Microsoft allows you to buy the Surface Pro 4 SANS Surface Pen for a new lower price tag!

AlTech

Microsoft is letting people buy the Surface Pro 4 for a new lower price tag thanks to the removal of the Surface Pen!

They've finally realized that not everyone on the planet uses the Surface Pen or needs one and so they've created a new SKU which excludes the Surface Pen.

This is only available for the core m3 model with 128GB SSD storage and 4GB RAM at a newer $799 USD price point.

With 2014's Pro 3, Microsoft occupied this price bracket by offering a 64GB drive with an i3. Unfortunately both i3s and 64GB drives became unpopular.

But I digres!

Surface-pro-4%20head_0.jpg

If you're looking to save a little bit of cash on a Surface Pro 4, the U.S. Microsoft Store is now offering a version of the tablet without a Surface Pen included (via Neowin). The option is only available on the lowest-end 128GB Intel Core m3 version of the tablet, but foregoing the Surface Pen knocks a solid $100 off of its price, dropping it down to $799.

The option to go sans Pen has been available with certain bundles at other retailers, like Best Buy, before, but this is the first time the U.S. Microsoft Store has offered such an option. Still, the Pen is a big part of the Surface experience, so it's curious that Microsoft would decouple the two with this configuration.

So yeah. This is a cool new SKU that I think will sell well for those looking for a cheaper SP4/ 2in1 experience.

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-will-now-sell-you-surface-pro-4-without-surface-pen

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Also, this dank blue type cover is the poster child accessory for the Pro 4.

I have one and someone I know also has one.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

LOL I paid even less with the pen, brand new tho not by much ($778 post Brexit conversion rate :p)

2 minutes ago, tlink said:

i hate microsoft for not including the keyboard. how many people will buy one without such an essential accessory? 

I don't need the keyboard, but my surface 3 broke and was looking into a replacement. Found the Acer switch alpha 12 which has the same specs, comes with a keyboard and starts at 500

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

6 minutes ago, The Benjamins said:

I don't need the keyboard, but my surface 3 broke and was looking into a replacement. Found the Acer switch alpha 12 which has the same specs, comes with a keyboard and starts at 500

how are thermals and throttling though, and same screen accuracy?

8 minutes ago, tlink said:

how are thermals and throttling though, and same screen accuracy?

I am not sure, haven't done much research yet. I just want something cheap. I wish they still had the non pro line.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

i would actiually want one with a pen seeing as i play OSU lol, would be a cool experience if its pretty lag free tbh

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Reading this on my Surface Pro 4. I got the i5 128gb model with a pen for 900 USD, then 100 USD for the keyboard. But my first pen broke so I had to buy a new one. I would consider a skin on the surface necessary with the back paint being so easily scratchable. There are marks and dents all over it, and I take exceptional care of it.

Computers r fun

4 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Reading this on my Surface Pro 4. I got the i5 128gb model with a pen for 900 USD, then 100 USD for the keyboard. But my first pen broke so I had to buy a new one. I would consider a skin on the surface necessary with the back paint being so easily scratchable. There are marks and dents all over it, and I take exceptional care of it.

I'm using Dbrand skin and they're pretty cheap and robust.

1 minute ago, atrash said:

I got one for another Surface in my family and they are really nice. I wish the offered skins that covered the sides of the surface too though.

Computers r fun

4 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

I got one for another Surface in my family and they are really nice. I wish the offered skins that covered the sides of the surface too though.

It'll be hard to apply properly with all the ports and the magnet for the pen.

47 minutes ago, tlink said:

i hate microsoft for not including the keyboard. how many people will buy one without such an essential accessory? 

In all my time of owning a surface pro 3 ive rarely used the keyboard. If im ever at my desk with it then i have it docked with a full keyboard. 

As for the pen,  it goes equally unused

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

1 hour ago, tlink said:

I got the keyboard 90% off.

