ios(operating system of ipad NOT IMAC) on vmware?

LUcIfEr GaMeR
2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you can't do that.

also you need arm emualtion

you can get a mac book and sigh up to be a apple dev other than that you can't. 

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

you can get a mac book and sigh up to be a apple dev other than that you can't. 

still cant tun it in a vm, but you can run your app

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

still cant tun it in a vm, but you can run your app

technically a vm but not really. i messed around with it a bit in the 2010 ios era.  

11 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

you can't do that.

also you need arm emualtion

ARM emulation is easy but even then you can't get IOS to install on it anyway.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

if you could somehow emulate the hardware iOS expects, then yes you can, but practically it's not gonna happen.

the problem with both OSX (hackintoshers can probably chip in here) and iOS is that because apple has such a limited range of devices, the OS is only made to "expect" a limited number of hardware configurations. even if you could emulate a full ARM enviroment, it'd have to be exactly as iOS expects to not be unreliable at best.

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

if you could somehow emulate the hardware iOS expects, then yes you can, but practically it's not gonna happen.

the problem with both OSX (hackintoshers can probably chip in here) and iOS is that because apple has such a limited range of devices, the OS is only made to "expect" a limited number of hardware configurations. even if you could emulate a full ARM enviroment, it'd have to be exactly as iOS expects to not be unreliable at best.

Not true of MacOS, as long as you can inject the SMBIOS data during boot MacOS will boot on pretty much any Intel PC from the Core I series (AMD CPU support can be hacked in but its messy and limited) however driver (or Kext) support is heavily restricted, any Apple hardware will have native support but outside of this very few manufacturers bother writing kexts for their hardware on MacOS. The Hackintosh community has developed Realtek HD (ALC Codec) drivers, Atheros have Killer NIC drivers and a few WiFi manufacturers have WiFi drivers plus Nvidia offer support up to Maxwell but other than that if its not used in Apple machines its not supported. The exception is Scanners, Printers and Webcams.

As for iOS, you can't get your hands on it, AFAIK even developers don't get a full version to develop on but its a safe assumption that your totally correct, it will be hardcoded to expect very specific hardware and will point blank refuse to boot if it doesn't find it.

Emulating ARM is easy, heck QEMU has been able to do it for years and profiling Apples A CPUs wouldn't be that hard either (for someone with the right knowledge and experience) but I'm fairly sure Apple would force iOS to look for something more than just the CPU before it boots. You can certainly get emulators that allow the running of iOS apps on other OSes but these will uses abstraction layers and other clever techniques instead of actual hardware emulation.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

5 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Not true of MacOS, as long as you can inject the SMBIOS data during boot MacOS will boot on pretty much any Intel PC from the Core I series (AMD CPU support can be hacked in but its messy and limited) however driver (or Kext) support is heavily restricted, any Apple hardware will have native support but outside of this very few manufacturers bother writing kexts for their hardware on MacOS. The Hackintosh community has developed Realtek HD (ALC Codec) drivers, Atheros have Killer NIC drivers and a few WiFi manufacturers have WiFi drivers plus Nvidia offer support up to Maxwell but other than that if its not used in Apple machines its not supported. The exception is Scanners, Printers and Webcams.

so.. what you just basicly said is "theres community drivers for things like audio, wifi and ethernet, and all the rest are limited to what you could find in an apple device".

15 hours ago, manikyath said:

so.. what you just basicly said is "theres community drivers for things like audio, wifi and ethernet, and all the rest are limited to what you could find in an apple device".

Pretty much but the OS will still boot regardless, the only thing it expects is an Intel Core CPU (I'm fairly certain Pentiums and Celerons do boot as long as they're newer than the P4 era but don't quote me on that) and that's written into Darwin. No Intel CPU then no boot at all, you just get kernel panic.