I'm confused...

Go to solution Solved by Imakuni,
1 hour ago, Firecheetah13 said:

Although, how bad would it really be to leave my computer folding 20-22 hours a day?

You power bill will go up. And the room will be slightly warmer. But that's about as bad as it gets.

How much would this reduce the life of my components? Will it cause wear and tear?

Realistically, the parts will be obsolete and swapped long before they actually break from usage. Don't worry about it, you're not really harming your hardware.

And, the overarching question, is it worth it? I know that LTT is slipping in F@H, and I want to help, but I don't know if it is worth the risk.

If you believe in the cause, then yes, it's worth it. If you don't... well, it's still definitely worth it, though I suppose there's no point support something you don't believe in.

Okay, so I am fairly new to F@H and I only have 2.5m points. I have an rx 470 that I did a slight overclock on for the purpose of F@H (1230->1275MHz) and an i5 6500. I also recently built my pc to note. I have heard a lot of people saying that it should be ok to leave my computer folding on this overclock 24/7 without any problems (my CPU never goes above 61C, my GPU never goes above 56C). Although, how bad would it really be to leave my computer folding 20-22 hours a day? I can get 315k PPD if I have my system on full 24/7, and I only average 170k daily. How much would this reduce the life of my components? Will it cause wear and tear? And, the overarching question, is it worth it? I know that LTT is slipping in F@H, and I want to help, but I don't know if it is worth the risk.

Although, how bad would it really be to leave my computer folding 20-22 hours a day?

You power bill will go up. And the room will be slightly warmer. But that's about as bad as it gets.

How much would this reduce the life of my components? Will it cause wear and tear?

Realistically, the parts will be obsolete and swapped long before they actually break from usage. Don't worry about it, you're not really harming your hardware.

And, the overarching question, is it worth it? I know that LTT is slipping in F@H, and I want to help, but I don't know if it is worth the risk.

If you believe in the cause, then yes, it's worth it. If you don't... well, it's still definitely worth it, though I suppose there's no point support something you don't believe in.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

1 hour ago, Imakuni said:

Alright... I'll take your word for it (BTW I'm 13 so I don't care that much about power :P)

3 hours ago, Firecheetah13 said:

If it's going to be on that much, may as well be 24/7.  Why put it through a shutdown/bootup cycle for an hour or two of rest?

3 hours ago, Firecheetah13 said:

Okay, so I am fairly new to F@H and I only have 2.5m points. I have an rx 470 that I did a slight overclock on for the purpose of F@H (1230->1275MHz)

Did you test this with F@H?  Often overclocks that seem stable for anything else need to be dropped down a bit for F@H since it's so intense.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

44 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

If it's going to be on that much, may as well be 24/7.  Why put it through a shutdown/bootup cycle for an hour or two of rest?

I think he meant it as in stopping to game for an hour or 2.

Want to help researchers improve the lives on millions of people with just your computer? Then join World Community Grid distributed computing, and start helping the world to solve it's most difficult problems!

What everyone else here said is correct, just want to add my two cents.

I've got two r9 290's that were used for bitcoin the first two years of their life before I had them, they've been bought and resold I believe 3 times, and I've been running them near 24/7 for over a year now between folding at home and Boinc and I haven't seen a single issue.  So after 4 years of near worst case senerio use they are still rock solid.

So no need to fear part degradation, so have some fun folding those proteins man.

6 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Did you test this with F@H?  Often overclocks that seem stable for anything else need to be dropped down a bit for F@H since it's so intense.

Yea, playing GOW4 and Hitman for a couple hours :P 1275 looks stable, but I can drop it to 1260 to be sure

Gaming is the only reason i don't fold, but i got less time for that in tax season. so its running 24/7. but with gaming and f@h my computer has been pushed 100% for almost a year now. no sign of ware well less for a seagate ssd/hdd hybrid drive that was DOA, and 2nd one died in a week and 3rd one died 9 weeks after that one. but folding at home doesn't hit the HDD like the CPU and GPU. 
the LTT f@h team does need more active folders
keep up the good work @Firecheetah13 

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/04/2017 at 11:23 PM, blackmage1134 said:

Gaming is the only reason i don't fold, but i got less time for that in tax season. so its running 24/7. but with gaming and f@h my computer has been pushed 100% for almost a year now. no sign of ware well less for a seagate ssd/hdd hybrid drive that was DOA, and 2nd one died in a week and 3rd one died 9 weeks after that one. but folding at home doesn't hit the HDD like the CPU and GPU. 
the LTT f@h team does need more active folders
keep up the good work @Firecheetah13 

Might be just bad luck, but I've had too many Seagate drives fail over the years, I don't trust them at all anymore.  WD for HDD, currently two different SSD in two systems, crucial MX in my laptop 2+years, newer PNY in my desktop... We'll see which one dies first, I guess.

Please forgive my off-topic post... Reading about Seagate failures always triggers me...

59 minutes ago, Gargone77 said:

Might be just bad luck, but I've had too many Seagate drives fail over the years, I don't trust them at all anymore.  WD for HDD, currently two different SSD in two systems, crucial MX in my laptop 2+years, newer PNY in my desktop... We'll see which one dies first, I guess.

Please forgive my off-topic post... Reading about Seagate failures always triggers me...

Oh i understand, i replaced the with a WD black drive and that one has yet to fail me. I am guessing it was bad luck or the line wasn't QAed as much as Seagate replaced that line.