Tim Sweeney Says Windows Cloud Is Ransomware

Guest Kloaked

YOU MUST NOT BE A ROBOT TO VIEW THIS LINK

sweeney_tim.jpg

Tim Sweeney has spoken out against Microsoft before, such as when he claimed that Microsoft was on their way of monopolizing their Windows Store. He followed it by claiming that Microsoft wanted to break Steam, rendering it unusable and forcing users to either use the Windows Store or if you hate yourself, SteamOS.

But now he's back again saying that Windows Cloud will steal your Steam games and ransom it back to you.

Windows Cloud has not been officially announced or revealed by Microsoft yet. However, a build for it has been leaked and it is essentially a spiritual successor to Windows RT. Cloud is set to be a stripped back version of Windows 10 with some key functionality removed, locking things down to just UWP apps. However, it is rumoured that Windows Cloud users will be able to upgrade to a full version of Windows 10 if they need the extra tools and program support.

Mr. Sweeney himself caught wind of this and proceeded to post a series of tweets on the subject:

He has been vocal in other tweets which you can read if you actually go to the article, which I know many of you don't because you're lazy.

Nobody is going to be forced to use Windows Cloud as the author of the article points out. It's a good point, but the flip side to that is what gamer is going to use Windows Cloud to begin with? We don't know it's full functionality yet, like how it will behave once you don't have an internet connection most importantly. I only see Windows Cloud being popular in schools.

Thoughts?

7 hours ago, cj09beira said:

for those who like to listen:

He seems to be super paranoid and crazy about Microsoft, between this and the last thing he said.

That said, doing something like that wouldn't be a first... iTunes does it with your music apparently xD 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Schubaltz said:

Yeaaaah, if this happens there will be a large lawsuit. They don't own the games, they can't take them from you.

You technically don't own games bought on Steam either.

4 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

I am aware of that, but it's essentially stealing another company's game which Microsoft would be trying to profit from; it's never going to happen and Tim Sweeney is just fear mongering.

2 minutes ago, Schubaltz said:

Yeaaaah, if this happens there will be a large lawsuit. They don't own the games, they can't take them from you.

But they could make changes to their platform that just so happen to make them not work anymore.  It would be stupid, but they could do it.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

1 minute ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

He seems to be super paranoid and crazy about Microsoft, between this and the last thing he said.

That said, doing something like that wouldn't be a first... iTunes does it with your music apparently xD 

yup i agree also no offense Microsoft won't do anything that will kill its user base, it knows about games and trying its best to keep them happy. they went so far as to make a window 10 gaming mode. 

2 minutes ago, Schubaltz said:

that's the only way its going to go down, we really don't have much information just a random person making an accusation based on "leaks". 

my opinion is to wait and see the official release instead of hating on something we have no information on. 

1 minute ago, Schubaltz said:

I am aware of that, but it's essentially stealing another company's game which Microsoft would be trying to profit from; it's never going to happen and Tim Sweeney is just fear mongering.

True. However, I do wonder how different this is from Nvidia's GeForce Now gaming platform.

4 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

True. However, I do wonder how different this is from Nvidia's GeForce Now gaming platform.

Could you elaborate on what that is? Don't think I've heard about this story.

this sort of thing is why valve is making steam OS. If MS does anything this serious we have an alternative platform

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

that's a streaming service whare you stream your games across a handheld or couch. grid is a platform stream you stream from Nvidia server. 

5 minutes ago, Schubaltz said:

Could you elaborate on what that is? Don't think I've heard about this story.

You basically pay a hefty fee for access to your own Windows VM on Nvidia's servers that you can buy and play games on if you don't own a gaming PC, but you do have a PC. My comparison is more aimed at how different it would be because they're both essentially just a VM that you access over the web.

4 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

that's a streaming service whare you stream your games across a handheld or couch. grid is a platform stream you stream from Nvidia server. 

You're still using a Windows VM, much like you would be on Windows Cloud from my understanding. GeForce Now isn't Grid.

5 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

You basically pay a hefty fee for access to your own Windows VM on Nvidia's servers that you can buy and play games on if you don't own a gaming PC, but you do have a PC. My comparison is more aimed at how different it would be because they're both essentially just a VM that you access over the web.

You're still using a Windows VM, much like you would be on Windows Cloud from my understanding. GeForce now isn't Grid.

That's crazy..

I mean, I respect the man for making Unreal Engine.

But um... where's the logic that Microsoft will put a gun to Valve's head and tell them to give them my licenses for the games I bought? Or steal my Steam login info, tell me to pay up if I want it back, and hold a gun to Valve's head saying to not rectify the situation?

10 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I mean, I respect the man for making Unreal Engine.

But um... where's the logic that Microsoft will put a gun to Valve's head and tell them to give them my licenses for the games I bought? Or steal my Steam login info, tell me to pay up if I want it back, and hold a gun to Valve's head saying to not rectify the situation?

Dude please. We have to take everything that smart people who develop game engines say as 100% truth.

Just like how that one guy from DICE is always talking about how Nvidia GameWorks is a blackbox and shit for gaming that can destroy it.

13 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Neither do you when buying a physical copy/disc of a game. Your only ever buying the rights to play the game, the intellectual properly on the disc is always owned by the creator. The only difference is it is much harder to take back a physical disc or revoke your ability to play the game etc.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

Neither do you when buying a physical copy/disc of a game. Your only ever buying the rights to play the game, the intellectual properly on the disc is always owned by the creator. The only difference is it is much harder to take back a physical disc or revoke your ability to play the game etc.

True, but you do have the physical disk in that sense. If you haven't downloaded your entire Steam library and Steam goes poof, you're SOL.

24 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

You own the licenses which refer to an instance of the games which you've bought. The only thing you don't own is the IP of the game. The instance of the game that you paid for, you own. And even if for some reason you can't access your Steam account, owning the license entitles you to play the games you own licenses for.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

For as smart as this guy should be... I just think he's completely insane now.

Sure it sucks that you won't be able to run regular x86 apps on those devices... but that was the same garbage we saw we RT. It didn't sell well back then, it still ain't gonna sell today.

No one in their right mind will buy into a locked down OS like this. The minute they realize they can't have their "regular" applications because there's no Windows Store version, it will be returned to the store. Even with the ability to "upgrade" to a "full OS", who will want to pay extra for this? At that point, they may as well just buy a new PC with the full version of Windows built-in. Unless they price these devices to be dirt cheap.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

43 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Its kind of impossible for your ability to play a game to be revoked if you have an internet connection, use a non-ISP supplied DNS, a VPN and a seedbox...

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

So uh, Windows Cloud is competitor to Chromebook so whatever anyway. Don't care for both of them.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

8 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

Its kind of impossible for your ability to play a game to be revoked if you have an internet connection, use a non-ISP supplied DNS, a VPN and a seedbox...

For the games that require always on internet connection it would be very simple no matter what you do, other than fake the server end/crack the game. Looking at you Ubisoft >:(.