Google will soon integrate Progressive Web Apps deeper into Android

ComTech14
On 2/2/2017 at 5:32 PM, Misanthrope said:

What the hell is a progressive app.

*reads*

*stops reading*

Far too many stupid fucking buzz words for me, anyone can translate?

I can't understand it either, but looking at the pretty illustrations on Googles dev page, I believe its like the things on the Google Now Launcher. If you search for weather on Google Now, it brings up the interface in "web" form (so its off their website, not like an app). If you click on the interface, it lets you interact with the weather of the week, temperature, and wind like as if you are using a weather app. I guess that is what google is trying to do better, but with more websites. 

Space Journal #1: So Apparently i  was dropped on the moon like i'm a mars rover, in a matter of hours i have found the transformers on the dark side of the moon. Turns out its not that dark since dem robots are filled with lights, i waved hi to the Russians on the space station, turns out all those stories about space finding humans instead of the other way around is true(soviet Russia joke). They threw me some Heineken beer and I've been sitting staring at the people of this forum and earth since. 

On 03/02/2017 at 2:30 AM, LAwLz said:

"Progressive Web apps" is just a fancy word for websites which hooks into Google similarly to how a native program would do. For example, Soundcloud hooks into volume controls. So instead of having to open up your browser, navigate to the soundcloud tab and then lower the volume, the soundcloud website is able to display volume controls in the notification field.

Another example would be to allow a website like LinusTechTips to send push notifications without needing to install an app.

I think paperplanes.world demonstrates it pretty well. You need to open it on your phone though. It will look and feel like a native app, despite being a website.

Just to be clear, you don't need Google's web services for push notifications. There's a web standard for push that works across Opera, Chrome, Firefox, and potentially a couple other browsers I can't remember.

But other than this it's basically what LAwLz said. Google's just trying to push less integrated native apps for web related apps. Like the Facebook app and tumblr app and bestbuy app don't make too much sense tbh. Instead build a caching webapp using service workers than can have some limited offline functionality, and use that in place of an app.

Basically Google wants to support the same kind of webapps that FirefoxOS was designed around, natively on their platform just like FirefoxOS.