RyZen will get official Windows 7 support

Space Reptile
1 minute ago, Urishima said:

Whoa there, buddy. No need to be drastic.

You're right, I'm just insulting garbage at this point.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

1 hour ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Windows 7 IS VISTA. It is nigh identical to Vista on the kernel level, and 8 through 10 are notable and significant departures from the vista/7 kernel (with 10 sharing as similar a kernel to 8.1 as 7 does to Vista).

I'm aware of that. It's Vista's lack of modern hardware and driver support that makes it more different than Windows 7 and onwards.

Allowing people the option to buy new hardware and run out of date, terribly insecure, and non-supported platforms is the same crap that cost us 5+ extra years of 32 bit games (2011 games requiring custom script extenders when the first 64 bit consumer processors came out in 2003).

You're not getting the point that Windows 10 is nearly the same OS than Windows 7, and so when people design for Windows 10, they're pretty much also designing for Windows 7, and vice versa. There is nothing being held back by continued development for Windows 7.

And with all the problems there have been with Windows 10 updates since its release, a person is likely to be far more secure by using Windows 7 right now than by using Windows 10.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

8 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

There is nothing being held back by continued development for Windows 7.

Not entirely. It takes man hours to develop and validate for both 7 and 10, due to their minor differences. Those man hours could be spent polishing for just one further.

However, it's the minor differences that keep people from 10, and I agree that both could and should be supported for a little while longer.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

9 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

I've already been told it's going to be the other way around, with APUs coming first. FFS @chaozbandit xD

I don't even know. I'll just wait and see.

The cpus will release first in a few weeks time. This was confirmed at their q4 stakeholders meeting last week. Apus are expected around the beginning of q3.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

1 hour ago, SCHISCHKA said:

Unfortunately if you try to research online you get quite a bit of FUD and rubbish "research" by the likes of the BSA. I worked in anti-piracy for a few years and I'm happy to chat when I'm not busy. If you read the license agreements (who does that?) the product key is only one component of a license. A license is quite simply a contract. A key is a way to pass their DRM; it gives you the technical ability to use the software but does not give you the legal right. You have staff members that would have worked in sales and will know how crappy the margins are on OEM and retail software

I suppose that makes sense.  Never thought to make that distinction.  But... how does this relate back to the XP licenses?

1 hour ago, SCHISCHKA said:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/help/17140/general-lifecycle-policy-questions

go to the section regarding the difference between mainstream and extended support. Unless you are a MS partner, software developer, or some special relationship to MS engineers, the mainstream support is unlikely to be relevant to you. Extended support with security updates is all a consumer needs to be concerned with. Whether your drivers will be supported isn't up to microsoft but third parties. 

I know they're different and I know the Extended date hasn't yet passed, but it's coming :D 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

13 minutes ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

I suppose that makes sense.  Never thought to make that distinction.  But... how does this relate back to the XP licenses?

XP? they stopped selling those ages ago. Id be surprised if anyone still had legit copies, they would've been sold out after the consumer Vista rejection. That other post where they said they can get any license for $20; that is too cheap to be legit especially if they are buying something years after end of sale. They might be re-selling their VL keys which is breaking their contract and a pretty dumb move unless you are based in a country where MS cannot be bothered to touch you. In saying that they did hire police in thailand a decade ago to go around the internet cafes armed with assault rifles

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

24 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

XP? they stopped selling those ages ago. Id be surprised if anyone still had legit copies, they would've been sold out after the consumer Vista rejection. That other post where they said they can get any license for $20; that is too cheap to be legit especially if they are buying something years after end of sale. They might be re-selling their VL keys which is breaking their contract and a pretty dumb move unless you are based in a country where MS cannot be bothered to touch you. In saying that they did hire police in thailand a decade ago to go around the internet cafes armed with assault rifles

xD and I thought I didn't want people using XP... 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Lol you showed your own complete and utter ignorance with that display.

Windows 7 IS VISTA. It is nigh identical to Vista on the kernel level, and 8 through 10 are notable and significant departures from the vista/7 kernel (with 10 sharing as similar a kernel to 8.1 as 7 does to Vista).

Care to explain how Vista and Windows 7 were "nigh identical" but Windows 7 and Windows 8 aren't on a kernel level? I don't want any vague answers either, since you are calling others ignorant.

Allowing people the option to buy new hardware and run out of date, terribly insecure, and non-supported platforms is the same crap that cost us 5+ extra years of 32 bit games (2011 games requiring custom script extenders when the first 64 bit consumer processors came out in 2003).

Are you calling Windows 7 "terribly insecure"? Because Windows 7 had fewer publicly known security holes than Windows 10 had last year. Care to back up your claim that Windows 7 is unsecure and Windows 10 isn't?

Windows 7 is still supported. It will continue to be supported until 2020.

What do you mean Windows 7 cost us 5+ extra years of 32 bit games? Are you saying Microsoft should have dropped the 32bit version with Windows 7? If so, I hope you realize that there is a 32bit version of Windows 10 too. They didn't go 64bit-only with Windows 10.

