Obsidian CEO Reveals Fallout 3 That Was Never Released

Fergus Urquhart the CEO of Obsidian Entertainment who in around 2000 assisted in the development of 2D role-playing games (RPG) such as Baldur’s Gate. Uncovered in an interview with IGN Unfiltered that one of the teams that he worked with began production of a game code-named Van Buren which was to be driven by the “then” latest technology a 3D game engine called Numerical Design Limited (NDL). This he said in the interview was to be the third in a succession of games we know as Fallout.

"Now 3D was the cool stuff. So we were going to move from being a 2D engine and be a 3D engine, and so we actually started working with this 3D technology called NDL," he said at 02:04.

That 3D NDL game engine was later sold to Gamebryo and became the engine used to develop Bethesda’s Fallout 3.

Source:

BY ALEX OSBORN @ IGN UNFILTERED / 27 JAN 2017.

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

A source would be nice.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

Well Obsidian did make the only 3D fallout game I like so....

Oh and FYI they used some of the written parts for new vegas I believe the project name was van buren or something like that

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

9 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

A source would be nice.

Yep, put those in just wanted to get the content up first as I have been having issues with the forums being a bit "blinky-blinky" and deleting parts of the post as I add links and quote boxes....dunno why?

Those who deny freedom to others deserve it not for themselves (Abraham Lincoln,1808-1865; 16th US president).

I think the tech demo has been leaked for many years. I also think it would be great if the game would be completed from its present form, and released. Maybe Obsidian could license it from ZeniMax.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

4 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

I think the tech demo has been leaked for many years. I also think it would be great if the game would be completed from its present form, and released. Maybe Obsidian could license it from ZeniMax.

They used a lot of the concepts for New Vegas, the Legion for example was a concept written for that game but never implemented so New Vegas is essentially what became of the project in the end.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

I believe this game was known then it turned into the "MMO Fallout" and was the subject of the lawsuit disputes with Bethesda. Don't believe it was more than a pre-alpha at all though.

-------

Current Rig

-------

29 minutes ago, Starelementpoke said:

You guys didn't know this? Man, thought this was decently common knowledge.

Yep, I'm not even that big a fallout fan and I knew about it. They reused the setting and some ideas for New Vegas.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Let's pray Obsidian get to make Fallout 5 they actually make decent rpgs!

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

This is old news. I remember reading about this years ago. 

Interesting story though. I have only played Bethesda's Fallout games.

2 hours ago, corsairian said:

This is old news. I remember reading about this years ago. 

Interesting story though. I have only played Bethesda's Fallout games.

I've gotten my feet wet in both. (not the the point of people playing it in the hundreds of hours), but compared to Fallout 3, NV was very, VERY good. It just had a good vibe to the game, and the setting was wonderful because it combined a wasteland of a map with a fun stylish look of Las Vegas. It blended the best of an apocalypse with a walled garden perfectly.

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

Didn't expect to be reminded of a Summer of 2002 PC Gamer article, but thanks for the nostalgia

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.