Take back my 4k for a 1440p ultrawide?

ActuallyGoose
16 minutes ago, Mufastang said:

Yeah, I get what you mean.. I just recently watched HardwareCanucks video on ultrawide 21:9 vs UHD 4K, and just thought that the ultrawide would be better for both gaming and editing. Although since I know nothing about either really, I just wanted to see what more experienced people would say 

To add to my last, best thing you can do is view them, only you can decide really. Its easy to advise on hardware cause Performance:$$$. But monitors, mice, keyboards are personal preference. Id prefer the crisper image of the 4K, you might prefer the larger size of the UW

Ryzen Ram Guide

My Project Logs   Iced Blood    Temporal Snow    Temporal Snow Ryzen Refresh

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

Well looks like i started some shit.. Well, I kind of caused it unintentionally. But I think the main gist of what everyone is saying is stick with the 4k since you lose out on more changing to 1440p ultrawide? Right?.. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D  | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz | GPU:  MSI GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition | Case: NZXT H700i | PSU: Corsair CX750M | Storage:  2TB Samsung SSD + 6TB WD HDD | Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB | Mouse: Logitech G604

1 minute ago, stealth80 said:

To add to my last, best thing you can do is view them, only you can decide really. Its easy to advise on hardware cause Performance:$$$. But monitors, mice, keyboards are personal preference. Id prefer the crisper image of the 4K, you might prefer the larger size of the UW

Yeah, there's not really anywhere nearby that I can really look at these though. Nowhere really has monitors on display, Mainly just tv's. Although I think I will stick with the monitor I have. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5800X3D  | Motherboard: ASUS ROG Crosshair VI Hero | RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz | GPU:  MSI GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition | Case: NZXT H700i | PSU: Corsair CX750M | Storage:  2TB Samsung SSD + 6TB WD HDD | Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB | Mouse: Logitech G604

1 minute ago, Mufastang said:

Well looks like i started some shit.. Well, I kind of caused it unintentionally. But I think the main gist of what everyone is saying is stick with the 4k since you lose out on more changing to 1440p ultrawide? Right?.. 

essentially, a 1440p ultrawide is a 4k monitor with 25% sliced off the top. liiterally all you'd be winning is the street cred of having an ultrawide, which is more of a downside than anything IMO because a LOT of use cases still have issues with it.

4 minutes ago, Mufastang said:

Haha nah, just someone called you out, kinda rude and he was wrong anyway. At least make sure you know about a subject before you lecture on it.

I'd be pretty happy with a 4k screen especially with 2x 1080s, they'd be pretty overkill for 1440P imo

Ryzen Ram Guide

CPU - Ryzen 1700 @ 4Ghz  Motherboard - Gigabyte AX370 Aorus Gaming 5   Ram - 16Gb GSkill Trident Z RGB 3200  GPU - Palit 1080GTX Gamerock Premium  Storage - Samsung XP941 256GB, Crucial MX300 525GB, Seagate Barracuda 1TB   PSU - Fractal Design Newton R3 1000W  Case - INWIN 303 White Display - Asus PG278Q Gsync 144hz 1440P

I'd be pretty happy with a 4k screen especially with 2x 1080s, they'd be pretty overkill for 1440P imo

actually.. this..

OP, do you have something else planned for those 1080p panels? if they're on stands that rotate you can put them vertical next to your main display :D

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

actually.. this..

OP, do you have something else planned for those 1080p panels? if they're on stands that rotate you can put them vertical next to your main display :D

@Mufastang lol I completely misread your OP, I read 2x 1080's as 2x 1080 GTX! Erm 4k gaming on a 390X aint gonna be great, might be better off with that UW 1440P after all :/

Ryzen Ram Guide

3 minutes ago, stealth80 said:

@Mufastang lol I completely misread your OP, I read 2x 1080's as 2x 1080 GTX! Erm 4k gaming on a 390X aint gonna be great, might be better off with that UW 1440P after all :/

when streaming is on the list, ultrawide is essentially a no-no because streaming hardware, software, and services are *NOT* made with UW in mind.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

when streaming is on the list, ultrawide is essentially a no-no because streaming hardware, software, and services are *NOT* made with UW in mind.

Well stick with the 4k then and crossfire a 390x and have free heating!

