Gaming Laptop Guide - UPDATED RTX Edition!

Galm
10 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

Finally got a response from them, and it looks ... expensive. 35 pounds for shipping + 69 for the screen as they can't ship the screen to me so I have to ship the whole thing to them.

Also, one of my keys decided to spring out again after breaking its clips and they don't have replacement keys just the entire thing. There has to be some replacement keys somewhere, right? Cannot afford to keep replacing the entire thing as this issue happens way more often than it should ...

Is it the RGB keyboard or the white one?  Strange.

As for the screen that's a normal price.

X99 build!  Asus X99-A | i7 5820k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB RAM | Gigbyte G1 980 Ti sli | 250 + 500GB 850 Evo + 1TB MX300| 1TB WD Blue | Corsair 450D
Clevo P650RS i7 6820hk | GTX 1070 | 16GB RAM | 4K PLS Display | 1TB Sandisk Ultra II
Dell Latitude E6430 i7 3720qm | 6GB RAM | Nvidia Quadro NVS 5200m | 128gb ssd + 320GB hdd
Speakers JBL LSR 4328ps
Headphone Set Up Sennheiser HD800 | Sennheiser ie800 | Chord Mojo

12 hours ago, Galm said:

Is it the RGB keyboard or the white one?  Strange.

As for the screen that's a normal price.

RGB. Always seem wonky when it came to some keys, the clips on the keycaps are super fragile.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

8 hours ago, Castdeath97 said:

RGB. Always seem wonky when it came to some keys, the clips on the keycaps are super fragile.

Huh the RGB one was fine for years for me, I'm not aware of majors issues with them.

X99 build!  Asus X99-A | i7 5820k @ 4.5GHz | 16GB RAM | Gigbyte G1 980 Ti sli | 250 + 500GB 850 Evo + 1TB MX300| 1TB WD Blue | Corsair 450D
Clevo P650RS i7 6820hk | GTX 1070 | 16GB RAM | 4K PLS Display | 1TB Sandisk Ultra II
Dell Latitude E6430 i7 3720qm | 6GB RAM | Nvidia Quadro NVS 5200m | 128gb ssd + 320GB hdd
Speakers JBL LSR 4328ps

On 6/13/2019 at 11:38 PM, Galm said:

Huh the RGB one was fine for years for me, I'm not aware of majors issues with them.

Probably a combination of my poor typing habits and my frequent travelling. I guess I will bite the bullet for now and try to get my retailer to fix as many issues/upgrades to make it worthwhile since I can't find a display from somewhere I trust/cheaper.

Pascal laptops guide

• 3 weeks later...

So out of the laptops that have large batteries what is suggested? In addition does anyone have any long review or suggestions for something being used for work and gaming on a niche OS? I would be using this for work, and gaming since I now have to travel at least once a month. As of now the MSI gs65 has been catching my eye but not having ease of disassembly is kinda annoying for if I would want to upgrade storage later.

- VM

- GNS3

- linux

- gaming probably as high to something like DOOM 2016 or Quake Champions to emulation.

• 1 month later...

I am looking to get a ~$1500 laptop and I like the MSI GP65 with the default config. Previously I was considering the HP Omen 15t but the MSI offers a 2060 vs 1660 and 512GB NVMe SSD vs 1TB HDD. Are there any options that I might want to look at upgrading in the Xotic customizer? Also how does this line of laptops hold up over time if I use this for 4 or 6 years? Thanks.

https://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gp65-leopard-9se-225.html

6 hours ago, Phantom329 said:

I am looking to get a ~$1500 laptop and I like the MSI GP65 with the default config. Previously I was considering the HP Omen 15t but the MSI offers a 2060 vs 1660 and 512GB NVMe SSD vs 1TB HDD. Are there any options that I might want to look at upgrading in the Xotic customizer? Also how does this line of laptops hold up over time if I use this for 4 or 6 years? Thanks.

https://www.xoticpc.com/msi-gp65-leopard-9se-225.html

If you have a Microcenter they have the PowerSpec 1520.  Otherwise there's the Eluk Mech 15.  The GP65 could be decent but I don't know all that much about it.

