CPU delid tool worth buying? (Rockit 88)

Owlman

http://rockitcool.myshopify.com/products/rockit-88

Does anyone here have experience with this thing? Is it worth it?

Desktop Rig:

CPU: i7-6700K  Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65  Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE  Memory: Corsair VENGEANCE LED 3200Mhz (2x8GB)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270i  SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB, Samsung PM981 1TB  Case: Louqe Ghost S1

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3418DW

Any similar products, that work better?

Desktop Rig:

CPU: i7-6700K  Cooler: Noctua NH-L9x65  Graphics card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE  Memory: Corsair VENGEANCE LED 3200Mhz (2x8GB)

Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z270i  SSD: Samsung 960 EVO 1TB, Samsung PM981 1TB  Case: Louqe Ghost S1

Delidding is never a good option. Unless you absolutely require lower temps, its not worth the extra 3-5C you would get back for $40+ (Removal tool, thermal adhesive, shipping costs). You could sell your CPU and buy a whole new one for that! Or just get a better CPU cooler if you're lame... ;)

36 minutes ago, Firecheetah13 said:

Also, you can damage your CPU no matter how safe the product says it is.

Thanks for the input. I have a few follow up questions:

Would it really be 3-5C less using liquid metal? 

Would my CPU benefit those extra degrees when overclocked as I think my CPU isn't the best chip?

Would be great if you could mention who knows more about this, if you know anyone ofc

Desktop Rig:

43 minutes ago, Firecheetah13 said:

Delidding is never a good option. Unless you absolutely require lower temps, its not worth the extra 3-5C you would get back for $40+ (Removal tool, thermal adhesive, shipping costs). You could sell your CPU and buy a whole new one for that! Or just get a better CPU cooler if you're lame... ;)

You can get a hell of a lot more out of it than 5C if you're overclocking.  Not that I recommend it anyway.

@Owlman If you're set on deliding, see if any of your friends own a vice.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

its actually more like 20c according to this article but it does depend on which cpu you have since some have bigger heat issues then the others and kaby lake has a big heat issue with the tim

7700k http://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/01/19/intel_kaby_lake_i77700k_cpu_delid_relid_results/ about 20 c

7600k http://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/02/02/intel_kaby_lake_i57600k_cpu_delid_relid_temp_results about 10 c

On 2/3/2017 at 5:14 AM, Alaradia said:

its actually more like 20c according to this article but it does depend on which cpu you have since some have bigger heat issues then the others and kaby lake has a big heat issue with the tim

7700k http://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/01/19/intel_kaby_lake_i77700k_cpu_delid_relid_results/ about 20 c

7600k http://www.hardocp.com/article/2017/02/02/intel_kaby_lake_i57600k_cpu_delid_relid_temp_results about 10 c

It's a 6700K (It says in my signature)

On 2/3/2017 at 5:12 AM, JoostinOnline said:

You can get a hell of a lot more out of it than 5C if you're overclocking.  Not that I recommend it anyway.

@Owlman If you're set on deliding, see if any of your friends own a vice.

I'd rather use a tool tbh. Vice + CPU doesn't seem remotely safe to me. 

Desktop Rig:

3 minutes ago, Owlman said:

It's a 6700K (It says in my signature)

Skylake doesn't have an overheating problem.  Still, anything that can break your $300+ CPU shouldn't be done without caution.  Only consider it if you're doing some serious overclocking.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

linus got a 3c improvement on a 6700k though if he was using a better tim he could probably get 5-6 c i wouldn't do it unless your using a kaby lake chip where the change is double digits 

On 2/3/2017 at 5:18 AM, Owlman said:

I'd rather use a tool tbh. Vice + CPU doesn't seem remotely safe to me. 

It's basically what the tools do, but without a sharp blade.  You'll find tons of other videos.  None of the process is really safe though. It also voids your warranty.  Overclocking doesn't.

On 2/3/2017 at 5:19 AM, Alaradia said:

linus got a 3c improvement on a 6700k though if he was using a better tim he could probably get 5-6 c i wouldn't do it unless your using a kaby lake chip where the change is double digits 

Linus didn't do it properly, as you'll see a billion people point out in the comments.  He used a crappy thermal compound, and he put the IHS back on with the stock cooler instead of using one directly onto the die.

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Skylake doesn't have an overheating problem.  Still, anything that can break your $300+ CPU shouldn't be done without caution.  Only consider it if you're doing some serious overclocking.