For the average consumer using EoL operating systems at all is an accident waiting to happen, and purposefully throwing it on new hardware is a travesty.

Good thing Windows 7 isn't EoL, right? Support stops in 2020. So it's 3 years until support stops.

EoL for Windows 7 was over two years ago. Aka no official technical support WHATSOEVER. It does gets slow rolling security patches until 2020 though.

That's not EoL. What ended was sales and mainstream support. Also, Microsoft clearly showed that they don't give a damn about their customers and ended the support for Windows 7 early, so security updates was all you were getting anyway. The end of mainstream support didn't mean anything to anyone. Nothing changed.

1 hour ago, Fetzie said:

The cpus will release first in a few weeks time. This was confirmed at their q4 stakeholders meeting last week. Apus are expected around the beginning of q3.

that sucks because I'm waiting to see if i can build a 1080p gaming machine with an APU that kicks a consoles ass

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

10 hours ago, VerticalDiscussions said:

Ah come on, just get Windows 10 already. Its free .-.

#WasFree

Technically still is... But noone talks about it (I did it and it works, upgraded W8.1 to W10 for free)

3 hours ago, Curufinwe_wins said:

Allowing people the option to buy new hardware and run out of date, terribly insecure, and non-supported platforms is the same crap that cost us 5+ extra years of 32 bit games (2011 games requiring custom script extenders when the first 64 bit consumer processors came out in 2003)

mmm yes. all that extra head room we would have had with 64 bit 5 years sooner only to still be hamstrung by xbox360/ps3 console ports. When windows isn't an advertisement by default people may start taking it seriously.

4770k @4.4 / 16GB @2400 / Plextor MP5X 128GB / MSI Mpower Z87 / MSI GTX 1070 Armor OC / AX860 / XSPC RX240 & EX240 / Koolance 380i / CM 690 II / Qnix 1440p @96Hz / Benq XL2420G

Current Status: Mourning the loss of my 780 ti 

12 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Not initially. First, AMD will just push Ryzen CPUs, with APUs to follow at a later date, presumably because they're going to be packing Vega based graphics (probably cut back to between RX460 and RX470 levels of performance at the high end).

You think they can pack more graphics processing power into an APU than my entire RX 460? 

I'd actually really like to buy that then. No more discrete GPU for me ^_^

6 hours ago, Ryan_Vickers said:

Hm, that quote out of context could make it sound like there will be no RyZen APUs :D 

well cpu= cant do . gpu= can do  and apu = cpu+gpu so it can do :P 

----------

But... aren't you from Germany?  Couldn't you translate yourself? :P 

yea but im also lazy and it was midnight when posting this topic

----------

6 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

ignoring the possible errors in translation I wonder if it will cooperate nicely with Nvidia GPU

most likely , it just looks in the gpu for the Encoding/Decoding hardware and uses it , its down to the drivers of the gpu to cooperate w/ this request 

----------

Then please buy out the entire stock of XP licenses so no one else can have them :P 

lucky me , i own a mass licence , just pop in the cd and no key required :P 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

9 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

And between the two, Windows 7 is less resource-heavy than Windows 10, on my machine (which has both installed)

Last year I did the exact same comparison between fresh, fully updated installs of Vista SP2 and Win7 SP1 on the same machine, and Win7 was using more RAM, needed more disk space and worked the CPU a lot harder (you really notice that difference on a small single-core Atom)

So basically Win10 is a much bigger resource hog than Vista ever was.

16 hours ago, Space Reptile said:

Snip (original post)

http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2016/9/5/microsoft-confirms-no-backwards-compatibility-on-7th-generation-processors

I have been following this since at least September when Microsoft said that there wasn't going to be any backwards compatability on the new chips for any OS older than W10.

So yes, this may run; however, the prior OS's won't be optimized or updated to take advantage of any advanced processor capabilities. W10 will be optimized with the new processors of course, but they won't be putting any effort into ensuring there aren't any bugs with W7 and the new Intel or AMD chips.

So, no... not a surprise that AMD Ryzen will work with W7, but don't be surprised if W7 doesn't cooperate to well with any enhanced CPU features. Same with Intel. Windows is flexible and will run on almost anything.

26 minutes ago, Captain Chaos said:

Last year I did the exact same comparison between fresh, fully updated installs of Vista SP2 and Win7 SP1 on the same machine, and Win7 was using more RAM, needed more disk space and worked the CPU a lot harder (you really notice that difference on a small single-core Atom)

So basically Win10 is a much bigger resource hog than Vista ever was.

i ran windows 7 on a Dell inspiron laptop ,

2.4ghz mobile P4 (single core single thread) , a Geforce MX440 gpu and a whopping 700mb ram 

it ran faster and more reliable than XP (the os it was made for) 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

27 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

So yes, this may run; however, the prior OS's won't be optimized or updated to take advantage of any advanced processor capabilities. W10 will be optimized with the new processors of course, but they won't be putting any effort into ensuring there aren't any bugs with W7 and the new Intel or AMD chips.

