"No Signal" when I try run Monitor in lower resolution

So I recently built a new Gaming PC and for a while i played my games on my old Dell 1920x1080 screen. However, I recently upgraded to an "Acer Predator XB271HK" hoping to play with a 1440p resolution on the 4K screen and later play them at 4K when a capable and affordable 4K card comes out. I plugged it in via a Display Port cable to my GPU and checked the PC had all drivers up to date.

I then attempted to change my screen resolution in the 'NVIDIA Control Panel' from (3840 x 2160 native) to (2560 x 1440) but my screen went black and a "no signal" message appeared. I tried to create a 'custom resolution' but when I tried to test it the screen still went black and the same message appeared. Both times the 'Refresh Rate' was at 60Hz.

I was able to change my resolution to (2560 x 1440) in Windows settings but not in game.

I decided to keep the display at the native resolution and attempt to change the resolution of games in the actual game menus. Once again the screen went black and the error message appeared. (Audio of game still plays in the background)

I swapped out my DP for a HDMI 2.0 (https://www.amazon.co.uk/AmazonBasics-High-Speed-HDMI-2-0-Cable/dp/B014I8SSD0) and switched inputs on my monitor. I could now change to a lower resolution but only at a 30Hz refresh rate. Again I went into the 'NVIDIA Control Panel' and tried to change my refresh rate but the max available to me was 30Hz. I tried to customise but when I put in 60Hz and tested it the screen went black and the error message popped up. I am sure that the cable is High Speed 2.0 as it is written on the cable itself.

DP: Cannot lower resolutiuon

HDMI 2.0: Cannot get abover 30Hz

All games run off Steam with the exception of Star Citizen which is the only game resolution I can change. (Not that it matters since their netcode is pretty bad with basically 6fps xD)

All games run in 4K albeit at an average of 32fps with the PC running at full pelt (Nothing is overclocked)

I have tried launching games both in Steam and as .exe

Games that I have tried:

• Just Cause 3
  • Hitman 47
  • No Man's Sky
  • Planet Coaster
  • Dying Light
  • The Witcher 3

PC Specs:

CPU: i7-6700k

GPU: Zotac GTX 1070 Amp Extreme Edition

RAM: 16GB

Storage: WD 250GB SSD / WD SSD 500GB

Motherboard: Maximus VIII Hero

Display: Acer Predator XB271HK 27 inch Wide screen Monitor (IPS, 4K, 16:9) 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Acer-Predator-XB271HK-screen-Monitor/dp/B0194Q8WC8

I have tried two different HDMI 2.0's and two different DP's yet I still get the same results

I simply wish to play games at (2560 x 1440) at 60fps

I have spent the past week visiting sites that report similar issues with a black screen but it is when they try to change to 4K and not from it.

I am pretty sure it is not a GPU problem as the GPU has proven it can run games at both resolutions with the HDMI 2.0 albiet at a clunky 30Hz on the monitor.

Sorry for the lengthy post, any help would be greatly appreciated.

34 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Try 1080p at 60hz

I get a positive test but a very blurry image (Using DP) Screen still shows no signal message if I try to run a game at a lower res

47 minutes ago, DeccyBee said:

I get a positive test but a very blurry image (Using DP) Screen still shows no signal message if I try to run a game at a lower res

What about HDMI? I think it should be able to run at 60hz at 1080p. 

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

• 1 year later...