The Big Question: Should I Buy a Gaming PC or a Nintendo Switch?

All right, this is the question that's been bugging me for a while now. Should I get a ~$1100 gaming PC, or a Nintendo Switch? I absolutely want both (I'm a huge fan of PC games and Nintendo franchises), but I can only afford one in the foreseeable future. I'll post a few bullet points of information that might help you decide what you think I should purchase. I will take your opinions into consideration, and not as a definite answer. Please do not, for instance, say "Ofc PC," or so on, strictly because on is more powerful than the other, or because of the number of bullet points over the other. PC games and Switch games are equal in fun to me. Thank you.

Pro-PC

1) I would have way more games I could play on a PC than a Switch.

2) It will help with other computer-related tasks other than gaming.

3) A PC's lifetime will arguably be much longer than Switch's one console generation of ~6 years or so. For example, my current PC is 8 y/o and still works fine. (Though, it has a super-low end Radeon HD 7770, 6GB RAM, and an i3-2120 3.2 GHz CPU that can run most of the modern games I care about, granted at super, super low settings.)

4) A fair amount of fun games are F2P, and I don't see myself purchasing any more games than the ones I have right now for now, thus less money spent on purchasing games.

5) ^Thus, I will need to spend money to actually purchase games for the Switch because I would not already have games for it, unlike the games I already have for PC.

6) I will have roughly 0 friends who will also have a Switch to play online with. All of my friends have gaming-capable PC's.

7) Online multiplayer does not require a subscription.

8) Mods.

Pro-Switch

1) I only have ~$800 saved, and do not have a job (am currently a college student), so I have no real way to save up the last $300 for a gaming PC. The gaming PC costs ~$1100. So, I would have to wait to play games in high-fidelity.

2) I wouldn't be limited to playing video games in my room; I can play it anywhere.

3) Since I am a college student, I do not have all the time in the world to play games. A $300 Switch might be a more worthwhile investment for the amount of gaming time per dollar rather than a $1100 PC.

4) PC hardware will advance over the Switch's lifetime and also drop in price. So after the Switch's cycle ends, or maybe before it if I miraculously have enough money to purchase a gaming PC, due to the dropping in price. I may also be able to afford a better PC than I was thinking about getting now. I would have a Switch AND an even more excellent PC.

5) I cannot play all the games I own due to them being too demanding for my PC, or they do work but it is not a smooth and enjoyable experience.

6) If I purchase a PC, I will not be able to play my beloved Nintendo franchises.

EDIT: Oh, and I can probably sell some stuff I don't need anymore to obtain some more money. For example, some of the computer components in my current crap build, or some other stuff I own. Granted, I don't know if they would be worth too much.

Those are all of the points I can think of at the moment. So, what do you think I should do? I'll probably be too hesitant to shell out either amount of money, regardless. :) Thanks.

I would buy the Switch when it (hopefully) has a decent library of games.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I would buy the Switch when it (hopefully) has a decent library of games.

I feel like I would somehow have the extra $300 I need for the gaming PC by then.

Best option would be to wait for the Switch to drop in price, that way you have better bang for your buck.

1 minute ago, Schubaltz said:

Best option would be to wait for the Switch to drop in price, that way you have better bang for your buck.

I also feel like the time it would take for that to happen would be after I somehow gain an extra $300 for my PC.

4 minutes ago, Kyle8497 said:

I also feel like the time it would take for that to happen would be after I somehow gain an extra $300 for my PC.

Well, you don't have much to lose. I'd definitely get a PC first. 

What are your full specs? I'm sure one of us can make a build for a good system around $800.

I would wait to see how the Switch does on launch. I'm getting myself one since I'm a Nintendo fanboy and could care less about graphics when Mario and Zelda are much more fun than the typically cited games on PC (Battlefield and CoD) but I'm an RTS/RPG gamer. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

7 minutes ago, Kyle8497 said:

Snip! 

Couldn't you just get a 1080p machine for approx 800, and get the switch later?

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

What are your full specs? I'm sure one of us can make a build for a good system around $800.

I would wait to see how the Switch does on launch. I'm getting myself one since I'm a Nintendo fanboy and could care less about graphics when Mario and Zelda are much more fun than the typically cited games on PC (Battlefield and CoD) but I'm an RTS/RPG gamer. 

1 minute ago, Aelar_Nailo said:

Couldn't you just get a 1080p machine for approx 800, and get the switch later?

I want to try and future proof my gaming PC, however, and aim for gaming at higher than 1080p60. Here's my planned PC build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Kyle8497/saved/Tn8bvK. I want the biggest and the best (Though, $600 for a 1080 is just too much LOL. So, a 1070).

Maybe I should wait and see if Zen will offer promising performance for a lower price than Intel's CPU's.

2 minutes ago, Kyle8497 said:

I want to try and future proof my gaming PC, however, and aim for gaming at higher than 1080p60. Here's my planned PC build: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Kyle8497/saved/Tn8bvK. I want the biggest and the best (Though, $600 for a 1080 is just too much LOL. So, a 1070).

I would try to get the pc first, because even if you can't afford the gpu, kaby integrated is nothing to shake a stick at. Also, you can use it for your college things.

As #muricaparrotgang's founder, I invite you to join our ranks today.

"My name is Legion 'Murica Parrot Gang, for we are many."

(We actually welcome all forms of animated parrot gifs.)

The artist formerly known as Aelar_Nailo.

Profile Pic designed by the very lovely @Red :)!

2 minutes ago, Aelar_Nailo said:

I would try to get the pc first, because even if you can't afford the gpu, kaby integrated is nothing to shake a stick at. Also, you can use it for your college things.

Oh, that's absolutely true! I didn't even think about the potential integrated graphics Kaby Lake has. It has to be better than the garbage GPU I'm currently using. I am just used to integrated graphics being even filthier trash. I will have to look up some benchmarks for it.

More work could be done. 

Spoiler

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Rb6Zr7
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Rb6Zr7/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($234.74 @ OutletPC) 
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 74.3 CFM CPU Cooler  ($24.88 @ OutletPC) 
Motherboard: MSI Z170A PC MATE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($106.70 @ OutletPC) 
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($116.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 275GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($89.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.33 @ OutletPC) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 480 8GB GTR Video Card  ($254.93 @ Amazon) 
Case: DIYPC G580-BK ATX Mid Tower Case  ($66.98 @ Newegg) 
Total: $944.34
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-08 19:22 EST-0500

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

11 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

More work could be done. 

Hide contents

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($116.89 @ OutletPC) 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($49.33 @ OutletPC) 

I appreciate your efforts, but I feel like we're sacrificing too much here for a lower price. I'd say that market price drops in ~November would be good enough.

2 minutes ago, Kyle8497 said:

I appreciate your efforts, but I feel like we're sacrificing too much here for a lower price. I'd say that market price drops in ~November would be good enough.

Sacrificing where?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Sacrificing where?

-The GPU, definitely. I'm trying to go beyond 1080p60, and simultaneously future proof the build.

-Some features with the motherboard, including (possible) future proofing. (At least from what I think I know. I'm not sure if Z170's will become outdated on their own, or with the Z270's)

-Reducing the SSD storage space by almost half, and replacing it with an HDD (I plan on reusing my current HDD for additional storage).

-Some potential features with the CPU. I feel like saving $10 on the motherboard and thus reducing the build down to a 6600k (granted, they're only barely different in performance) is not worth it. I'm all about future proofing, and I feel like saving that $10 would not be worth it, especially since the 7600k and 6600k are almost identical in price, and the 7600k performs slightly better.

My information might be wrong. Feel free to correct me. I just want the best from what I can afford.

In your case, get a PC. Why?

The Switch is certainly awesome. But like any other consoles, the first year is dry of games, until the second year.

So if you wait:

• You won't have kill yourself to try and find the system for the first 3-4 months of release.
  • The system will come with a bundled game (I expect them to be released by year end, with either Zelda or 1-2-Switch).
  • These early released games would probably drop in price a bit. Although, maybe not Zelda... Nintendo like to keep the price high on these high profile game (not to mention that it costs a lot to make for Nintendo. This is Nintendo's biggest game to date), but the other games would drop in price.

