Is my Hard Drive Dead/Dying?

I have a mediocre laptop that I've been using for gaming and lately Windows has been starting to freeze up where all windows related apps stop responding such as the task bar and everything starts running very slowly and freezing and unfreezing. The power button doesn't work so every time it happens I have to force restart. It used to do this every now and then but now it does it every time I start up the laptop and it probably lasts about 5 minutes before freezing up. The reason I think its the hard drive is because my laptop's hard drive is pretty awful to begin with and it takes about 15 minutes to start up. So is my hard drive dying or is it something else? If it is my hard drive I plan to replace my current Western Digital 500GB 2.5" SATA III (WD5000LPCX) with a Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 2.5" SATA III. Is this a good replacement if I'm looking for an upgrade without buying an SSD?

check it using crystalDiskInfo, it will show the smart data from the disk to see if its failing

idk

This might be more of a process of elimination.

Have you ran any disk checking utilities? You can run one from within Windows at first, or boot off a CD or USB to perform the check outside of the OS if the system crashes too soon.

Hi @AvocadoTech!

It could be related to the HDD of your laptop, but jsut so we can be sure that's the case I'd suggest to run a diagnostic test on the hard disk with our tool Data Lifeguard Diagnostics and see if anything abnormal will be detected. You can download it from here:

http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=WYq8Jc

However, before you run the test make sure that everything important is backed up on another location and safely secured there.

If it turns out that there is some serious issue with your drive though, then it will be best to replace it and the HDD you mentioned should do the job IMO. 

Hope this helps and let me know how it went. Also, feel free to upload some screenshots so I can take a look. :)

If this post helped you, please like and choose it as a best answer.   :)
http://www.wdc.com/en/