I am considering it because i think my CPU is a bit crap when it comes to overclocking. I seems I need fairly high voltages to reach 4,5 - 4,6Ghz.  

Desktop Rig:

2 minutes ago, Owlman said:

I am considering it because i think my CPU is a bit crap when it comes to overclocking. I seems I need fairly high voltages to reach 4,5 - 4,6Ghz.  

some chips are just worse then others its know as the silicon lottery if you want to look into it

1 hour ago, Firecheetah13 said:

It's not 3-5c, it's 15-30c with CLU.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

1 hour ago, Firecheetah13 said:

With Skylake you can actually get up to 20C+ temp drops. 

Before you delid your CPU, I need to ask a couple questions (PC Part Picker is down again)

1. Are you using a stock cooler
  2. Did you use the thermal paste that came with your cooler, stock or otherwise?

The thermal paste that comes with coolers is usually crap.  I recommend cleaning it all off (cotton ball + rubbing alcohol) and using Arctic MX-4.  There's a reason it has a 4.9/5 star review.  My temperatures dropped several degrees when I replaced the thermal paste.

Also, if you've never applied thermal paste before, I recommend practicing on a piece of paper or something.  It tends to flood out on the first use.  I got it everywhere the first time I did it. xD

12 minutes ago, Matias_Chambers said:

With Skylake you can actually get up to 20C+ temp drops. 

and ivy, and haswell, and devils canyon, and kaby.

Every chip that can be delidded shows these results.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

6 minutes ago, Lays said:

and ivy, and haswell, and devils canyon, and kaby.

Every chip that can be delidded shows these results.

i would trust every thing you have to say about this seeing as you most likely have hands on experience and knowlage that most dont about this. iv concidred de lidding my I5 4690K seeing as 80ish C is not really ideal but just havent done it yet

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

24 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Before you delid your CPU, I need to ask a couple questions (PC Part Picker is down again)

1. Are you using a stock cooler
  2. Did you use the thermal paste that came with your cooler, stock or otherwise?

The thermal paste that comes with coolers is usually crap.  I recommend cleaning it all off (cotton ball + rubbing alcohol) and using Arctic MX-4.  There's a reason it has a 4.9/5 star review.  My temperatures dropped several degrees when I replaced the thermal paste.

Also, if you've never applied thermal paste before, I recommend practicing on a piece of paper or something.  It tends to flood out on the first use.  I got it everywhere the first time I did it. xD

1. no, i'm using a kraken x61. probably going to switch to evga's QDC when that is released to cool both my cpu and future video card.

2. i'm currently using NT-H1 thermal paste

Have applied thermal paste a couple of times now and temps are not higher which means i did at least ok

Desktop Rig:

1 hour ago, JoostinOnline said:

I'm a bloody hack and I cringed at that vid. Bloke could of at the very least used a set of softjaws, and who the fuck doesn't own a vice? By all means hold it in a vice and cut the ihs off with a razor blade, but drift the fucking thing off?

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

7 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

I'm a bloody hack and I cringed at that vid. Bloke could of at the very least used a set of softjaws, and who the fuck doesn't own a vice? By all means hold it in a vice and cut the ihs off with a razor blade, but drift the fucking thing off?

This is the instruction video for the Rockit 88, seems relatively safe

Desktop Rig:

Just sell your current cpu cooler and put the extra money towards a better one. There will be more of an improvement in temps and you have basically no chance of damaging your CPU.

There are good and bad CPUs when it comes to the IHS. One of my 6700k is much worse under the same clocks and voltages than the other, enough such that it is unstable under Prime95 loads at only a mild OC to 4.2 GHz. It is NOT the problem with the cooler (Noctua D9L), but purely the TIM Intel applied. Intel's goal is to be "good enough" running at stock. 

I did use the Rockit 88 and the hottest core dropped 15C in like for like conditions, taking into consider ambient, with me using Noctua thermal compound. I'm not using liquid metal. That's a major difference. 80C+ before delid, mid-60's after. I put the lid on afterwards and didn't go direct die which has a load of other problems.

There is a new delid tool on the market which may be cheaper for those in Europe than the Rockit, but I forget its name.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

5 minutes ago, porina said:

There is a new delid tool on the market which may be cheaper for those in Europe than the Rockit, but I forget its name.

Please find it

Desktop Rig:

2 minutes ago, Owlman said:

Please find it

https://www.caseking.de/der8auer-delid-die-mate-2-fsd8-019.html

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible