Asus Z270 WS

NumLock21

>4 cores

>workstation

kek

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

20 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

I'm pretty ignorant on what makes a good vs. bad NIC. Care to elaborate on why RJ45 is bad but something else would be better?

SFP+ is much more widely used and is on more hardware. The NIC are less expensive and run cooler. Direct Attach Copper and Optical Duplex are interchangeable in the SFP+ cage making media conversion much easier.

53 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I would blue to know why too.

On a side note do you know of a good "low cost" 10Gbe switch that uses RJ45 for the 10 Gb. I only need like 2-4 ports of 10 Gb and the rest can be 1Gb.

I don't. Networking gear outside of Software-Defined Networking enterprise equipment is a weak spot for me.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

49 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

>4 cores

>workstation

kek

Power 8 workstations start at 2 cores FYI.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I am in love.

I want it.

I want it now.

Take my moneys !!!!

WS MB are my thing can you tell?

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

17 minutes ago, patrickjp93 said:

Power 8 workstations start at 2 cores FYI.

ccNLraU.gif

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Image result for linus meme

CPU: i7-6700k                                                                                                                                                                      RAM: 16GB-DDR4

GPU: GTX 1050ti                                                                                                                                                            Headphones: ATH-M10

Keyboard: Corsair Strafe RGB                                                                                                                    Recently Played: Rise of the Tomb Raider

Mouse: Razer Deathadder 2013                                                                                                                         Currently Playing: Simulators

• 1 year later...

You guys don't seem to get it- I read the entire thread, and I don't mean to be rude, However- any one here running a HTPC- these are purpose driven boards. This board supports HDCP 2.2 which when used with the correct Blu-ray drive/ect. Eliminates a shit load of stuf you need to actually display/hear UHD content @ true 4k ultra and there by lowering the cost of your PC gaming and HT experience. Not to mention, A well built HTPC beats the crap out of the best ultra expensive UHD players available.

There are at present Only two boards I know of that have HDCP 2.2 compliance this one, and SuperO's with their PG series boards from rev. 170 up with a bios upgrade.

Not to mention these boards score in the top 3 (or better) with STABILITY against ANY MB maker, under any testing methodology- and that's 24/7- not for 5 mins.

Who needs a 370 board- what's there that 270 missed? Nothing for me. What, so you can bump to 8700k, which offer's nothing tangible over series 7 CPU- why? X299, while a tad faster then both, costs 2 times the cost of 170/270/370 and for what? Bragging rights? A few frames that wont win the game and wont play audio or video better- utter nonsense and wasteful. I mean really the gen 6 cpu's are pretty awesome, short of my personal requirements for 4k ultra, I would stick with i7 gen 6.

What I see here (insert HDCP 2.2 and Intel's involvement) is Intel's last gen fab's coming home and AMD is on the hunt. But, just like in the past the lil' guy (AMD) will have it's 5 mins of fame- and then get crushed by the might of Intel's dollars and better - faster R&D. This is a good thing- for us- the end user. Esp/ if you are an AMD fan.

7 minutes ago, kodi41 said:

Who needs a 370 board- what's there that 270 missed? Nothing for me. What, so you can bump to 8700k, which offer's nothing tangible over series 7 CPU- why? X299, while a tad faster then both, costs 2 times the cost of 170/270/370 and for what? Bragging rights? A few frames that wont win the game and wont play audio or video better- utter nonsense and wasteful. I mean really the gen 6 cpu's are pretty awesome, short of my personal requirements for 4k ultra, I would stick with i7 gen 6.

???

The 8700K offers nothing worth it?

Higher IPC? Higher clocks? 1.5x the cores and threads?

PSU Nerd | PC Parts Flipper | Cable Management Guru

Helpful Links: PSU Tier List | Why not group reg? | Avoid the EVGA G3

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Delta (Laptop) | Galaxy S21 Ultra | Pacific Spirit XT (Server)

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Pacific Spirit XT - Server

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

1 minute ago, JDE said:

Higher IPC?

Same IPC and clocks as the 7700K.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Same IPC and clocks as the 7700K.

I believe Intel claimed higher single thread performance at stock?

Helios EVO (Main Desktop) Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | GeForce RTX 3060 Ti | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Intel Core™ i9-10900KF | 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V / Team T-Force DDR4-3000 | GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS ELITE | MSI GAMING X GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GPU | NZXT H510 | EVGA G5 650W | MasterLiquid ML240L | 2x 2TB HDD | 256GB SX6000 Pro SSD | 3x Corsair SP120 RGB | Fractal Design Venturi HF-14

Intel Core™ i7-8700K (Won at LTX, signed by Dennis) | GIGABYTE Z370 AORUS GAMING 5 | 16GB Team Vulcan DDR4-3000 | Intel UrfpsgonHD 630 | Define C TG | Corsair CX450M

Delta - Laptop

ASUS TUF Dash F15 - Intel Core™ i7-11370H | 16GB DDR4 | RTX 3060 | 500GB NVMe SSD | 200W Brick | 65W USB-PD Charger

Intel is bringing DDR4 to the mainstream with the Intel® Core™ i5 6600K and i7 6700K processors. Learn more by clicking the link in the description below.

Thats really nice for a 1151 board. Stuff I'd expect on X99 or whatever the enthusiast chipset is now. 

Really? What do those extra cores get you?

What does higher IPC really get you?

Do some home work on these older boards- look at the Avago chipset controller and what it can do.

Then buy your self an 3108 raid card and some 12gb drives and get back to me. 

Gen 8 Intel is a waste of time and money.

"Thats really nice for a 1151 board. Stuff I'd expect on X99 or whatever the enthusiast chipset is now. "

Really? Find me a purpose driven board that has HDCP 2.2 compliance - or not- that betters these boards performance. 

2 minutes ago, kodi41 said:

Really? What do those extra cores get you?

-much higher rendering times

-reduced dropped frames in streams

-higher minimum fpses

-higher average fps in a limited, but rapidly growing amount of games

-higher frame rate while streaming

Full Specs

Spoiler

Helios EVO (Main):

Delta - Laptop

-much higher rendering times

-reduced dropped frames in streams

-higher minimum fpses

-higher average fps in a limited, but rapidly growing amount of games

-higher frame rate while streaming

Sorry, I disagree, I own both and what you state is simply is not true when on board graphics are equal.

26 minutes ago, JDE said:

I believe Intel claimed higher single thread performance at stock?

Due to higher stock RAM clocks. Clock everything the same, Coffee, Kaby, and Sky share the same single core performance.

26 minutes ago, kodi41 said:

What do those extra cores get you?

More concurrent tasks (multiple programs), programs that can leverage cores perform better, potentially better frametimes in games.

28 minutes ago, kodi41 said:

What does higher IPC really get you?

(not that this is applicable between Skylake, Kaby, and Coffee) better performance per clock. That's why 8 core Bulldozer and its variants suck for most tasks, poor IPC.

33 minutes ago, kodi41 said:

Do some home work on these older boards- look at the Avago chipset controller and what it can do

They still suck by today's standards. Older versions of technologies that are subsequently slower, with less features.

36 minutes ago, kodi41 said:

Gen 8 Intel is a waste of time and money.

To you, it is. To others, it's well worth the investment, because it performs better than 7th gen chips in a great deal of tasks. It performs significantly better than 3rd gen and older.

28 minutes ago, kodi41 said:

Sorry, I disagree, I own both and what you state is simply is not true when on board graphics are equal.

Realistically, nearly no one will use just the iGPU if they're looking at high end DIY.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

Dun necro

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

1 minute ago, Pohernori said:

Dun necro

Should I kill it with fire?

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

7 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Should I kill it with fire?

Yez

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case