Linux Blu-ray software. does it exsist ?

Is there a program/app/barrel-of-god-damn-monkeys that will let me play blu-ray on linux which doesn't require the following.... Sudo cmd, fart assing around in VLC to watch a movie, using more than 1 program to watch a movie.

and is the following... User\noob\lazy person friendly, simple and easy to operate as if it was a store brought product, possibly on Zorin, easy to install... infact as if you were installing it and using it in windows or as previously mentioned store brought???

i have a pc here i want to turn into a HTPC and it has XP on it, but XP and Blu-ray talk to each other as much as that annoying ex gf you buried in your garage 10 years ago.

any help here would be greatful, even if its a "no linux hates being simple, xp is garbage and how did you know about my ex ?"

If Windows, the most used OS on the planet, gets dicked around by hardware drm--I don't see Linux having anything working in its favor for blu-ray. Best option for either is an Xbox One S. 

the library that decodes blue-ray is not entirely legal so it is not included in linux distributions. you will have to do all of that "Sudo cmd fart assing"

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

soooo looks like im getting a windows 8 or something. win 7 if i can find a copy.... xp just hasn't got the support for bluray.

see this is where linux lucks out badly, they want people to use thier free OS's, BUT installing on them can be very not helpful even for experienced PC users, nothing ever ends up being simple, bugger all games as well.

but Zorin looks like a really really nice OS, just. they need to improve friendliness, its a bit like the sheldon of OS, smart, brainy... annoying as fuck after 10 minutes.

4 minutes ago, ArcThanatos said:

soooo looks like im getting a windows 8 or something. win 7 if i can find a copy.... xp just hasn't got the support for bluray.

see this is where linux lucks out badly, they want people to use thier free OS's, BUT installing on them can be very not helpful even for experienced PC users, nothing ever ends up being simple, bugger all games as well.

but Zorin looks like a really really nice OS, just. they need to improve friendliness, its a bit like the sheldon of OS, smart, brainy... annoying as fuck after 10 minutes.

well you can play blue rays, heres a guide http://apcmag.com/how-to-play-blu-ray-in-linux.htm/

https://sourceforge.net/projects/lxbdplayer/

http://crackednoodle.com/2011/01/blu-ray-ripping-linux-how-to/

You can just use make mkv and rip it then play it.

5 minutes ago, ArcThanatos said:

To be fair, you can't really blame the lack of Blu-Ray support on Linux distribution developers, or media player developers in general. You can blame the MPAA for all of this.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

To be fair, you can't really blame the lack of Blu-Ray support on Linux distribution developers. You can blame the MPAA for all of this.

well f$$$ them with lucille.

not really blaming Linux, just wish they would make things on some of thier OS's more like windows and easier to navigate.

1 minute ago, ArcThanatos said:

well f$$$ them with lucille.

not really blaming Linux, just wish they would make things on some of thier OS's more like windows and easier to navigate.

Yeah, many Linux distros can be a pain in the ass to set up, and it's kinda why I haven't bothered with throwing one on my PC.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

4 minutes ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

see thats not really usefull in a HTPC, should be PnP not insert-disc-rip-wait-wait-wait-sudo-stuff-watch haha thank you thou

3 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Yeah, many Linux distros can be a pain in the ass to set up, and it's kinda why I haven't bothered with throwing one on my PC.

Zorin looks really good, just im not putting it on my main rig, ill have to get another setup for that

6 minutes ago, ArcThanatos said:

This is the reason I learned long ago not to use fancy independent Linux distributions if I want something reliable that works well, and has support from the Linux community when I need to run my "Sudo fart ass" commands. It's hard to fumigate an entire OS yourself without it going up in flames, so I end up sticking to Ubuntu or other Debian-based Linux distributions, or simply use Debian itself.

see thats not really usefull in a HTPC, should be PnP not insert-disc-rip-wait-wait-wait-sudo-stuff-watch haha thank you thou

