Windows Server 2012r2 Cluster Question

Hey all,

Currently I'm working on a project to link two of my servers together in a cluster and combine their storage.  Then after combining the storage I wanted to partition a large amount of it out for a NAS.  I'm fairly novice when it comes to advanced windows server stuff so any help would be appreciated.  Server Info below

Dell R710

2x E5530 8 Core With Hyper Threading

24gb Ram

4x 1 TB HDD

Dell R410

1x L5540 4 Core With Hyper Threading

8gb RAM

4x 2TB HDD

Note:  I'm also putting a 10Gb NIC in both and configuring a path for quick transfers.  

"45 ACP because shooting twice is silly!"

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

*snip

Dell Perc6i's I believe.  I'm unsure whether to run them as individual disks or RAID them into RAID5 for each set on the servers. 

1 minute ago, Nikolithebear said:

Dell Perc6i's I believe.  I'm unsure whether to run them as individual disks or RAID them into RAID5 for each set on the servers. 

since you have a perc 6i that can't do jbod, id make them a raid 5 on both.

OOPS you need server 2016 datacenter to do this, you can't do this on 2012r2. Server 2012r2 doesn't have a good distrubited storage solution. You have DFS, but its pretty bad.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

As a student I can get my hands on the datacenter version so dont worry!  

1 minute ago, Nikolithebear said:

As a student I can get my hands on the datacenter version so dont worry!  

put 2016 on them and get to work

https://msandbu.wordpress.com/2015/09/06/setting-up-storage-spaces-direct-on-windows-server-2016-tp3/

basically you then setup volumes when you need storage.

Id probaly suggest you setup them up as 2 seprate nas's and just manage the storage between them.

2 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Cool!  Ill start working on it tomorrow, for now its time for bed.  Thanks for the help! 

When the hell did Storage Spaces Direct get changed to 2 node minimum, I remember when it was 4 then the big news when it was 3 but 2??!?! How did I not know.

@Nikolithebear

Officially your supposed to use HBA controllers so the storage bus for the disks is SATA or SAS, using a RAID card in RAID mode will set the bus mode to RAID. You'll have to do some manual overriding to get it to work but that's fine, I've done it.

Yeah, not sure how long its been but since September, 2 node minimum has been a thing. You need 4 node to be able to use the multi tier volumes and erasure coding though.

1 hour ago, lil_killa said:

Yeah, not sure how long its been but since September, 2 node minimum has been a thing. You need 4 node to be able to use the multi tier volumes and erasure coding though.

So if you want a useful Storage Spaces cluster it's still 4 :P. Surprised multi-resilient virtual disks wouldn't be supported, erasure coding is fully expected due to how that works.