Intel's responses to AMD Ryzen with i7 7740K and i5 7640K

NumLock21
35 minutes ago, Ensho said:

These are part of the new X299 line up due out later this year.  It was already mentioned that there was going to be a few 4 core X299 parts that had people confused.  These parts more than likely were already in the line up and are not a reaction to Ryzen.

http://wccftech.com/intel-core-i7-7740k-core-i5-7640k-amd-ryzen/

Wait, what? Why would anyone use a quad core CPU on such a platform? Makes no sense. AMD is going to wreck Intel, if they keep doing stupid crap like this. how utterly useless. Do they even have more PCI lanes then? I guess not.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

54 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Intel is bringing i5 chips to the enthusiast line with their new 7640k and 7740k CPUs.  Click the link in the description to learn more.

:P

OK but seriously, why are they bringing mainstream chips to the enthusiast platform, the should be doing the opposite and bringing 6 cores to Z270!

The best I can figure is that they want more X299 boards to sell so they can later sell you on their higher end processors.  Of course Intels whole naming/numbering scheme for their processors is spinning out of control in my opinion.  

36 minutes ago, Notional said:

Wait, what? Why would anyone use a quad core CPU on such a platform? Makes no sense. AMD is going to wreck Intel, if they keep doing stupid crap like this. how utterly useless. Do they even have more PCI lanes then? I guess not.

Yes, they will.  The article said so.  The only difference will be a slight bump in clock speed along with quad channel memory and more pci-e lanes.

Like you, I hope AMD really delivers...but I've seen this hype train before.  Given the price leaks, start bracing yourself for a ho-hum parity, though at this point parity with Intel is a good thing.  Ryzen being better is doubtful though.

Fractal Design Define C | Intel Core i7 7700k | Corsair H100i V2 | Gigabyte Z270X Gaming 7 | Seasonic Prime 750 | MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X
16gb G.Skill Trident Z | Samsung 960 Evo NVMe 500gb | Razer Black Widow Chroma | Razer Death Adder Chroma | Razer Firefly | Dell U2515H

39 minutes ago, Notional said:

Perhaps it's marking the dawn of Intel bridging both the Consumer and Prosumer/Enthusiast platform into a single entity? One huge advantage AMD has with Ryzen, is that it's all a single unified platform. You buy the platform, and every CPU from that lineup works in it. With Intel, they have a layer of obfuscation involved. People often get confused with Haswell vs Haswell-E, or Broadwell vs Broadwell-E, etc. 

I highly doubt this is the case though. Something tells me these will just be used as stop-gaps or niche single-thread CPU's for that platform. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

31 minutes ago, MageTank said:

Perhaps it's marking the dawn of Intel bridging both the Consumer and Prosumer/Enthusiast platform into a single entity? One huge advantage AMD has with Ryzen, is that it's all a single unified platform. You buy the platform, and every CPU from that lineup works in it. With Intel, they have a layer of obfuscation involved. People often get confused with Haswell vs Haswell-E, or Broadwell vs Broadwell-E, etc. 

I highly doubt this is the case though. Something tells me these will just be used as stop-gaps or niche single-thread CPU's for that platform. 

I would agree with that doubt.  It appears to me that Intel is further dividing up their platform by having at least three separate main sockets...  I think a good future question is going to be whether they are going to keep the Xeon processors on LGA 2066 or are they going to move all of those over to LGA 3647.

4 hours ago, MageTank said:

AMD still has the Ryzen server lineups but as you said unlike Intel AMD is sticking to a single chipset/platform for the desktop market, where Intel cross-breeds with the server chipset/platform.

I can't see Intel moving everything up to the server based chipset due to the pretty much mandatory 3 year cycle on that, but then Intel might be looking at changing how often they update the desktop platform chipset due to the node shrink slow downs and the unlikeliness this will ever pick back up in pace again.

The only way the 4C/4T and 4C/8T variants would make sense to me on the LGA2066 platform is if they were the entry level, as id be interested in them as if i need to upgrade in the future to more cores and threads for productivity i could quite easily with a CPU upgrade. At the moment I'm weighing up a change to X99 and the only thing that would stop me is the fact that X299 is on the way. I know that i could take X99 with a price drop, but id like to have a more up to date feature set and use things I've liked on Skylake.

However, i always think that Intel on the consumer side needs to make the i7 range one with two 6C/6T and a 'Enthusast' 6C/12T variant as well. If Intel want to crush AMD, they need to overhaul their Product Line Up as its all over the place, just see the Wan Show this week and Linus Rant.

Intel i9 9900X | EVGA X299 Micro 2 | Asus GTX 1070 Strix Gaming 8GB | G.Skill 32GB DDR4 (4X8GB) 3200 | EVGA 280mm CLC

Seasonic 1300w Focus Gold | Samsung 500GB 970 EVO

WD Black 2TB/WD Black 1TB (X2)/Seagate 4TB Ironwolf/Crucial 1TB P1/Crucial MX500 500GB/Samsung 1TB QVO

Phanteks Entho Evolve MATX

Samsung LS29E790C 29 Inch Monitor | LG 24UD58 24 inch 4K UHD

Coolermaster Master Keys Pro RGB (Cherry MX Brown)

Logitech G700s

Razer Leviathan

Honestly hope AMD wins this, they introduced so much tech to us but intel and nvidia took it and made it better, they deserve a win here. Wouldn't mind going team red for once!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

hmm, so they did end up giving the i5 ht

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

5 minutes ago, huilun02 said:

TDP is upped to 100W

haha looks like there in Panic mode :P 

giphy.gif

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

Check the French source. Guru3D screwed up some of the facts. If you check canard the 7740k is 100 MHz higher putting it at 4.3ghz base. Guru3D somehow interpreted this as 200 MHz higher and somehow thought the 7700k had a 4 ghz base clock speed.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

4 minutes ago, Humbug said:

LOL, so Intel is changing sockets again.

One of the appeals of Ryzen is that the in development next gen Zen+ cores we also be compatible with the same AM4 motherboards.

To be fair to AMD, that isn't a new thing. The last few years have been a bit of a clusterfuck of different sockets, but before the FM sockets and AM1 came along, AMD could claim to have their entire lineup of desktop CPUs use the same socket, and making those sockets last a hell of a lot longer than Intel as well, with backwards compatability being a standard feature for both AM2+ and AM3+.

Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --

I don't see this taking off. Clocking an i5 higher and giving it hyperthreading hardly appeals to me to buy these 'new' chips, just seems like we're already being thrown kaby lake refresh bullshit.

Hope AMD knock a massive amount of the CPU market off Intel, would love to see those price gougers lose stock value.

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

7 minutes ago, Humbug said:

LOL, so Intel is changing sockets again.

this is not news,

the existence of the x99 successor and a new LGA package was known for quite a while

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

this is not news,

the existence of the x99 successor and a new LGA package was known for quite a while

It's not news, but you can set your clock to it. "So I'll meet you in ten minutes?" "Yes. I'll know it's time when Intel changes sockets again"...

Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --

Strange to see i5's and non extreme edition i7's on a traditionally high end chipset/larger socket (assuming this X299 is the sucessor to X99)

THE BEAST Motherboard: MSI B350 Tomahawk   CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700   GPU: Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC  RAM: 16GB G.Skill FlareX DDR4   

PSU: Corsair CX650M     Case: Corsair 200R    SSD: Kingston 240GB SSD Plus   HDD: 1TB WD Green Drive and Seagate Barracuda 2TB Media Drive

5 minutes ago, rjfaber91 said:

It's not news, but you can set your clock to it. "So I'll meet you in ten minutes?" "Yes. I'll know it's time when Intel changes sockets again"...

X99 is an aging platform

the darn thing has PCIe gen 2 and DMI 2.0 - compare that to 100 and 200 series chipsets

AMD will have it's own socket for Naples chips

Retoast :P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

6 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

So I can get a competitively priced i5 HT probably for less than the 7700k....on a platform where entry level basic motherboards are going to be more expensive than this chip?

the only reason i could see this as appealing is if you were planning on upgrading to a 6 or 8 core i7 down the road. 

19 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

X299...even though the logical progression should have been x199....

Not really.  X99 was launched in august 2014, at which point Z97 was the mainstream platform.

There has been no enthusiast platform during the H110 - Z170 days

Now we're at B250 - Z270 for the mainstream , so X299 makes perfect sense. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

the only reason i could see this as appealing is if you were planning on upgrading to a 6 or 8 core i7 down the road. 

Well....I mean maybe. But the reason people can buy i3s (though not after the G4560 of course) and then upgrade is because they are cheap and cheap motherboards come with it that can still reasonably support a 7700 (non k) and offer a very substantial upgrade.

This to me makes about as much sense (zero) as the i3 K chip: Sure you can save a few bucks on the chip but need a really expensive motherboard to go with it....like at that point nobody should fucking get it instead of a cheap Z270 + 7700k which knowing the prices of this boards would probably set you back as much money, henceforth defeating the purpose of the X299 i5

-------

Current Rig

-------