Tim Sweeney Says Windows Cloud Is Ransomware

Guest Kloaked
6 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

also, having an out-of-the-box Netflix add-on/plugin would be great. Does Netflix work in the SteamOS browser?

yes it does. The steamos browser is based on chromium.

if you go outside steam I believe there is also an alternate browser ice weasel which is Firefox based.

Anyway they should have an easier to use Netflix app without users having to manually set things up.

14 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

nah, you must use chrome or install the chrome based web app and add them as non steam app to see them on big picture 

14 minutes ago, Humbug said:

yes it does. The steamos browser is based on chromium.

if you go outside steam I believe there is also an alternate browser ice weasel which is Firefox based.

Anyway they should have an easier to use Netflix app without users having to manually set things up.

Two conflicting answers about Netflix :P

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Two conflicting answers about Netflix :P

lol admittedly I haven't tried it myself since I don't use steamos. My answer was based on a quick google search which suggested it now works despite not working previously.

7 hours ago, jagdtigger said:

Not at all. In terms of distros just download a few that you think will be good and try it out in a VM first. (My personal favorites ar Kubuntu, Ubuntu Mate, Linux Mint.)

Ok.  I'll have to check a few of those out sometime.  Thank you.  

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

Yes, but when compared to all the alternatives, a Gaming Only OS makes no sense.

Look at consoles, largely regarded as "simple gaming boxes". They have excellent support for third party apps and media centric features. Hell even MacOS does good in this regard (Kodi, Plex, and Netflix support, among others).

SteamOS just launches Steam. Well that's really not a great selling feature, as all the big Desktop OS's can do that (Linux, Windows, MacOS - granted, Game support varies wildly between them, with Windows keeping the vast majority of support to themselves).

The point is that SteamOS was supposed to be a "Console Killer" OS, when it was nothing of the sort.

This.

If all someone wanted was gaming a game only OS would be ok but I assume most people people would agree with you that it makes no sense.  The reason being that it's rather unlikely a person would never want to do anything else.  

Trying to make console killer when even Windows hasn't done that seems foolish.  lol

On ‎09‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 0:24 AM, Schubaltz said:

I am aware of that, but it's essentially stealing another company's game which Microsoft would be trying to profit from; it's never going to happen and Tim Sweeney is just fear mongering.

it's not stealing. Not support win32 and only UWP would be your choice by buying into the system that doesn't support it. This is like saying Linux is stealing my games then making me pay for wine (I know it's free just making a point) to play them.

It isn't ransom ware, it's not even close.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

I had no intention of ever using windows cloud anyway.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 2017-02-08 at 4:21 PM, Ryan_Vickers said:

That said, doing something like that wouldn't be a first... iTunes does it with your music apparently

When has iTunes done anything like that?

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

2 minutes ago, Bensemus said:

When has iTunes done anything like that?

There was a news story about it a while back where somehow it had kidnapped all the guy's music by uploading it to apple, then deleting it off his hard drive and then charging him for continued access to the cloud service

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.