Midrange PSU w/high connectivity for test bench

Go to solution Solved by Mr.Meerkat,
5 minutes ago, Kevo05s said:

I feel like I cheaped out in my build for buying a 650GQ, planning on upgrading and keeping this one as a spare/for second build

The GQ performs well enough and is made of decent enough components that you don't need to worry about it frying something or killing itself tho...

Something you can look at is the good ol' trusted Seasonic S12II (620W) which is higher quality than the BQ and costs similar :) 

I need another bench, lower priced this time. I'm looking at the EVGA 650BQ due to the connections and power but if anyone can turn me on to something cheaper/more connectors but still quality I'd appreciate it.

I need two 8-pin CPU. Minimum power 600W.

evga bronzes PSU is about the cheapest you could get that is reliable... going below will most likely NOT have the connectors you want, and will certainly not be safe on the long run.... I'd consider that PSU below mid range already... Also keep in mind, cheaping out on a PSU is never a good idea...these things fails quickly and have a tendency to bring other components with it...

Record holder for Firestrike, Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Ultra for his hardware

Top 100 for TimeSpy and Top 25 for Timespy Extreme

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

1 minute ago, Kevo05s said:

evga bronzes PSU is about the cheapest you could get that is reliable... going below will most likely NOT have the connectors you want, and will certainly not be safe on the long run.... I'd consider that PSU below mid range already... Also keep in mind, cheaping out on a PSU is never a good idea...these things fails quickly and have a tendency to bring other components with it...

The EVGA BQ is rather mediocre, at least those ones HEC made. Will work as long as you dont go for any OC records.

1 minute ago, OnfireYH said:

The EVGA BQ is rather mediocre, at least those ones HEC made. Will work as long as you dont go for any OC records.

I feel like I cheaped out in my build for buying a 650GQ, planning on upgrading and keeping this one as a spare/for second build

Record holder for Firestrike, Firestrike Extreme and Firestrike Ultra for his hardware

Intel i7 10700 || 64GB Kingston Predator RGB || Asus H470i Strix || MSI RX 6700XT Merc X2 OC || Corsair MP600 500GB ||  WD Blue SN550 1TB || 500GB Samsung 860 EVO || EVGA 550 GM || EK-Classic 115X aRGB CPU block - Corsair XR5 240mm RAD - Alphacool GPU Block - DarkSide 240mm external rad || Lian Li Q58 || 2x Cooler Master ARGB 120MM + 2x Noctua  Redux 1700RPM 120MM 

5 minutes ago, Kevo05s said:

The GQ performs well enough and is made of decent enough components that you don't need to worry about it frying something or killing itself tho...

Something you can look at is the good ol' trusted Seasonic S12II (620W) which is higher quality than the BQ and costs similar :) 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

It's a perfectly fine PSU, for a regular day to day basics computer, but with my overclocks and the amount of money I spent in my build, I feel like it deserves a 750W P2 psu from evga....

Here's the build 

1 minute ago, Kevo05s said:

It's a perfectly fine PSU, for a regular day to day basics computer, but with my overclocks and the amount of money I spent in my build, I feel like it deserves a 750W P2 psu from evga....

Well it's still good enough where you don't need to worry about soooooo...your call :P 

1 hour ago, Kevo05s said:

Is the performance/reliability better than generic silver PSU or would it be in the same bracket? I thought the BQ is better than the bronze EVGA models before it. I don't know a lot about lower end stuff, my main test bench is on a 1000 G1 and main system i use has a 850 G2.

1 hour ago, OnfireYH said:

What's better in that price range? It's not going to be used for extreme OC benching just testing components and system builds to verify that they work and and maybe to check performance levels on air/water so minor OC and not 24/7.

1 hour ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

I need two 8-pin EPS12V CPU cables

1 minute ago, dexT said:

Is the performance/reliability better than generic silver PSU or would it be in the same bracket? I thought the BQ is better than the bronze EVGA models before it. I don't know a lot about lower end stuff, my main test bench is on a 1000 G1 and main system i use has a 850 G2.

What's better in that price range? It's not going to be used for extreme OC benching just testing components and system builds to verify that they work and and maybe to check performance levels on air/water so minor OC and not 24/7.

I need two 8-pin EPS12V CPU cables

Missed the dual CPU 8pin power cables bit but the EVGA BQ doesn't have dual 8pin CPU cables either tho...

1 minute ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Missed the dual CPU 8pin power cables bit but the EVGA BQ doesn't have dual 8pin CPU cables either tho...

The 650 has a hardwired 8-pin and a modular slot for a second.

1 minute ago, dexT said:

The 650 has a hardwired 8-pin and a modular slot for a second.

Fair enough :P 

Going with the Seasonic and will use my bigger bench for dual socket boards. Thanks.