Need help removing nova.rambler.ru

Nineshadow

A friend of mine has just got this annoying web hijacker. It redirects all Google searches on Chrome to their page. A few things to note here:

• it does so only on Chrome. Internet Explorer and Firefox are fine.
  • it does so only on Google search. Bing and Yahoo are unaffected.

A quick Malwarebytes scan revealed some malware, but it was mostly unrelated and removing those didn't fix anything.

So I turned to my old friend, ADW Cleaner, which has always helped me in situations like these in the past. It did find a lot of stuff that Malwarebytes missed, but nothing about this annoying hijacker.

I tried resetting Chrome to the default settings and reinstalling it, but to no avail.

I searched the task manager for suspicious processes, but didn't find any. Nothing suspicious in startup programs and services either.

Checked the registry for some common keys used by nova.rambler.ru (at least according to the internet), but nope, nothing either.

Hosts file is also clean.

I'm kinda out of ideas here. I think a Windows reinstall will do the job, but I don't really want to do it unless I have to.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Maybe Hitman Pro can help you.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

uninstall chrome, that will get rid all everything

if it still persists

remove chrome again, run ADW Cleaner then ccleanrer then malwarebytes and reboot your computer

reinstall chrome

that should work

if not then it's a little s**t that won't go away!

if thats thats the case, the only thing to do is either

wait for an update for windows, windows defender, and malware bytes and try again

or backup your data and reinstall windows to get rid of it

****SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH IT'S REALLY TERRIBLE*****

Been married to my wife for 3 years now! Yay!

• 3 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but the steps I found on a discussion from reditt may help solve this problem:

Open Task Scheduler (taskschd.msc).

Select Task Scheduler Library on the left panel.

On the upper center panel you will see a list of scheduled tasks.

On the lower center panel select Actions tab, it will show you which programs are launched by each task.

Go through the scheduled tasks one by one and find which of them open chrome.exe and load some URL. Delete those tasks.

Sometimes the malware may also affect the browser shortcut. So have a look at the browser shortcut when you encounter such browser redirection or hijacking issues. If any unwanted content is found in the Target line, delete it and save the changes.

Good luck.

If its only affecting chrome, I'd suggest you try starting with no addons running since one might have been updated to include this or this malware comes as a chrome addon to avoid detection by malware scans (this is of course a guess and not actual fact).