time lapse help

Go to solution Solved by CaptainSi,

You need to learn how to expose the camera properly and manually. Shutter speed is especially critical when doing timelapses, and using manual mode is important to maintain consistency between frames. You then need to learn how to focus the camera properly and manually. You then need to figure out a way of mounting the camera, whether that be with a tripod or ropes and common sense. If you're in a high wind environment use sandbags to weigh the thing down. You then need to work out how wet the camera is going to get. For example, if it's at a beach, make sure it won't get drenched by spray, and likewise if you're in the middle of a cyclone, ya dun goofy. You need to consider power supply and storage, this depends on the frequency of your images, how long they're exposed for and obviously how long you're shooting for. Once you've determined these things you have my permission to buy yourself an intervalometer (sometimes called a timing remote). They all do the same thing, so you shouldn't need to invest too heavily in one, some cheapo ones on Amazon will go just fine. Take your photos, then compile your images in your video editing proggy of choice. Consider using effects like the Ken Burns effect for maximum awesomeness. 

Have fun man

Hi there i have a nikon D90 and would like to shoot a few time lapses soon what do i need to get it done?

i know nothing about cameras i still use it as a point and shoot mostly havent had time to learn it yet and its been 3 years lol

I have the same camera, lucky you.  You can connect the camera to a PC or Mac and get a time lapsing program such as VideoVelocity for PC or the preinstalled app Image Capture on Mac.  Set it to take a photo every 2 seconds, save all of these photos to a folder on your desktop, this will make every realtime minute into a second at 30fps, you'll have to manually compile the images into a 30fps video, I use Blender and don't know if other softwares can do that.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

You need to learn how to expose the camera properly and manually. Shutter speed is especially critical when doing timelapses, and using manual mode is important to maintain consistency between frames. You then need to learn how to focus the camera properly and manually. You then need to figure out a way of mounting the camera, whether that be with a tripod or ropes and common sense. If you're in a high wind environment use sandbags to weigh the thing down. You then need to work out how wet the camera is going to get. For example, if it's at a beach, make sure it won't get drenched by spray, and likewise if you're in the middle of a cyclone, ya dun goofy. You need to consider power supply and storage, this depends on the frequency of your images, how long they're exposed for and obviously how long you're shooting for. Once you've determined these things you have my permission to buy yourself an intervalometer (sometimes called a timing remote). They all do the same thing, so you shouldn't need to invest too heavily in one, some cheapo ones on Amazon will go just fine. Take your photos, then compile your images in your video editing proggy of choice. Consider using effects like the Ken Burns effect for maximum awesomeness. 

Have fun man

Have fun man

i had a feeling it would be a software thing well i am off to play with my camera some more thanks,

You can get shutter release cords with interval functions if you don't fancy lugging a laptop around with you.

For this timelapse I just filmed and speeded up the footage 49x.

The original footage is around 2.5 hours 26gb :-)

For this timelapse I just filmed and speeded up the footage 49x.

The original footage is around 2.5 hours 26gb :-)

That's not time-lapse, that's accelerated video :P

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB