6-core Ryzen processors technically possible

Levis95l

A few days back we heard a rumour that there was not going to be a 6-core sku of Ryzen. There's a post about it here.

I among other people speculated that it would be due to Ryzen's 4-cores/module architecture.

A few hours ago a Finnish tech news site io-tech.fi published an article claiming that there is no technical limitation for 6-core Ryzen processors to exist.

Translated from Finnish (by me):

io-tech.fi has confirmed from its own sources that for a 100% certainty the rumour in question is not correct.

EDIT: "The rumour in question" being that the CXX (CPU complex) in Zen architecture would limit the possible core configurations to 4 and 8. I wan't to be clear on that they did not confirm 6-core sku's existance either.

From the English summary in the article:

It is possible to disable each CPU core separately, together with the dedicated L2 cache, from CCX without affecting shared L3 cache. Possible L3 cache configurations are 1/1 (8 MB), 1/2 (4 MB) or completely disabled. Basic rule is that both CCXs should have similar CPU core and L3 configuration. For example both should have 3 cores and full 8 MB L3 cache enabled (6C & 16 MB L3).

So it seems pretty certain that at least technically there's no reason to make 6-core chips. (By disabling cores from defectice 8-core chips that is.)

I'm excited, since before it looked like there would be just a big gap between the price points of 4-cores and 8-cores.

Source: io-tech.fi

(The article is in Finnish but there's an English summary at the end.)

I thought it was almost always gonna be able to do it, just the same as other CPU/GPU binning, where they disable some parts of the silicon.. that way they are still making money from a process that they had to spend money on and haven't got to throw stuff away. But that's my laymens knowledge of binning so to speak.

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

The fact that it's technically possible is a surprise to no one who knows where most of the SKUs for x86 processors, and some GPU SKUs come from.

I mean:

Celerons and Pentiums are now just made by cutting back defective i3's.

i5's are made by cutting back defective quadcore i7's.

The lower core count i7 Extreme Editions are just defective higher core count i7 Extreme Editions.

The Phenom x3 lineup was made of both defective Phenom x4's and fully functional Phenom x4's (just to meet demand).

The RX470's GPU is made from the defective GPU that would have been the RX480.

The locked SKU i7, i5, and i3's are binned and don't clock well past their clock speeds, at least as far as Intel QC is concerned.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

5 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

The fact that it's technically possible is a surprise to no one who knows where most of the SKUs for x86 processors, and some GPU SKUs come from.

I mean:

Celerons and Pentiums are now just made by cutting back defective i3's.

i5's are made by cutting back defective quadcore i7's.

The lower core count i7 Extreme Editions are just defective higher core count i7 Extreme Editions.

The Phenom x3 lineup was made of both defective Phenom x4's and fully functional Phenom x4's (just to meet demand).

The RX470's GPU is made from the defective GPU that would have been the RX480.

The locked SKU i7, i5, and i3's are binned and don't clock well past their clock speeds, at least as far as Intel QC is concerned.

thats Intels and Radeons binning, AMD have worked with CPU cores beeing in pairs for the FX series and im pretty sure you could not disable just one core and you had to do a multiple of two. the leak this was based on was that Ryzen works in 4 core modules which now, has been debunked of this Finish site is to belive. 

well this would make me get a Ryzen chip, the hexa core was the interesting one too me always, if i decide to get myself an R9 Fury too and il be team red lol

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

thats Intels and Radeons binning, AMD have worked with CPU cores beeing in pairs for the FX series and im pretty sure you could not disable just one core and you had to do a multiple of two. the leak this was based on was that Ryzen works in 4 core modules which now, has been debunked of this Finish site is to belive. 

well this would make me get a Ryzen chip, the hexa core was the interesting one too me always, if i decide to get myself an R9 Fury too and il be team red lol

That's just binning, period.

While Bulldozer based CPUs could not have a single core easily disabled to do the module design (which calling Bulldozer's CMT design and Ryzen's 4c packaging design the same thing is stupid, they're engineered differently), that was due to the fact that some resources that don't constitute a component of a core were shared. On Ryzen, it's a SMT design, with the 4 core packages being very similar to Intel's HTT Quad cores.

AMD's entire idea is literally making Haswell/ Broadwell i7 equivalents that support scaling to 2 chips, on a single piece of PCB, for the consumer side.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

40 minutes ago, goodtofufriday said:

7 core processors also technically possible 

According to the source not. It says that both CCX's would need to have same amount of cores and L3 cache. (So the  other module having 4 cores and the other 3 would not work.)

40 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

That's just binning, period.

While Bulldozer based CPUs could not have a single core easily disabled to do the module design (which calling Bulldozer's CMT design and Ryzen's 4c packaging design the same thing is stupid, they're engineered differently), that was due to the fact that some resources that don't constitute a component of a core were shared. On Ryzen, it's a SMT design, with the 4 core packages being very similar to Intel's HTT Quad cores.

AMD's entire idea is literally making Haswell/ Broadwell i7 equivalents that support scaling to 2 chips, on a single piece of PCB, for the consumer side.

I don't know what limitations Intel has when disabling cores but on Ryzen you need to have the same amount of cores on both CCX's. So it's not all that simple and I fully understand that many people believed the earlier rumour.

2 minutes ago, RezChi said:

Canard PC also claims that there is a 6C/12T no 8C/8T

Makes sense since all the Intel processors are also hyperthreaded from 6 cores and up.

5 minutes ago, Levis95l said:

I don't know what limitations Intel has when disabling cores but on Ryzen you need to have the same amount of cores on both CCX's. So it's not all that simple and I fully understand that many people believed the earlier rumour.

11 minutes ago, Levis95l said:

According to the source not. It says that both CCX's would need to have same amount of cores and L3 cache. (So the  other module having 4 cores and the other 3 would not work.)

That isn't verified by AMD, it's just another {meaningless} speculation. We also don't know how the firmware/microcode works the RyZen architecture, for all we know, it's possible to have only 1 core on the first module and 3 on the other, and have a working CPU.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

55 minutes ago, Levis95l said:

Intel disabling cores on Ryzen? Dear oh dear.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Well yeah, why not. Zen is 4C block, yields are probably very good so.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

I would be confident that they can make dual core skus of Ryzen though, for those low power machines. Yes it's speculation again but perhaps have 3 blocks, disable half for every block to get 6 cores in total. 3 blocks = 12 cores, disable half of the blocks.

9 hours ago, Drak3 said:

That isn't verified by AMD, it's just another {meaningless} speculation. We also don't know how the firmware/microcode works the RyZen architecture, for all we know, it's possible to have only 1 core on the first module and 3 on the other, and have a working CPU.

Of course this is a rumour (not verified by AMD as you said). But it's more than just a speculation as well, since the writer claims it to be 100% certain information.

Then it's just a matter if you trust the news site. This io-tech.fi has very good reputation in staying on the facts and being never missleading. So that is why I personally believe everything in this rumour, even though we don't know their source at all.

Anyway, I think you can take this ruomour with a grain of salt instead of a pile of salt, unlike most of them.

AMD did it before, so did Intel... How can people even think it cant be done no more...

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

I'm very interested to see the prices. Would really like to replace my 4770K with a 6 core Ryzen. Assuming all the benchmarks so far have been accurate that is..

1 hour ago, -BirdiE- said:

I'm very interested to see the prices. Would really like to replace my 4770K with a 6 core Ryzen. Assuming all the benchmarks so far have been accurate that is..

Im in the same boat. 

Id like to see it compared to the 7700k 

23 hours ago, Levis95l said:

23 hours ago, Levis95l said:

13 hours ago, Levis95l said:

Of course this is a rumour (not verified by AMD as you said). But it's more than just a speculation as well, since the writer claims it to be 100% certain information.

Then it's just a matter if you trust the news site. This io-tech.fi has very good reputation in staying on the facts and being never missleading. So that is why I personally believe everything in this rumour, even though we don't know their source at all.

Anyway, I think you can take this ruomour with a grain of salt instead of a pile of salt, unlike most of them.

First off, it's entirely possible that a translation error could make you still correct, BUT, please keep in mind that the Finnish site kept saying "SHOULD", not "has to be". Take a look:

Basic rule is that both CCXs should have similar CPU core and L3 configuration. For example both should have 3 cores and full 8 MB L3 cache enabled (6C & 16 MB L3).

Should does not mean has to have. This could mean that other configurations are possible, but undesirable due to a performance or efficiency hit. This statement does not clearly state that 7-core CPU's are impossible.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

8 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

First off, it's entirely possible that a translation error could make you still correct, BUT, please keep in mind that the Finnish site kept saying "SHOULD", not "has to be". Take a look:

Should does not mean has to have. This could mean that other configurations are possible, but undesirable due to a performance or efficiency hit. This statement does not clearly state that 7-core CPU's are impossible.

Great point! The Finnish version says:

When configuring the cores the basic rule is, that the same amount of cores and L3 cache is in use in both CPU complexes.

So there is no "should", but what is that "basic rule" thing about? Is there an exception to that rule? I had completely missed that wording even though it's both Finnish and English versions. Thanks for pointing it out!

6 hours ago, Levis95l said:

Great point! The Finnish version says:

So there is no "should", but what is that "basic rule" thing about? Is there an exception to that rule? I had completely missed that wording even though it's both Finnish and English versions. Thanks for pointing it out!

No worries. Indeed, even the original Finnish translated into English is a bit... vague.

As you say, "basic rule" could mean lots of things.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)