Ryzen???? Should i wait ??

So I'm a week away from buying and building this PC 

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/hJ933F
Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/hJ933F/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£165.00 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: Asus H110M-A/M.2 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£44.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Memory: PNY Anarchy 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£39.55 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£35.94 @ Aria PC) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 480 4GB RS Video Card  (£188.00 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Thermaltake Versa H15 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  (£34.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£47.91 @ Ebuyer) 
Total: £556.38
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-04 23:02 GMT+0000

But i saw this article about Zen http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-am4-processor-family-leak-r7-1800x-flagship/ and began to wonder. I have currently found no alternative to this i5, a £13-180ish quad core or higher with a good upgrade path, but it suffers from reasonably low single core performance. Will Zen offer a compelling and preferably overclockable CPU in this price range with decent overclocking boards? If so is it worth the wait till march?

3 minutes ago, Ethan Meskin said:

So I'm a week away from buying and building this PC 

PCPartPicker part list: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/hJ933F
Price breakdown by merchant: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/hJ933F/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6400 2.7GHz Quad-Core Processor  (£165.00 @ Aria PC) 
Motherboard: Asus H110M-A/M.2 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  (£44.99 @ Overclockers.co.uk) 
Memory: PNY Anarchy 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  (£39.55 @ Amazon UK) 
Storage: Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  (£35.94 @ Aria PC) 
Video Card: XFX Radeon RX 480 4GB RS Video Card  (£188.00 @ Amazon UK) 
Case: Thermaltake Versa H15 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  (£34.99 @ Amazon UK) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 450W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  (£47.91 @ Ebuyer) 
Total: £556.38
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-02-04 23:02 GMT+0000

But i saw this article about Zen http://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-am4-processor-family-leak-r7-1800x-flagship/ and began to wonder. I have currently found no alternative to this i5, a £13-180ish quad core or higher with a good upgrade path, but it suffers from reasonably low single core performance. Will Zen offer a compelling and preferably overclockable CPU in this price range with decent overclocking boards? If so is it worth the wait till march?

I don't really need to look at what you've put on your list. My answer is: wait for Ryzen. It's only a month away and it could either be a disaster or be the best thing for AMD in the past decade

CPU: Intel Core i7 8700  

GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070

MOBO: ASUS Z370-F STRIX  

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2133MHz

I would wait, all ryzen cpu's will be unlocked btw, you only need at least a somewhat decent board with a specific chipset to allow overclocking. Which imo would make sense, you shouldn't overclock on a really really cheap motherboard. :P

Also, i would take the XFX GTR instead of the RS, the RS cooler isn't exactly great...

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

7 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

I would wait, all ryzen cpu's will be unlocked btw, you only need at least a somewhat decent board with a specific chipset to allow overclocking. Which imo would make sense, you shouldn't overclock on a really really cheap motherboard. :P

Also, i would take the XFX GTR instead of the RS, the RS cooler isn't exactly great...

550 is as far as i can push the build sadly, so this is the only 480 i can afford, should i get a high end 470 and overclock the shit out of it instead of the 480?

9 minutes ago, EvilCat70 said:

I don't really need to look at what you've put on your list. My answer is: wait for Ryzen. It's only a month away and it could either be a disaster or be the best thing for AMD in the past decade

I just have wanted to build for so long, and i know the i5 will give me good performance, so it's hard to wait after already waiting half a year 

3 hours ago, Ethan Meskin said:

I just have wanted to build for so long, and i know the i5 will give me good performance, so it's hard to wait after already waiting half a year 

Half a year isn't THAT long...

I waited 10 months for haswell and a year for polaris, 7 months isn't too bad imo...

But hey in the end it's your money and if you really can't wait, then sure go for it, but just keep in mind you might regret that decision in a month.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

6 hours ago, samcool55 said:

Half a year isn't THAT long...

I waited 10 months for haswell and a year for polaris, 7 months isn't too bad imo...

But hey in the end it's your money and if you really can't wait, then sure go for it, but just keep in mind you might regret that decision in a month.

I know I should wait, but only gaming on a phone is driving me nuts

1 hour ago, Ethan Meskin said:

I know I should wait, but only gaming on a phone is driving me nuts

If you have a TV and a decent phone, what about an MVL adapter and a bluetooth controller?

Connect your phone to the tv and play some old-school games! :P

PSX, GBC, GBA, DS, they should all work fine. At least if you have games for it laying around.

Not the best solution but it's a lot better than what you have now... Also not very expensive, amazon should have it cheap, around 20 pounds for both :P

3 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

If you have a TV and a decent phone, what about an MVL adapter and a bluetooth controller?

Connect your phone to the tv and play some old-school games! :P

PSX, GBC, GBA, DS, they should all work fine. At least if you have games for it laying around.

Not the best solution but it's a lot better than what you have now... Also not very expensive, amazon should have it cheap, around 20 pounds for both :P

i have no budget to spend on anything but the pc for a few months (I haven't bought anything but a new phone and laptop for 6 months and the phone and laptop were essential, as my old ones broke)

The laptop's a chromebook - no gaming there

Edited by Guest