40 inch 4K TV as monitor

joshov

Hello guys, and thanks for looking at this post!

Looking to upgrade from 2 x 21.5" monitors, to a 40" 4K TV as the primary monitor. I have looked at a few TVs already from numerous providers, but can't pick which one i should go for, and need advice. 

My current graphics card is the GTX 660 Ti, which supports 4K. I will also not be doing any heavy gaming, and at max will play Fifa 16,WoW and some other low demanding games. This TV will mainly be for work related tasks. 

My budget is £400-450, and with that, I have chosen the following TVs that I find somewhat suitable, but need advice before purchasing!

1. Samsung UE40KU6100 40'' Curved LED TV (This is the one I really want) https://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/samsung-ue40ku6100
  2.  Samsung UE40KU6400 40inch Smart Wi-Fi Built-In 4k UHD 2160p LED   https://www.tesco.com/direct/samsung-ue40ku6400-40inch-smart-wi-fi-built-in-4k-uhd-2160p-led-with-freeview-hd/670-8547.prd?skuId=670-8547
  3. Panasonic TX-40DX600B 40 Inch 4K Smart TV (Second choice) http://www.costco.co.uk/view/p/panasonic-tx-40dx600b-40-inch-4k-smart-tv-207653
  4. JVC LT-40C860 Smart 4k Ultra HD 40" LED TV (Has a poor Hz rate of 50) http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-and-home-entertainment/televisions/televisions/jvc-lt-40c860-smart-4k-ultra-hd-40-led-tv-10147291-pdt.html

If anyone has any advice or different suggestions for a TV at 4K, please let me know, as I am itching for a upgrade!

Thank you in advance!

Welcome to the forums!

4K on a 660ti will not be possible. It supports 4K resolution, but that doesn't mean it has the horsepower to run it even on low.

You can still get the TV for the 4K workspace which will be fine, but I think you'll have to downscale your games from 4K to 1080p at best.

That aside I'll answer with a question:
Will a SMART TV be necessary? If you'll using it primary as a monitor I'll doubt that the extra functions that comes with smart will be wasted and useless. Save cash maybe?

I've never been a curved kind of guy, but I can see it usable when it's about this kind of size for PC purposes. I recommend going to a local store and see for yourself and not just going plainly on rewview and "rating".

Since you're working mostly I'd recommend something that has IPS for better colors as well, REALLY look for this.

42 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

Welcome to the forums!

4K on a 660ti will not be possible. It supports 4K resolution, but that doesn't mean it has the horsepower to run it even on low.

You can still get the TV for the 4K workspace which will be fine, but I think you'll have to downscale your games from 4K to 1080p at best.

That aside I'll answer with a question:
Will a SMART TV be necessary? If you'll using it primary as a monitor I'll doubt that the extra functions that comes with smart will be wasted and useless. Save cash maybe?

I've never been a curved kind of guy, but I can see it usable when it's about this kind of size for PC purposes. I recommend going to a local store and see for yourself and not just going plainly on rewview and "rating".

Since you're working mostly I'd recommend something that has IPS for better colors as well, REALLY look for this.

Thanks for your reply. As I will not be gaming 9/10 times, I find this suitable for your needs, and like you mentioned, it will serve well for work related tasks.

Also, i do not care if it is SmartTv or not, but i find it difficult to find a TV which is 4k that does not have SmartTV!

Do you have any suggestions?

I got the Vizio M50-C2 4K UHDTV 50" put LED's behind it, I will say this will never buy a "pc" monitor again and the next upgrade I do is when 8k OLED or something better available and HDR is more set standard. Will be moving up in size though anything more than 70" but long time off as has not progressed far enough to warrant and upgrade for me yet. 