Ryzen Ram Guide

Well stick with the 4k then and crossfire a 390x and have free heating!

or run your games at a lower res, as you would be doing with an ultrawide anyways ;)

Alright. Thanks to everyone that's helped me out. So yeah, I don't have any intentiosn of using those two 1080's just kind of sitting there until my little brother might use one, or maybe give one to a friend i'm trying to get into PC gaming. More or less I just can't use them because dual or tri monitor displays with them seem to flicker like crazy, and I couldn;t figure out what was wrong. Also yeah, I've noticed that 4k is pretty demanding on my 390. I thought Maybe I'd get away with turning down shadows/shaders and AA etc. all the eye candy I wouldn't need on 4k. But even that seems to cause problems with some games.

Add: Also, I've been running the games in 1440p since they still look beautiful, and I can easily run them maxed @60fps Just might have to wait for the next gpu's to come out and hope to god their as good as amd says

17 minutes ago, manikyath said:

actually.. this..

I actually wanted to do something Like this, Since I do a lot of editing I wanted to try and have them on either side to have a dedicated timeline and other panels on each monitor. Although like I said, they hate me and refuse to play nice with the new guy 

2 minutes ago, Mufastang said:

Alright. Thanks to everyone that's helped me out. So yeah, I don't have any intentiosn of using those two 1080's just kind of sitting there until my little brother might use one, or maybe give one to a friend i'm trying to get into PC gaming. More or less I just can't use them because dual or tri monitor displays with them seem to flicker like crazy, and I couldn;t figure out what was wrong. Also yeah, I've noticed that 4k is pretty demanding on my 390. I thought Maybe I'd get away with turning down shadows/shaders and AA etc. all the eye candy I wouldn't need on 4k. But even that seems to cause problems with some games.

you can always run games in windowed 1440p as well, keeping those extra pixels for something useful.

or when you turn to streaming, have the game at 1080p in one corner, OBS next to it, chat below, and a corner for garbage like cpu usage monitoring and the like :P

7 minutes ago, manikyath said:

you can always run games in windowed 1440p as well, keeping those extra pixels for something useful.

or when you turn to streaming, have the game at 1080p in one corner, OBS next to it, chat below, and a corner for garbage like cpu usage monitoring and the like :P

I tried that. I wasn't a fan of how small the game was, And I think I really need to find a way to get the other 2 monitors working with my 4k. Because I'd love to be able to have 2 screens entirely for obs and the chat. Although I have no idea how to make it work or what's wrong in the first place (Unless you know what's wrong? :P ) please..

I tried that. I wasn't a fan of how small the game was, And I think I really need to find a way to get the other 2 monitors working with my 4k. Because I'd love to be able to have 2 screens entirely for obs and the chat. Although I have no idea how to make it work or what's wrong in the first place (Unless you know what's wrong? :P ) please..

have you tried with just one? your GPU may not like 3 displays :P

That's what i tried 1st, Even just one wasn't mashing well. Maybe I have to just tweak some settings, Or maybe it was just Radeons drivers being stupid 

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

1440p ultrawide?! wth does that even mean o.O

1440p is 16:9 aspect ratio and the resolution is 2560×1440 pixels

1 hour ago, zMeul said:

what!?

because there are fucking standards and 1440p means 2560*1440

the "p" in 1440p, 1080p, 720p, 2160p is universal language for 16:9 aspect ratio

the correct term for 3440*1440 is WQHDWide Quad High Definition

50 minutes ago, zMeul said:

that comes from? broadcast

that comes from? TVs

and what aspect ratio are LCD TVs? 16:9

48 minutes ago, zMeul said:

as I said, LCD TVs, digital broadcast

What is this nonsense..

2 minutes ago, MVPernula said:

What is this nonsense..

Don't even get started with that again xD 

Don't even get started with that again xD 

I'm so confused :D

3 hours ago, zMeul said:

what!?

because there are fucking standards and 1440p means 2560*1440

the "p" in 1440p, 1080p, 720p, 2160p is universal language for 16:9 aspect ratio

the correct term for 3440*1440 is WQHDWide Quad High Definition

wrong, "p" does not refer to aspect ratio.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

i am waiting for 4k PC m onitors with HDR..

just because PS4 looks like ass or xbox one on a 2k monitor