Good luck in a world of DRM, where content distributors make it more difficult for people who legally purchased a license to consumer content than those who acquire everything illegally. Remember, when you legally purchase content with DRM, a portion of your proceeds go directly toward the very DRM technology that makes your life more difficult than it needs to be.

http://www.labdv.com/aacs/

That link has everything you need to playback any BluRay disc prior to 2012/2013, and most BluRay discs with the new BD+ DRM "protection". As always, with anything related to DRM, decryption, and reverse-engineering, USE AT YOUR OWN RISK, and check with your local laws. Unfortunately, just because you purchased a license to watch content stored on a plastic disc does not mean you're allowed to circumvent the protection prohibiting you from consuming the licensed content if you choose not to meet the requirements to playback the content in the form it was delivered to you.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

14 minutes ago, kirashi said:

Unfortunately, just because you purchased a license to watch content stored on a plastic disc does not mean you're allowed to circumvent the protection prohibiting you from consuming the licensed content if you choose not to meet the requirements to playback the content in the form it was delivered to you.

this is rather stupid really, buy the disc, cant watch it legally is what that basically means. unless u have a storebrought bluray payer\PS4\Xbox1 or the brought software on PC. bar a few freesoft companys with actual working apps

this is rather stupid really, buy the disc, cant watch it legally is what that basically means. unless u have a storebrought bluray payer\PS4\Xbox1 or the brought software on PC. bar a few freesoft companys with actual working apps

Oh, I agree - you're preaching to the choir here. I'm just explaining it as the MPAA and RIAA would like us to hear it. IMO, if I purchase a license to watch or listen to content, I'm damn well listening and watching that content wherever, however, whenever, and on whatever device I desire, assuming it's a purchase and not something like a rental, of course. How I get the content onto my other devices is no longer their concern, despite it technically going against their licensing terms.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Itunes\ipod. is a nice offender for this. codec that doesn't want to work with any old MP3\4 player, cant throw it on a stick an put that into my ute's headunit, nooo i have to have a Ipod!.

13 hours ago, ArcThanatos said:

Is there a program/app/barrel-of-god-damn-monkeys that will let me play blu-ray on linux which doesn't require the following.... Sudo cmd, fart assing around in VLC to watch a movie, using more than 1 program to watch a movie.

and is the following... User\noob\lazy person friendly, simple and easy to operate as if it was a store brought product, possibly on Zorin, easy to install... infact as if you were installing it and using it in windows or as previously mentioned store brought???

i have a pc here i want to turn into a HTPC and it has XP on it, but XP and Blu-ray talk to each other as much as that annoying ex gf you buried in your garage 10 years ago.

any help here would be greatful, even if its a "no linux hates being simple, xp is garbage and how did you know about my ex ?"

Yeah.,  It's called install makemkv, rip the bluray disk to your storage drive of choice into a .mkv video file, then transcode ( shrink ) it using Handbrake after installing it, then ensure VLC media player is installed and play the movie directly from the storage drive.   Using physical discs to play movies is long ago past.  Unsealed magnetic storage mediums like dvd's or bluray discs don't last nearly as long as data being stored on a hdd or especially ssd given the details of data rot or " bit rot."

Makemkv is a headache to get installed in many versions of linux, but worth it.  Handbrake is easy.  VLC is already installed in most recent versions of Linux Mint.

yeah that's waaaaaay to much fart assing for a HTPC. found a solution thou. $75(AUD) win7 postage n handling inc. that fixes that whole issue. ill just use Leawo Blu-Ray Player once I get a new copy of win7.

if it was a personal rig I wouldn't mind so much but its a HTPC so Linux Blu-ray is defiantly out. its at least a 30minute job to watch a movie. that's at best. not worth it.

This could be automated to be a plug and play procedure.. Still one that takes the time of ripping however so you place your disk at noon for you to enjoy in the evening lol 

yeah its a AM2 system, only a little dual core an 4Gb ram with a massive 160Gb HDD... haha yeah nooope