Apple plans to adopt UMC/UC-E6 as well as USB C and Lightning

matsvg

People need to do their research. This is *not* a port that's going to be on iPads and iPhones. Nor is it a port that's going to be on MacBooks or iMacs.

The UAC port has been added as an additional option under the MiFi certification program for *headphone* developers to use. It was added because:

A) a UAC port is smaller internally than either a lightning or USB-C connector, allowing headphone makers to make better use of internal space.

B) the pinout and expected electrical properties allows the cable to be ran as either USB-C or lightning at USB 2.0 speeds with just a trigger in firmware when a different cable is detected. This means makers can have headphones that come with two seperate cables, one UAC to Lightning and one UAC to USB-C to allow the headphones to work with both an iPhone and a MacBook.

36 minutes ago, liket said:

Some of you need to read the articles, this isn't a replacement for the lightning connector. I wouldn't know what it's for tho, maybe a partnership we don't know of yet.

...also, it's not confirmed, so don't get your panties in a twist just yet.

To me it sounds like it's so you can connect a camera/other device directly to an iPad/iPhone. 

Or this: 

14 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

A) a UAC port is smaller internally than either a lightning or USB-C connector, allowing headphone makers to make better use of internal space.

B) the pinout and expected electrical properties allows the cable to be ran as either USB-C or lightning at USB 2.0 speeds with just a trigger in firmware when a different cable is detected. This means makers can have headphones that come with two seperate cables, one UAC to Lightning and one UAC to USB-C to allow the headphones to work with both an iPhone and a MacBook.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 hour ago, djdwosk97 said:

Just like there will always be people who bitch and complain about everything and don't even bother to look into the details of the news they're complaining about. 

Wait what? Is anything i said incorrect?

More standards like this just end up confusing the customers, and with all the confusion going on with the average consumer on USB3.0, USB3.1 (Gen 1 and 2), USB Type C, Thunderbolt 3.0 and DP over Thunderbolt. This is only going to add to the confusion. And considering the rate at which we have introduced new standards for accessory connections over the past 3ish years, i imagine this isnt going to be the last iteration of this port which will again cause issues.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)

34 minutes ago, silberdrachi said:

Wait what? Is anything i said incorrect?

More standards like this just end up confusing the customers, and with all the confusion going on with the average consumer on USB3.0, USB3.1 (Gen 1 and 2), USB Type C, Thunderbolt 3.0 and DP over Thunderbolt. This is only going to add to the confusion. And considering the rate at which we have introduced new standards for accessory connections over the past 3ish years, i imagine this isnt going to be the last iteration of this port which will again cause issues.

It's the only iteration of this port. It's called Ultra mini usb or uc-e6. It was a proprietary connector that Nikon made that then got reused by several other companies.

Again, not a connector that's going on phones or tablets. It's just an option for the port on the headphones themselves. A cable then gets plugged into said headphones and can terminate in either lightning or USB-C.

2 hours ago, silberdrachi said:

Why on earth do people call things "Ultra" like theres not going to be something better in a couple years?

Company is so far up their own ass they just dont care that they are fucking over their own customers and the customers are starting to get sick of it.

Though there will always be the die hard fans that buy it anyway, so apple will keep churning them out.

75 Millions iPhone

clearly the customer doesn't care as long as there is an Apple logo

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Apple implements that Ultra Mini Connector so MFi makers can create accessories for Apple products. Now as a end user, I won't be able to benefit from that unless, the Apple product I get, uses that connector. So is this just some special connector, for internal use, where accessories makers can make apple compatible accessories, even though it never going to be used.

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

Can't stick with Type-C eh... so useless...

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Classic example of how some can be astronomically ignorant when it comes to Apple

As said by others, THIS IS NOT A REPLACEMENT, RATHER A MERE ADDITION to the MFi Program, and this wont make any visible difference in any of Apple's products

On 2/6/2017 at 7:55 PM, Scruffy90 said:

Those little connectors on cameras suck. On a lot of consumer cameras those things are used to plug into a computer. This is a bad move. They should've stuck with some standard that everyone, but Nikon (they like to experiment) uses.

Fuji uses mini-USB. A standard. Sony uses micro USB. A standard. Canon uses USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Micro-B.  Another standard. So ... what is standard for cameras that everyone but Nikon uses?

3 hours ago, Khurt said:

Fuji uses mini-USB. A standard. Sony uses micro USB. A standard. Canon uses USB 3.0 SuperSpeed Micro-B.  Another standard. So ... what is standard for cameras that everyone but Nikon uses?

Depends what you're talking about.  Most cameras have a special connector for accessories like a remote shutter, etc.  They may or may not offer a USB port because it's not something anyone would ever use.  You take the battery out to charge it.  You take the SD (or other) card out to transfer images.  The USB port if there even is one is not really necessary.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

On 2/6/2017 at 7:51 PM, TrigrH said:

Why not just use USB-C ?

because , is apple what do you expect of them? Use all normal standards?

No they need to create more ways of put overpriced accessories for they products and supposedly is not necessary that they think and then the result is they are essential.