Speakers JBL LSR 4328ps

• 2 weeks later...

Lenovo Y740 17’’ for 1599.99$ (Labor day) worth it?

• Processor: Intel Core i7-9750H (2.60GHz, up to 4.50GHz with Turbo Boost, 6 cores, 12MB Cache)
  • Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64
  • Display Type: 17.3" FHD (1920 x 1080) NVIDIA® G-SYNC, 144 Hz, 300 nits, software enabled Dolby Vision HDR
  • Memory: 16GB (8GB + 8GB) DDR4 2666MHz
  • Hard Drive: 1TB 7200 RPM + 512GB Solid State Drive PCIe
  • Warranty: 1 Year Depot or Carry-in
  • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX™ 2070 with Max-Q 8 GB
  • Camera: 720p HD camera with microphone
  • Keyboard: Backlit RGB Keyboard - US English
  • Wireless: Killer Wireless 802.11 AC (2 x 2) + Bluetooth 4.1

That price is pretty decent yeah.

Speakers JBL LSR 4328ps

• 1 month later...

Hi guys, 

I'm in doubt which 17" laptop to choose - MSI Ge75 9SF with rtx2070 (non max-q) but no G-Sync or Lenovo Legion Y740 with rtx2070 max-q and G-Sync display. Both are with i9750H processor.

It will be used mainly for playing intensive FPS games (Escape from Tarkov, CoD, etc.). MSI is about 200usd more expensive but I would pay that if performance would be better than Lenovo. 

Thanks! 

On 10/5/2019 at 5:41 PM, NavyBG said:

I'm in doubt which 17" laptop to choose

Where are you from? Budget?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

• 2 months later...

@Galm

So, I have noticed my P650HP6-G has its G-sync option missing after a screen replacement and a windows reinstall.

Is this screen installed by the retailer legit?

image.jpeg

Pascal laptops guide

On 1/4/2020 at 6:19 AM, Castdeath97 said:

@Galm

So, I have noticed my P650HP6-G has its G-sync option missing after a screen replacement and a windows reinstall.

Is this screen installed by the retailer legit?

image.jpeg

That looks like a Helios 300 display which is non GSync.  It's not a Helios only panel it's used by plenty of models, but it's not GSync afaik...

Speakers JBL LSR 4328ps

• 4 months later...

Hello! im new here/ to PC gaming and was wondering if yall could give me some guidance! I'm looking for a small, portable gaming laptop but I also want something with a touch screen. Most small touch screen laptops only have an Iris Plus or UHD graphics card. do I suffer and just get a small gaming laptop with no touch? or do i get a touch laptop that doesn't have a designated graphics card? how bad would the graphics reasonably be if i did that? can i still run intensive games?

9 hours ago, OvercookedMuffin said:

Hello! im new here/ to PC gaming and was wondering if yall could give me some guidance! I'm looking for a small, portable gaming laptop but I also want something with a touch screen. Most small touch screen laptops only have an Iris Plus or UHD graphics card. do I suffer and just get a small gaming laptop with no touch? or do i get a touch laptop that doesn't have a designated graphics card? how bad would the graphics reasonably be if i did that? can i still run intensive games?

There aren't many gaming laptops with touchscreens true.  Some of the only options I can think of are the Microsoft Surface Book and Razer Blade Studio.

Speakers JBL LSR 4328ps

@Galm been hearing a lot about the new AMD Ryzen Notebooks I have been hearing about.

Edit:

What do you think of them?

Edit edit: There is the new Super and 10th intel processors as well ... lots of stuff happened while I was away I guess.

Pascal laptops guide

On 5/23/2020 at 9:51 AM, Castdeath97 said:

@Galm been hearing a lot about the new AMD Ryzen Notebooks I have been hearing about.

Edit:

What do you think of them?

