4K movie + TV + usb?

rasesh

Hey guys have a simple question for you.

I have a 4k TV & was wondering if i have a 4k show/movie downloaded on a usb can I simply plug the usb into the usb slot on my 4K TV and watch it in 4k?

Is it that simple or do i need 10 other things to make it work?

Thanks!

In my experience, the USB ports on the back are strictly power for devices like amazon fire tv. Your best bet would be to plug a laptop into the tv, and play the movie from there. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

2 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

In my experience, the USB ports on the back are strictly power for devices like amazon fire tv. Your best bet would be to plug a laptop into the tv, and play the movie from there. 

Wouldn't you need a 4k video player on that laptop and then play that movie on the laptop using that 4k player to be able to make the TV use it's 4k for the movie ...?

No idea how it works it's SO CONFUSING!

3 hours ago, rasesh said:

Wouldn't you need a 4k video player on that laptop and then play that movie on the laptop using that 4k player to be able to make the TV use it's 4k for the movie ...?

no your computer just have to be able to play the 4k video or it will stutter. when i tried to play 4k video on my crappy laptop the video will just stutter every now and then.

14 hours ago, rasesh said:

No, as long as your laptop is equipped with a port able to handle 4k/30fps (which any current laptop should have) it will run fine. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

1 hour ago, bgibbz said:

No, as long as your laptop is equipped with a port able to handle 4k/30fps (which any current laptop should have) it will run fine. 

so the laptop doesn't need to be 4k itself with a 4k video player?

Reason I ask is if i use VLC to play a 4k video file it'll most likely play in 1080p max.

Hooking it up to the TV ... the TV will just play exactly what is displayed on the laptop.

Also, my 4k tv is not 4:4:4.

4 hours ago, rasesh said:

so the laptop doesn't need to be 4k itself with a 4k video player?

Reason I ask is if i use VLC to play a 4k video file it'll most likely play in 1080p max.

Hooking it up to the TV ... the TV will just play exactly what is displayed on the laptop.

Also, my 4k tv is not 4:4:4.

In windows display settings, set multi display to extend rather than clone. This way Windows will read 2 individual displays, each having there own resolution. You can then play the file on the 4k display and it should play correctly. 

On 2017-02-02 at 1:29 PM, bgibbz said:

In windows display settings, set multi display to extend rather than clone. This way Windows will read 2 individual displays, each having there own resolution. You can then play the file on the 4k display and it should play correctly. 

Okay & what about the player i use to play the file with?

If i use VLC it'll max at 1080p so even if the TV tries to output 4k it wont be able to correct?

...Actually, if it's a Smart TV it almost certainly is capable of file playback off the USB port.  My Samsung Tizen TV has no problem with this.  That said, exact format and container support would vary by make and model.

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

...Actually, if it's a Smart TV it almost certainly is capable of file playback off the USB port.  My Samsung Tizen TV has no problem with this.  That said, exact format and container support would vary by make and model.

So, if it's a smart TV I can just load my 4k movie on a USB and play it basically?

I do it all the time but never tried with a 4K show/movie to see what would happen since i keep feeling like a 4k show or movie would need some sort of player to play the movie/show within.

2 minutes ago, rasesh said:

So, if it's a smart TV I can just load my 4k movie on a USB and play it basically?

I do it all the time but never tried with a 4K show/movie to see what would happen since i keep feeling like a 4k show or movie would need some sort of player to play the movie/show within.

It's likely, yes, but again, exact container and format support could vary by make and model.  If you have a smart TV, then just stick a USB key in with a file you want to test and see if it works.  You'd get a much more definitive answer for your specific model of TV than you ever will asking on this forum.

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

It's likely, yes, but again, exact container and format support could vary by make and model.  If you have a smart TV, then just stick a USB key in with a file you want to test and see if it works.  You'd get a much more definitive answer for your specific model of TV than you ever will asking on this forum.

I just don't know how I'd be able to tell if the file is playing in 4k or not.

1 minute ago, rasesh said:

I just don't know how I'd be able to tell if the file is playing in 4k or not.

If your TV is playing the file and your TV is 4K, then your TV is most certainly playing it in 4K.  My Samsung Smart TV wills how OSD icons for 4K or HDR playback when it's playing a file off USB.  Not that i use the USB playback option much.

Honestly, stop posting and start experimenting.

ms-frizzle-quote.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

If you have the ability to playback files on the tv (like a smart tv) you dont need it. If you want to watch 4k videos hook up your gaming pc or laptop to it