.

W7 can use uncertified drives

if AMD actually wanted to deliver W7 drivers, they would've

2 minutes ago, zMeul said:

They still may unofficially. Heck the first build of crimson drivers "unofficially" supports pre-gcn cards. 

They might release drivers and leave it up to the user. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

57 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Why do you want windows 7 anyways

Scientific equipment used for regulatory monitoring and food safety. The software is not compatible yet for windows 8 or higher, and may not be for another couple of years. Being able to replace the aging PCs running the critical systems would have been nice, as the motherboards currently being used are failing.

14 minutes ago, zMeul said:

True but kernel mode drivers can be a little bit of a different story than your typical drivers, if Microsoft themselves have to distribute them. Or this could just be an official support thing and nothing at all to do with drivers. Certainly is a lot of uproar over a now rather old OS that is already out of mainstream support and extended support that ends in 2020.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

True but kernel mode drivers can be a little bit of a different story than your typical drivers, if Microsoft themselves have to distribute them. Or this could just be an official support thing and nothing at all to do with drivers. Certainly is a lot of uproar over a now rather old OS that is already out of mainstream support and extended support that ends in 2020.

you mean microcode?

well, if AMD didn't go too far from the x86 arch there shouldn't be an issue

Just now, zMeul said:

you mean microcode?

well, if AMD didn't go too far from the x86 arch there shouldn't be an issue

No Windows actually has Kernel Mode drivers and User Mode drivers.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/drivers/gettingstarted/user-mode-and-kernel-mode

Fewer things are Kernel Mode now days as that is Microsoft's accepted practice and what they try and enforce. GPU drivers are no longer Kernel Mode which is how they can crash and recover without causing a BSOD. The move to User Mode drivers is one of the big reasons BSOD don't happen as much anymore.

3 hours ago, Ekst4zy said:

Windows 7 is dead. Get over yourself use Windows 10 or go to Linux.

1 hour ago, huilun02 said:

The entity that certifies for W7 wants W7 dead. 

You released uncertified drivers for W7 but then realize the same entity you pissed off also certifies for W10.

Like the one china policy thing. 

They actually have almost removed that in mainland China.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

No.  Windows actually has Kernel Mode drivers and User Mode drivers.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/hardware/drivers/gettingstarted/user-mode-and-kernel-mode

Fewer things are Kernel Mode now days as that is Microsoft's accepted practice and what they try and enforce. GPU drivers are no longer Kernel Mode which is how they can crash and recover without causing a BSOD. The move to User Mode drivers is one of the big reasons BSOD don't happen as much anymore.

*Grammar needs fixing*

1 hour ago, goodtofufriday said:

They still may unofficially. Heck the first build of crimson drivers "unofficially" supports pre-gcn cards. 

They might release drivers and leave it up to the user. 

Nah. They won't do it unofficially.

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

I don't understand what all the fuss is about.

Windows 7 is no longer supported by Microsoft outside of Day 0 Security patches and critical bug fixes.

It makes perfect sense not to officially support Windows 7.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 hours ago, Glacius2 said:

The processors will still work, so it's not like anyone should be bummed.

Yes but if there are any micro code issue then anybody using Windows 7 won't have the critical fix needed for the CPU to work properly.

2 hours ago, leadeater said:

I'm not so sure. A lot of recent programs like the new Origin Client supports Windows 7 and above. So clearly AMD is really in a tight position or they just don't want to take a risk.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Some of us have very limited bandwidth that we don't want taken up by telemetry, not to mention the lack of reliability caused by forced automatic updates.

Sure, you can block those things on a networking level, but I really don't want to have to fight with my OS almost constantly.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

1 hour ago, DrMikeNZ said:

Scientific equipment used for regulatory monitoring and food safety. The software is not compatible yet for windows 8 or higher, and may not be for another couple of years. Being able to replace the aging PCs running the critical systems would have been nice, as the motherboards currently being used are failing.

a really good reason to move away from vendor locked proprietary systems. its the same in industrial applications, very expensive machines are still running win 2000/win xp

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, Trik'Stari said:

Some of us have very limited bandwidth that we don't want taken up by telemetry, not to mention the lack of reliability caused by forced automatic updates.

Sure, you can block those things on a networking level, but I really don't want to have to fight with my OS almost constantly.

i dont have these problems running linux. with an open source system you get choice

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_