So, no... not a surprise that AMD Ryzen will work with W7, but don't be surprised if W7 doesn't cooperate to well with any enhanced CPU features. Same with Intel. Windows is flexible and will run on almost anything.

amd will release official drivers for those features for operation on windows 7 , the cpu will work no matter what as it is an X86 , kaby works aswell under 7 , just certain features are locked as there are no drivers , also its a bit less stable 

PSU Tier list

7 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Care to explain how Vista and Windows 7 were "nigh identical" but Windows 7 and Windows 8 aren't on a kernel level? I don't want any vague answers either, since you are calling others ignorant.

Are you calling Windows 7 "terribly insecure"? Because Windows 7 had fewer publicly known security holes than Windows 10 had last year. Care to back up your claim that Windows 7 is unsecure and Windows 10 isn't?

Windows 7 is still supported. It will continue to be supported until 2020.

What do you mean Windows 7 cost us 5+ extra years of 32 bit games? Are you saying Microsoft should have dropped the 32bit version with Windows 7? If so, I hope you realize that there is a 32bit version of Windows 10 too. They didn't go 64bit-only with Windows 10.

Good thing Windows 7 isn't EoL, right? Support stops in 2020. So it's 3 years until support stops.

That's not EoL. What ended was sales and mainstream support. Also, Microsoft clearly showed that they don't give a damn about their customers and ended the support for Windows 7 early, so security updates was all you were getting anyway. The end of mainstream support didn't mean anything to anyone. Nothing changed.

A) A lot of the driver stack changed in Windows 8, particularly revolving around Display and Network drivers. A lot of task scheduling and resource management changed too. There are a *TON* of under the hood changes that happened. Saying that the version of NT in Windows 7 and the version of NT in Windows 10 are the same kernel is like saying that Linux 2.6 and 4.7 are the same kernel. Go try and run Fedora 24 on new hardware with a Linux 2.6 kernel xP

B) I don't disagree with you that Windows 7 is probably more secure than Windows 10 but be careful with your facts. The article you link is about vulnerabilities fixed that year, not total vulnerabilities. It does not include outstanding vulnerabilities or vulnerabilities that haven't been fixed. It also doesn't address how long the vulnerability existed before being patched.

C) It is supported for extended support only. While that may not be relevant to you, it definitely is to hardware and software vendors who decide what versions of Windows to target using that info.

10 hours ago, SCHISCHKA said:

you have confused end of life with end of sales. OEM windows 7 pro was only end of sales last year and will have extended support until Jan 14th 2020.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-nz/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

No actually I didn't. End of MAINSTREAM support means no online/phone/tech support for non-enterprise customers.

Client operating systems  Latest update or service pack  End of mainstream support  End of extended support
  Windows XP  Service Pack 3  April 14, 2009  April 8, 2014
  Windows Vista  Service Pack 2  April 10, 2012  April 11, 2017
  Windows 7*  Service Pack 1  January 13, 2015  January 14, 2020
  Windows 8  Windows 8.1  January 9, 2018  January 10, 2023
Windows 10, released in July 2015**  N/A  October 13, 2020  October 14, 2025

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13853/windows-lifecycle-fact-sheet

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2475079,00.asp

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

4 hours ago, cj09beira said:

i am using xp on win 8.1

my god that's ugly xD 

10 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

I'm aware of that. It's Vista's lack of modern hardware and driver support that makes it more different than Windows 7 and onwards.

You're not getting the point that Windows 10 is nearly the same OS than Windows 7, and so when people design for Windows 10, they're pretty much also designing for Windows 7, and vice versa. There is nothing being held back by continued development for Windows 7.

And with all the problems there have been with Windows 10 updates since its release, a person is likely to be far more secure by using Windows 7 right now than by using Windows 10.

See the comment below. It really isn't.

27 minutes ago, Sniperfox47 said:

A) A lot of the driver stack changed in Windows 8, particularly revolving around Display and Network drivers. A lot of task scheduling and resource management changed too. There are a *TON* of under the hood changes that happened. Saying that the version of NT in Windows 7 and the version of NT in Windows 10 are the same kernel is like saying that Linux 2.6 and 4.7 are the same kernel. Go try and run Fedora 24 on new hardware with a Linux 2.6 kernel xP

https://insights.sei.cmu.edu/cert/2016/11/windows-10-cannot-protect-insecure-applications-like-emet-can.html

windows_mitigations_updated3.png

From a purely OS standpoint, feature by feature, implementation by implementation. Windows 7 is notably less secure than Windows 10 (if anyone really wanted to stay on a non-10 OS, 8.1 is many many times closer to 10 as far as safety, feature mitigation, and drivers go).

Oh and the white-hat groups summary recommendations?

From an exploit mitigation perspective, upgrading to Windows 10 is a good idea.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS