Massive Keyboard Cable, WHY????

JamieOlive

Alright i want an answear to my question because I will go crazy in a few moments, pls explain to me why can the MacBook PRO have dual 5K displays support of oneT tHUNDERBOLT Cable and in keyboard if we want a usb passthrough we need a cable the size of a metro tunnel, plss why keyboards need those, why not USB 3.2 Type-C???

I know it sucks but trust me, you wouldn't want to pay for a thunderbolt keyboard.

WHIPLASH

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @4.7GHz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 2x8GB @3000MHz

MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS

CASE: Fractal Design Define S

3 minutes ago, toasty6776 said:

I know it sucks but trust you wouldn't want to pay for a thunderbolt keyboard.

They might if the keyboard has the Apple logo on it. Presenting to you the iType and iClick......

Instead of wiring everything through one connector they have each individual wire for each connector seperate

27 minutes ago, JamieOlive said:

a cable the size of a metro tunnel, plss why keyboards need those

You shoulda figured out by now with all the ppl talking about how they feel they can use their keyboards as weapons that the thick cord allows them to use the entire combo to greatest effect as a flail. 

flail.png

Ryzen 7 2700x | MSI B450 Tomahawk | GTX 780 Windforce | 16GB 3200
Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

Because the MacBook Pro costs as much as a metro tunnel per capita

quite simple: power draw.

a display connection doesnt draw more power than required to send signals back and forth (provided the display has its own power source)

USB on the other hand, usually relies on the host device for its power, and because USB calls for the voltage to stay between 4.5 and 5.5 volts (offiically...) you need quite thick copper (in comparison) to stay within that margin, especially if talking RGB keyboards (which fyi use a crap ton of power...) and usb passtrough that may be connecting something like an external hard drive.

the thickness of a cable usually has very little to do with the amount of data that it can transmit (there's no "WHOO look at this thick cable that must be a very fast ethernet cable) but rather the amount of power that's tagging along with that data connection, and/or the distance it is expected to travel.

It's unlikely there's a lick of copper inside modern gaming peripherals... they are most likely using aluminum because 5v is actually a joke compared to what copper can handle. I suspect it's also shielding the wires from interfering with each other.

Ok guys really but the actual bandwidth you would need is not that crazy, both my Corsair Strafe and Razer Blackwidow have USB 2.0 PASSTHROUGH.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

quite simple: power draw.

a display connection doesnt draw more power than required to send signals back and forth (provided the display has its own power source)

USB on the other hand, usually relies on the host device for its power, and because USB calls for the voltage to stay between 4.5 and 5.5 volts (offiically...) you need quite thick copper (in comparison) to stay within that margin, especially if talking RGB keyboards (which fyi use a crap ton of power...) and usb passtrough that may be connecting something like an external hard drive.

the thickness of a cable usually has very little to do with the amount of data that it can transmit (there's no "WHOO look at this thick cable that must be a very fast ethernet cable) but rather the amount of power that's tagging along with that data connection, and/or the distance it is expected to travel

Ok i get that, but man really the LG 5K Display can charge a Macbook with a single cable, and i get it Thunderbolt is expensive but i paid 149$ for my Strafe, how much more expensive could it be with a thunderbolt cable??

1 minute ago, JamieOlive said:

ow much more expensive could it be with a thunderbolt cable??

how does "twice as expensive" sound?

My point is we see every year keyboards with a little different design and a few more or less buttons and due to a switch thats a little different and RGB we pay 200$ for it, plain simple for last century tech, MECH switches are here for 20 years RGB is for at least 5 and for some reason they can't spare a few bucks to make a proper slim connection my PS2 cable is slimmer than that abomination and on top of that USB 2.0 rreally???

2 minutes ago, JamieOlive said:

i get it Thunderbolt is expensive but i paid 149$ for my Strafe

Wow... I pad $90 for a strafe rgb. For $60 they better be able to use thunderbolt.

Dell 3007WFP | 2xDell 2001FP | Logitech G710 | Logitech G710 | Team Wolf Void Ray | Strafe RGB MX Silent
iPhone 8 Plus ZTE Axon 7 | iPad Air 2 | Nvidia Shield Tablet 32gig LTE | Lenovo W700DS

4 minutes ago, JamieOlive said:

ow much more expensive could it be with a thunderbolt cable??

how does "twice as expensive" sound?

