Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mira Yurizaki

NVIDIA requires hardware verfication for game codes bundled with hardware

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

That makes sense. 

 

And I know someone who complained about a similar scenario to what @Bouzoo brought up. He gets 2 GPUs for sli and gives away the second code. What happens to the second code?

Nvidia eats it I guess. It's a fair criticism of this system as it "hurts" (wrong word) the honest people who don't turn around to resell the keys. Then again, you're not paying anything extra to get the code except buying the video card anyways.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dan Castellaneta said:

Good thing the only thing I play is Team Fortress 2.

wow dude why dont you play a real shooter like call of duty dank ops 6? :^)

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

you only need GFE to verify that you actually have the hardware you bought the game code for so you can redeem it for an actual code. It doesn't mean the game is tied to the hardware.

are you guys even reading? the code you get is not the actually game code, all you need to do is redeem it through GFE to get the actual game code(then uninstall GFE) then give that code to the friend(or yourself) to redeem it through the store, steam, origin, uplay etc


Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

                         The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

                                                                                                               i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, themaniac said:

are you guys even reading? the code you get is not the actually game code, all you need to do is redeem it through GFE to get the actual game code(then uninstall GFE) then give that code to the friend(or yourself) to redeem it through the store, steam, origin, uplay etc

 

so it does nothing except force you to install and uninstall GeForce experience and you can still give the actual game code away or sell it

Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually could benefit from this program: The promotional keys where previously handled by the retailers and well being the scumbags that they are, retail stores in Mexico hide or make it very difficult for you to get your key from the cards they import.

 

I could just authenticate my key and hardware and bypass the annoying idiots that try to sell the keys themselves, which is probably why Nvidia did this: Not because consumers taking advantage but because of shady retailers taking advantage specially abroad.


-------

Current Rig

-------

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

I actually could benefit from this program: The promotional keys where previously handled by the retailers and well being the scumbags that they are, retail stores in Mexico hide or make it very difficult for you to get your key from the cards they import.

 

I could just authenticate my key and hardware and bypass the annoying idiots that try to sell the keys themselves, which is probably why Nvidia did this: Not because consumers taking advantage but because of shady retailers taking advantage specially abroad.

Yeah, I believe they're doing this in response to key resellers like G2A and Kinguin. Although, at the same time it sucks because it makes giveaways of unwanted games included with your card harder.


Mechanical keyboard aficionado, professional fox

Mechanical Keyboard Club | Don't buy "gaming" keyboards, yo

Please quote me so I can see that you replied.

 

Be proud of who you are.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Install

Get code

Uninstall

???

Profit


Awareness is key. Never enough, even in the face of futility. Speak the truth as if you may never get to say it again. This world is full of ugly. Change it they say. The only way is to reveal the ugly. To change the truth you must first acknowledge it. Never pretend it isn't there. Never bend the knee.

 

Please quote my post in your reply, so that I will be notified and can respond to it. Thanks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wikiforce said:

another bullshit policy by greedy nvidia, what is wrong in someone else using redeem like a family member or friend? Another reason could be they want to shove GFE down our throats which luckily fails to install on my pc but why is it mandatory to install in recent releases? fucking nuts. Their drivers itself are so bloated.

1) Read the post more carefully - You just need to prove you've bought the hardware to GET the game code. You can do whatever you want with the game code after you've got it.

2) Have ANY knowledge on the topic, or at least read the comments. - Someone already posted that AMD has already been doing this.

3) THEN post your opinion.

 

 

I have always been against the DRM movement. People who are going to buy are going to buy, people who are going to pirate are going to pirate. Making things less convenient for the people who actually want to buy your product is not the answer... But this is hardly an issue exclusive to Nvidia.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, -BirdiE- said:

2) Have ANY knowledge on the topic, or at least read the comments. - Someone already posted that AMD has already been doing this.

So what you're saying is, is that AMD does the same stuff Nvidia does? Why I never!