Thermatake Tower 900 Build
Intel® Core™ i7-7700K @5.3GHz -2AVX / ROG MAXIMUS IX APEX + EK-FB ASUS M9A Monoblock 
ROG-POSEIDON-GTX1080TI 11Gb @2114MHz/5780Mhz / DIMM.2 970 EVO 2TB NVMe PCIe M.2 x2 RAID 0
EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 P2 80+ PLATINUM / Hisense 65" H9 Plus 4k HDR

3 minutes ago, H3LLSMAN said:

I got the Vizio M50-C2 4K UHDTV 50" put LED's behind it, I will say this will never buy a "pc" monitor again and the next upgrade I do is when 8k OLED or something better available and HDR is more set standard. Will be moving up in size though anything more than 70" but long time off as has not progressed far enough to warrant and upgrade for me yet. 

Thank you for your reply!

So do you think the TVs i have listed above are good enough? if so which one shall I be going for the most?

2 minutes ago, joshov said:

Thank you for your reply!

So do you think the TVs i have listed above are good enough? if so which one shall I be going for the most?

I would go for the curved I have not compared all the specs of the tvs there but curved is another feature I want too. 

Intel® Core™ i7-7700K @5.3GHz -2AVX / ROG MAXIMUS IX APEX + EK-FB ASUS M9A Monoblock 
ROG-POSEIDON-GTX1080TI 11Gb @2114MHz/5780Mhz / DIMM.2 970 EVO 2TB NVMe PCIe M.2 x2 RAID 0

1 minute ago, H3LLSMAN said:

I would go for the curved I have not compared all the specs of the tvs there but curved is another feature I want too. 

Thanks!

1 minute ago, joshov said:

Thanks!

You will love it over a dual or triple monitor setup now a days alot more immersive without the bezels there is no reason for that when you can have a single large high rez panel. Atleast for gaming, productivity there might be some reasons for multiple monitor vs single even with rez factored in.  

8 minutes ago, H3LLSMAN said:

You will love it over a dual or triple monitor setup now a days alot more immersive without the bezels there is no reason for that when you can have a single large high rez panel. Atleast for gaming, productivity there might be some reasons for multiple monitor vs single even with rez factored in.  

Yeah I get what you are saying! I just don't really know how to read specs properly when it comes down to display! 

15 minutes ago, joshov said:

Thanks for your reply. As I will not be gaming 9/10 times, I find this suitable for your needs, and like you mentioned, it will serve well for work related tasks.

Also, i do not care if it is SmartTv or not, but i find it difficult to find a TV which is 4k that does not have SmartTV!

Do you have any suggestions?

If smart or non-smart are equally priced and you find something that fits from either you should just go for that.

Hmm, for productivity you're not really getting the best colors for any of your choices. Are you able to stretch your budget?

If not; Do you need color accurate TV's? As in on point perfect or do you just want a 4K tv with good colors?

But again, rather than having myself recommend a TV that suits you.

Please go to a local tech store and make your decision based on that visual experience!

5 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

If smart or non-smart are equally priced and you find something that fits from either you should just go for that.

Hmm, for productivity you're not really getting the best colors for any of your choices. Are you able to stretch your budget?

If not; Do you need color accurate TV's? As in on point perfect or do you just want a 4K tv with good colors?

But again, rather than having myself recommend a TV that suits you.

Please go to a local tech store and make your decision based on that visual experience!

I am not too crazy about the colors being 100% right, long as they are decent. Also, i really only need it for size mainly. 

An easy thing to do is stay away from edge lit LED TVs no matter how much they cost cause it's not better, local array dimming or any multizone system is much better for as good as blacks will get. What country are you from and what is your budget? The model numbers you got look like they are for the EU market

2 hours ago, H3LLSMAN said:

An easy thing to do is stay away from edge lit LED TVs no matter how much they cost cause it's not better, local array dimming or any multizone system is much better for as good as blacks will get. What country are you from and what is your budget? The model numbers you got look like they are for the EU market

Thanks for your reply!

I am from UK, England, hence why I am buying from those specific stores!

My budget is from £400 to 450 

Cheers