In the mean time, you have a nice PC to play games. That said.... if you wait... you'll get Nvidia Volta new architecture GPU coming up by year end (if no further delays), and Intel new CPU (although still based on Skylake architecture. It will be using a 10nm process. Intel new architecture is coming up in 2018).

Alternatively, I don't know how your CPU compares to mine. I have a Core i7 930 (none-OC), with 6GB of RAM like you, and GeForce 680.

I can play games at medium/high settings, or medium settings (depending on the game). Most games are more GPU intensive then CPU. If your CPU is similar in performance as mine, I think you can get a Switch, a new GPU, and maybe an SSD if you don't have one already, and you'll have a great experience in total.

And later on you can upgrade your CPU/Motherboard/RAM. That said, it does mean you'll miss out on the new tech.. but then again there is always something new, and also it depends on what you can wait or not.

But if you pan to get the Switch, be sure that you have enough games... as you don't want to gall in a drought. It helps if you are completionist, of course.

No brainer, get the PC.  The switch will in time drop substantially in price, and have more games available.   Not to mention you avoid the early adopter issues.

PC - NZXT H510 Elite, Ryzen 5600, 16GB DDR3200 2x8GB, EVGA 3070 FTW3 Ultra, Asus VG278HQ 165hz,

Mac - 1.4ghz i5, 4GB DDR3 1600mhz, Intel HD 5000.  x2

Endlessly wishing for a BBQ in space.

14 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

More work could be done. 

Hide contents

I almost critiqued your case choice until I saw it. It comes with 5 fans????? Damn

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

8 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

I almost critiqued your case choice until I saw it. It comes with 5 fans????? Damn

The more fans the better :)

8 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

In your case, get a PC. Why?

The Switch is certainly awesome. But like any other consoles, the first year is dry of games, until the second year.

So if you wait:

• You won't have kill yourself to try and find the system for the first 3-4 months of release.
  • The system will come with a bundled game (I expect them to be released by year end, with either Zelda or 1-2-Switch).
  • These early released games would probably drop in price a bit. Although, maybe not Zelda... Nintendo like to keep the price high on these high profile game (not to mention that it costs a lot to make for Nintendo. This is Nintendo's biggest game to date), but the other games would drop in price.

In the mean time, you have a nice PC to play games. That said.... if you wait... you'll get Nvidia Volta new architecture GPU coming up by year end (if no further delays), and Intel new CPU (although still based on Skylake architecture. It will be using a 10nm process. Intel new architecture is coming up in 2018).

Alternatively, I don't know how your CPU compares to mine. I have a Core i7 930 (none-OC), with 6GB of RAM like you, and GeForce 680.

I can play games at medium/high settings, or medium settings (depending on the game). Most games are more GPU intensive then CPU. If your CPU is similar in performance as mine, I think you can get a Switch, a new GPU, and maybe an SSD if you don't have one already, and you'll have a great experience in total.

And later on you can upgrade your CPU/Motherboard/RAM. That said, it does mean you'll miss out on the new tech.. but then again there is always something new, and also it depends on what you can wait or not.

But if you pan to get the Switch, be sure that you have enough games... as you don't want to gall in a drought. It helps if you are completionist, of course.

The lack of good games would be the deal breaker for me with the Switch. By the end of 2017, there would only be 3 games that I would purchase: Zelda, Fast RMX, and Mario Odyssey, and the latter doesn't come out until the end. Far before then, I'd have Zelda already completed, and I would have become jaded of Fast RMX.

In regards to the new technology coming out, I just feel like they would be too expensive, or I would be waiting forever to purchase hardware because there would eternally be new tech right around the corner that could potentially surpass what I'm looking to buy.

Aelar_Nailo made a wonderful point, as well. He/she suggested that I wait on purchasing the GPU and buy everything else due to the relatively powerful iGPU that comes with Kaby Lake (Intel 630). I did some research and it is about as powerful as my current GPU, the Radeon HD 7770. Either that, or I could just temporarily plop in my current GPU into the build if it does end up being a little but more powerful than the iGPU. If I subtract the cost of the 1070 from my build, it would come down to ~$700 which is less than the amount I already have saved up.

Who knows. There are too many factors that go into this.