Intel NUC as my replacement server

12 hours ago, uzarnom said:

Sorry, my research points toward being able to handle my tasks.

As for the parts list taking out the items i already have (and adjusting for australian prices) around the $400 mark,

It might be an idea to just wait and see what other second hand items come around closer to this spec, and maybe something fanless.

For your server, Hey transcoding can produce a heavy load, and it'll mean you won't have to upgrade for a while, a little off topic but what do you use for transcoding and do you have a script for automation?

Thanks, again :D

the NUC's will be fine.

the idea is how much load are you puttig on it. how much load will the VM's put on it. there's so much more to it than just to say "this isn't powerful enough"

Yes NUC's aren't the most poweful things in the world. They're essentially Low Voltage parts (or even ULV). so about equivelant to either a medium powered ultra-book, or a quad core "pro" laptop

your biggest issue is likely goin gto be having to share cores between VM's instead of having them dedicated. Everything will run, but you do run the risk of having to share resources and impact performance.

for basic use, you'll be fine though. But it'll skew your purchasing decision. You'll want the option with the most Cores first. then combination of cores+threads. 

dual core is going to be painful if you're using multiple VM's because they'll constantly be sharing the same cores. Look for at least a quad core (not just quad thread). that way you can assign VM's dedicated cores, or multiple cores if required.

"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams

System: R9-5950x, ASUS X570-Pro, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070s. 32GB DDR4 @ 3200mhz.

48 minutes ago, Sprawlie said:

Yeah thats fair,

The plan was 2 VM's and see if it  can handle.

i did want to go with the Pentium for more cores.

i decided to build a small cheap itx for $250 so i can upgrade later.

still balancing the 3 things i need to buy though