Windows 10 pushes notifcaitons to remind you to watch the Superbowl and to purchase snacks.

Syntaxvgm
19 minutes ago, Daring said:

I have those boxes disabled and I was still given the Super Bowl notification. Look, I know you and AluminumTech love Microsoft, but you two gotta admit that they're able to do something wrong at some point.

Love? HA! Doesn't mean I know a lot that I love.

Anyway, Like I said, check your Cortana settings. You probably added some Interest inside.

10 minutes ago, Gikero said:

You can run an application call Shutup10. Recently heard about it via a podcast and I used it on my gf's machine due to complaints of ads. It has a lot of opens, and makes a restore point in case the setting changes are not to your liking. 

Pretty much everything that this program does is just settings in Settings panel that it turns off.

1 minute ago, GoodBytes said:

Love? HA! Doesn't mean I know a lot that I love.

Anyway, Like I said, check your Cortana settings. You probably added some Interest inside.

FtLGloq.png

I was still given the Super Bowl notification, even though I tell Cortana "No, I'm not interested, please don't tell me about sports."

11 minutes ago, Daring said:

FtLGloq.png

I was still given the Super Bowl notification, even though I tell Cortana "No, I'm not interested, please don't tell me about sports."

Nah, she's just warning you about football zealot day coming up.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Haven't received this on mine, though it's enterprise edition. Sounds like a home version issue tbh

come on guys, just invest on a pfsense router, it'll pretty much pay for itself 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

21 hours ago, LAwLz said:

The next step in Microsoft's plan is probably to sell dildos. They will go from figuratively fucking their customers, to literally fucking their customers.

They'd be enabling customers to fuck themselves, huge difference from a legal POV :P

Anyway on topic, is anyone really surprised by this? Advertising has infiltrated every other aspect of our technological lives. Fucking YouTube on my tablet is serving me adverts every 15 minutes no matter what, I don't remember the last time I saw a webpage without adverts on it, my phone keeps nagging me to buy Mario run, my Shield keeps nagging me to subscribe to Nvidia whatever the fuck its called, even my hackintosh install is pushing app store adverts at me in the toast tray. Netflix have the bollocks to charge me £5.99 a month and still show me adverts.

Companies are willing to do whatever it takes to make the extra bucks these days and advertising seems to be the big thing right now.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

21 hours ago, Syntaxvgm said:

n83khEi.png

Yep so this is a thing. All 3 of my 10 machines got it. 

This is different from their normal ads which are for microsoft products like office, so I felt the need to make a news topic to bitch about it. 

I really think these notifications are crossing the line.

I have all of the notifications off and I even did some registry settings to disable them, but every update magically they are back on, and i still get the ads with them off.  

Do we not own our own computers anymore? 

I've never gotten any pop up likes that on any windows 10 (I have a lot of unlicensed windows 10 VM's running, and a few evaluations of the server one.) but I live in Ireland, I don't get any ads like that, or for microsoft products, given they're lucky I'm even using Windows on my Main bedroom PC, all my servers and desktops run either ESXi or Linux 

Yours faithfully

@Syntaxvgm

Just delete cortana from c:\Windows\System Apps\ using a live linux, plus nuke the windowsapps folder from C:\Program Files\ while you are at it... :D

11 hours ago, onlybuilt4cubanxlinx said:

I would love to jump to Linux.. My Steam library would suffer though... Which is the only thing holding me back.

i think you'd be surprised what you can get on steamOS

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

12 hours ago, Daring said:

i gave up on curtana when she refused to learn swear words. If AI can't talk dirty to me then whats the point

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

17 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

i think you'd be surprised what you can get on steamOS

Unfortunately, some of my favorites will not run on SteamOS. 

I too would love to jump to Linux for superior Blender render times, though dual booting is an inconvenience, as I tend to sleep the PC instead of turning it off. 

Games are literally the only thing holding me off Linux, and it's only a couple games at that (DX12 FML). Emulation runs on Linux (PCSX2), lighter games can run in Wine. Anything else will probably perform better than in Windows. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

I have everything, including Cortana on and I've never had a single notification. Granted, mine is the Pro version, and quite possibly not legit but still.

Laptop: Asus GA502DU

RAM: 16GB DDR4 | CPU: Ryzen 3750H | GPU: GTX 1660ti

Ultimately, this is a prime example of first world problems. Access to clean water and shelter? Psh F that, my computer telling me to watch a game is a travesty! lol

firts world problems i guess.....

On 03/02/2017 at 11:27 AM, Alaradia said:

you do own your computer which means you can choose what you put on it if you don't like whats on it change it go compile a linux kernel you can make sure there's no pop ups 

yeah no pop ups no photoshop or light room or any CC apps and you get to play with the comand line to install drivers......yeah

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

17 minutes ago, jaggysnake57 said:

firts world problems i guess.....

yeah no pop ups no photoshop or light room or any CC apps and you get to play with the comand line to install drivers......yeah

You dont have to compile anything or mess with command line, there is a ton of distros out there. And the wast majority do not have popup ads plus if any data collection is done in them you can simply delete that part(unlike spyware10).

8 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

You dont have to compile anything or mess with command line, there is a ton of distros out there. And the wast majority do not have popup ads plus if any data collection is done in them you can simply delete that part(unlike spyware10).

linux is a shite desktop os and to run it as your daily driver is a pain ive tried it i spent most of my time just trying to get the damn thing to work.

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Windows 10... You'd have to pay me in multiple Skylakes to upgrade from W7 64-bit to use that shit

Great idea Microsoft, everyone in the world cares about super bowl...

Also, can you somehow disable these notifications?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

On 3/2/2017 at 0:34 PM, samiscool51 said:

this is going to be annoying for me...

i hate football...

*Handegg

XCaST.jpg

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

8 hours ago, jaggysnake57 said:

linux is a shite desktop os and to run it as your daily driver is a pain ive tried it i spent most of my time just trying to get the damn thing to work.

And how many years ago was that? Nowadays linux has a pretty decent support for hardware...