Not enough power?

Go to solution Solved by Ezkamoz.,
14 minutes ago, Emma Nieuwenhuis said:

Just in case, what would happen if it wasn't enough?

If it wasn't enough it would just shut off

I have an EVGA 500w PSU with 40a on the 12v rail. I want to use a 980ti. Can I run the card? I have an i3 6100 (Don't lecture me about bottlenecks) and my only drive is an M.2 SSD. And if I don't have enough power, what would happen if I tried to use one? Would my computer refuse to turn on, would it run slower, would I break something?

Easily Enough power. I run a i5-4460 and a gtx 1060 and two sata drives on 450w

1 minute ago, Ezkamoz. said:

Easily Enough power. I run a i5-4460 and a gtx 1060 and two sata drives on 450w

11 minutes ago, Emma Nieuwenhuis said:

I have an EVGA 500w PSU with 40a on the 12v rail. I want to use a 980ti. Can I run the card? I have an i3 6100 (Don't lecture me about bottlenecks) and my only drive is an M.2 SSD. And if I don't have enough power, what would happen if I tried to use one? Would my computer refuse to turn on, would it run slower, would I break something?

The EVGA 500W is not a very good PSU. Check out the PSU tier list in my signature and get something tier 2 or 1 if you're using a 980ti which is power hungry and hot.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1 minute ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The EVGA 500W is not a very good PSU. Check out the PSU tier list in my signature and get something tier 2 or 1 if you're using a 980ti which is power hungry and hot.

Well, it isn't terrible, though I haven't given it near its full load. Let's just say that I have a 980ti and I have my current system. I want to use the 980ti, but I don't have the money at the moment to get a new power supply. Is there any help you can give me with my current situation?

14 minutes ago, Emma Nieuwenhuis said:

1 minute ago, Ezkamoz. said:

Thank you.

2 minutes ago, Emma Nieuwenhuis said:

Well, it isn't terrible, though I haven't given it near its full load. Let's just say that I have a 980ti and I have my current system. I want to use the 980ti, but I don't have the money at the moment to get a new power supply. Is there any help you can give me with my current situation?

Well, it sort of is. The ripple suppression on those is very, very bad and they're 30 USD for a reason. If you're going to put a GPU in there that cost $600 new you can stretch to get a $70 PSU that won't struggle to power a 980ti. This Deepcool is a decent PSU and should power your 980ti and is as cheap as I'd go for your GPU. 

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/Mp2rxr/deepcool-power-supply-dq550st

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

If I am upgrading my PSU I am going to be getting something much better than that. I was thinking something like a 650w or 850w with a high efficiency rating.