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, -BirdiE- said:

 

 

 

I have always been against the DRM movement. People who are going to buy are going to buy, people who are going to pirate are going to pirate. Making things less convenient for the people who actually want to buy your product is not the answer... But this is hardly an issue exclusive to Nvidia.

Just cause NVIDIA isn't the only one doesn't make it okay 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wolther said:

Just cause NVIDIA isn't the only one doesn't make it okay 

Of course it doesn't.

 

I'm just super tired of fanboys on BOTH sides seeing an article about the "evil" or "shitty" company, incorrectly interpreting the information to fit their agenda, and turning the thread into a flame war rather than discussing the issue at hand.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So what happens when you upgrade hardware?  does the game keeps working since you no longer have the hardware the game came with?   What about a windows reinstall after upgrading the video card?


Mystery is the source of all true science.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted · Original PosterOP
18 minutes ago, Arokhantos said:

Probably to put an end to selling free games to g2a etc.

There's probably nothing stopping the person from doing that anyway once they obtain the actual game key, but it just makes it harder to do so because they have to physically install the hardware. You can still return it provided you bought from a reputable dealer, but I'm sure at some point they'll get suspicious that you continue to buy and return hardware.

 

1 minute ago, Sors said:

So what happens when you upgrade hardware?  does the game keeps working since you no longer have the hardware the game came with?   What about a windows reinstall after upgrading the video card?

My OP had addressed that. :/

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Arokhantos said:

Probably to put an end to selling free games to g2a etc.

Nvidia doesn't care at all about people selling codes on G2A. In fact, if their customers can get a monetary bonus for buying their GPUs, they're probably happy about that.

What they're trying to avoid is people ordering the GPU, getting the code, and then canceling the order.

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Nena360 said:

I do not even have crapware 3.0 aka cancer force 3.0 on my machines! ;__; ((well I will buy Radeon for sure next upgrade...))

Why do people hate GFE so much?

 

Aside from issues updating drivers on a 7 year old laptop and some odd error trying to install the major (3.0 I think) update a while back that required downloading an installer for 3.0 instead of updating my existing install to fix I really haven't had any other trouble with it.  

 

It works just fine for updating drivers when I felt the need to like to get the new version with the stuff for helping RE7 run better.  I don't really use it for anything else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

Why do people hate GFE so much?

No idea. Whenever a company asks to log some data to help them improve the customer experience everyone jumps on facetwat or whatever and uploads pictures of their genitals while yelling about how they have the right to privacy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DrMikeNZ said:

No idea. Whenever a company asks to log some data to help them improve the customer experience everyone jumps on facetwat or whatever and uploads pictures of their genitals while yelling about how they have the right to privacy.

Does it store a lot of data that people would be so worried?

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

I was just writing about this, good thing I double checked. 

 

Yes, only, and GFE only works with NV accounts which people are avoiding because:

1) Metadata

2) GFE is rubbish (GFE 3.0 less so, but it still is)

 

Also, even if it's possible to activate with having the same card is still horrible. Imagine if you wanted to give a double game to a friend that has AMD or any other NV card. Right. 

 

 

16 hours ago, Nena360 said:

I do not even have crapware 3.0 aka cancer force 3.0 on my machines! ;__; ((well I will buy Radeon for sure next upgrade...))

 

16 hours ago, Wikiforce said:

another bullshit policy by greedy nvidia, what is wrong in someone else using redeem like a family member or friend? Another reason could be they want to shove GFE down our throats which luckily fails to install on my pc but why is it mandatory to install in recent releases? fucking nuts. Their drivers itself are so bloated.

 

16 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

Desperate for people to use the crap that is GFE.

 

to all of you ^^^^^^^

giphy.gif

 

put down the pitch forks and read the OP again......

 

16 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You know, you could just:

  • Obtain said code
  • Install GFE (use a burner email if you need to)
  • Redeem code
  • Uninstall GFE

And that would be the end of that.

 tumblr_o2gxlaxRTE1rkxjvao1_500.gif

 

 

 


"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×