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

i would actiually want one with a pen seeing as i play OSU lol, would be a cool experience if its pretty lag free tbh

It would only be lag free on the expensive i7 model with Iris graphics

1 hour ago, atrash said:

I still haven't gotten a skin lol.

I'll probably buy one soon or not at all though.

47 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

In all my time of owning a surface pro 3 ive rarely used the keyboard. If im ever at my desk with it then i have it docked with a full keyboard. 

As for the pen,  it goes equally unused

I use the keyboard with my Pro 4 every day. I use the pen on occasion but it's not something I use every day.

im trying to figure out why anyone would buy a Surface and not use the pen....and I can't really think of a valid reason. I know people do it, but, frankly the Surface offers a shitty laptop experience.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

13 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

im trying to figure out why anyone would buy a Surface and not use the pen....and I can't really think of a valid reason. I know people do it, but, frankly the Surface offers a shitty laptop experience.

The laptop experience isn't what i'd call shitty but I certainly wouldn't recommend it for a laptop experience.

EDIT: Fixed notifications

I didn't consider this earlier but this new price point really is hurting Apple as it competes with the 12.9" 32GB iPad Pro price wise.

Dang. That's some real competition right there.

12 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I got the keyboard 90% off.

well that makes it much more acceptable. but i personally would never buy it at its current price point.

21 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I use the keyboard with my Pro 4 every day. I use the pen on occasion but it's not something I use every day.

To be fair, i used the pro keyboard quite a bit until i bought the stationary dock.

ab2d9a23-9a1a-4276-88d4-0a944bfc0992.png

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

To me, the Surface line is nothing without the pen. The whole point of the device is the pen.

If you buy the Surface line device and you don't care about the pen, you can probably find a competing product that is cheaper.

Although, what is funny, is buying the device WITHOUT the pen, and adding a pen in your cart (with the interchangeable tips) it is cheaper than buying the system with the pen (without the interchangeable tips). I am sure the price will adjust shortly, but funny nonetheless.

3 minutes ago, GoodBytes said:

To me, the Surface line is nothing without the pen. The whole point of the device is the pen.

If you buy the Surface line device and you don't care about the pen, you can probably find a competing product that is cheaper.

Not necessarily. Those looking for a 2 in 1 are pretty well served by the Pro 4.

Although, what is funny, is buying the device WITHOUT the pen, and adding a pen in your cart (with the interchangeable tips) it is cheaper than buying the system with the pen (without the interchangeable tips). I am sure the price will adjust shortly, but funny nonetheless.

Yes that is funny.

Still a bit expensive for my taste, and the pen would be a big reason for me to consider one over its non-convertible compatition. I guess it's still quite competitively priced if you compare it to the ipad pro.

Yeah, that's what I thought too.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

3 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Chances are Microsoft doesn't care now. They're lowering prices, a bit indicative of a Pro 5 to come. Perhaps they're testing the waters of just selling the device itself?

Although I agree that the pen is an integral feature and function of Surface. Gives the Surface lineup validity as a Wacom replacement for us artists too.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

4 hours ago, atrash said:

It'll be hard to apply properly with all the ports and the magnet for the pen.

i was thinking maybe because of the hot air vents?  dont thing magnet would be a big problem 

54 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Chances are Microsoft doesn't care now. They're lowering prices, a bit indicative of a Pro 5 to come. Perhaps they're testing the waters of just selling the device itself?

I fully understand why Microsoft would do it -- it makes the product cheaper and people often don't think about additional costs (like accessories). 

But I still don't understand why anyone would buy a Surface and not use the pen. As far as I'm concerned, it offers a mediocre laptop and a mediocre tablet experience. The scaling makes using the touch screen a royal pain, and Windows really isn't a great touch OS. And the type cover sucks compared to a normal laptop keyboard. Not to mention that you can't just sit it comfortably on your lap like you would a normal laptop -- it always feels a bit precarious. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.