OOhh come on like 350$ for a cable come on, licensing the controller from Intel would be around 20$ per unit or even less, and it would make the device actually wotrh it...!!

Even a little bit extra for implemantation, storage, planning and marketing the per unit cost shouldn't be more than 40-60$ more per unit..

1 minute ago, JamieOlive said:

slim connection my PS2 cable is slimmer than that abomination and on top of that USB 2.0 rreally???

I've watched a lot of reviews, and always, there is some added emphasis on really meaningless stuff, and these are from amateur reviewers ie prosumer reviewers. When they add emphasis to these meaningless things, the manufactuers listen, especially when those reviews get millions of views.

Torsion tests - cuz you know, you absolutely need space age materials!

Weight - Woo this thing's got heft!

Thick cable - sturdy!

I see a reviewer do those things in EVERY modern keyboard review. Fantastic... the next manufactuer 1 ups each of those since seriously... it's a keyboard, it doesn't have much else to improve or differentiate from every other keyboard that has the same switches and LEDs.

5 minutes ago, dtaflorida said:
8 minutes ago, JamieOlive said:

i get it Thunderbolt is expensive but i paid 149$ for my Strafe

Wow... I pad $90 for a strafe rgb. For $60 they better be able to use thunderbolt.

Where on earth did you get a 90$ Corsair Strafe RGB??? My MX-Silent edition costed me 149$ and on a discount period on that..

3 minutes ago, JamieOlive said:

Where on earth did you get a 90$ Corsair Strafe RGB??? My MX-Silent edition costed me 149$ and on a discount period on that..

Best Buy, someone on the forum posted it was on sale like... I dunno a year ago? I only really bought it to play with the SDK. MX silent switches are not my cup of tea... I keep saying to myself I'll swap out my caps and go back to my Team Wolf Void Ray... damn procrastination, that was like a year ago lol.

3 minutes ago, JamieOlive said:

OOhh come on like 350$ for a cable come on, licensing the controller from Intel would be around 20$ per unit or even less, and it would make the device actually wotrh it...!!

Even a little bit extra for implemantation, storage, planning and marketing the per unit cost shouldn't be more than 40-60$ more per unit..

the issue is, USB is everywhere with reason: it's common, it's easy and cheap to implement, making a USB periperhal essentially already guarantees you a bigger marketshare than thunderbolt (higher volume production = lower cost per unit), etc.

it's not only about BOM cost and licensing fees, it's about how "common" usb is. essentially, in standard usb keyboards, no one has needed to do any engineering on the electrical side of things since they made their first usb keyboard, because they're all just an off the shelf concept.

1 minute ago, dtaflorida said:

MX silent switches are not my cup of tea...

Yeah it took my more than a month to make it feel real, even now i prefer Browns but i won't pay another 100 or so bucks for it...:(

the issue is, USB is everywhere with reason: it's common, it's easy and cheap to implement, making a USB periperhal essentially already guarantees you a bigger marketshare than thunderbolt (higher volume production = lower cost per unit), etc.

it's not only about BOM cost and licensing fees, it's about how "common" usb is. essentially, in standard usb keyboards, no one has needed to do any engineering on the electrical side of things since they made their first usb keyboard, because they're all just an off the shelf concept.

Alright I hear you and i agree, cost effectiveness implies to stick with the current tech but hear me out.

1. Almost all new motherboards come standard now with USB Type-C, although not Thuinderbolt specifically they can transfer both power and data at bigger bandwdths.
  2. The last 2 years we see either be Apple or Razer or even DELL and HP use at least one Type -C connector and in most of the cases its Thunderbolt 3.
  3. They make dongles with "3 USB 3.0 Type-A Ports+USB Type-C+Enthernet+SDXC Reader" for 75$ some of the most prenium.
  4. Last but certainly not least implementation is almost nothing its swaping old tech for new tech, the new controiller will replace the old one.

To sum it up I personally believe that in a few years we will see Thiunnderbolt 3 Mech Keyboards but I just can not not bitch about it every time i see that horror of a cable in front of me thinking i use the same tech as my Granpa and i paid 100+ $ for it, and they keep making these stuff and its more and more expensive for Gods sake.