Edit edit: There is the new Super and 10th intel processors as well ... lots of stuff happened while I was away I guess.

Yeah the post isn't up to date anymore.

Intel 10th gen appear to be binned better than we expected.  AMD is still more powerful but the laptops so far specced with them have been pretty lame.  The Asus G14 has terrible power draw limits for example, the 2060 is limited to like 35W under heavy load or some such nonsense.  And there aren't many AMD laptops with above a 2060 yet either which is a shame because the battery life on the 7nm AMD cpus is awesome.

Speakers JBL LSR 4328ps

Any advice?

I'm looking for a powerful laptop with touchscreen. Not too bothered about appearance or refresh rate. Just needs graphics and cpu power with a touchscreen. 

I'm looking around £1600 ideally, but anything that fits the specs I'll take a look at. I haven't found anything.

• 2 months later...

Hi everyone!

So, I'm going to sound like the typical "just creating an account to ask a question on a potentially dead thread", but: is there any reason why there isn't any Acer laptop in the reccommendations in the first page? There are quite a few models with RTX GPUs now.

Are they bad in some way? Or is the first post just outdated?

I'll tell you the truth, I'm looking for "the cheapest RTX laptop that won't melt itself".

At first I was looking at both the Acer Nitro 5 and MSI GF65 at first, but forums are plagued with complains that point to a need to undervolt or otherwise touch configurations that sound like poor planning work on part of the manufacturers (I know they are cheap, I know it's a lot of power in a small package, but still, they should come "ready to use" from factory IMHO).

So, I decided to up my budget a bit more and soon enough I found that both MSI GP65 and Acer's Predator Helios 300 also now come with an RTX 2060 option, and I couldn't find any overheating complains on them, but still.. (although I did find some "randomly burned components" complains on the Predator)

So, as you can tell by now, I tend to pussyfoot around a lot before making big investments like this (it takes a while to amass this kind of cash around where I live) so I want to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot with my choice.

So far I'm torn between those two laptops, with the only pro's for MSI beign the 64GB RAM upper limit (future thinking I guess?) and the steel series keyboard (with per-key RGB which I don't really care about); while Acer's got the best "ethical brand" score, better connector placement

PS: I almost go with a Clevo, but I'm not finding anything in Amazon that's worth stepping out of the known-brand comfort zone (except for the Sager NP7858DW, which I can't find any info on thermals but is extremely tempting anyway)

Any input is much appreciated, I haven't bought any hardware in years so I may be missing something obvious and be sounding like an idiot.

On 8/11/2020 at 6:55 PM, ZippoLag said:

Hi everyone!

So, I'm going to sound like the typical "just creating an account to ask a question on a potentially dead thread", but: is there any reason why there isn't any Acer laptop in the reccommendations in the first page? There are quite a few models with RTX GPUs now.

Are they bad in some way? Or is the first post just outdated?

I'll tell you the truth, I'm looking for "the cheapest RTX laptop that won't melt itself".

At first I was looking at both the Acer Nitro 5 and MSI GF65 at first, but forums are plagued with complains that point to a need to undervolt or otherwise touch configurations that sound like poor planning work on part of the manufacturers (I know they are cheap, I know it's a lot of power in a small package, but still, they should come "ready to use" from factory IMHO).

So, I decided to up my budget a bit more and soon enough I found that both MSI GP65 and Acer's Predator Helios 300 also now come with an RTX 2060 option, and I couldn't find any overheating complains on them, but still.. (although I did find some "randomly burned components" complains on the Predator)

So, as you can tell by now, I tend to pussyfoot around a lot before making big investments like this (it takes a while to amass this kind of cash around where I live) so I want to make sure I'm not shooting myself in the foot with my choice.

So far I'm torn between those two laptops, with the only pro's for MSI beign the 64GB RAM upper limit (future thinking I guess?) and the steel series keyboard (with per-key RGB which I don't really care about); while Acer's got the best "ethical brand" score, better connector placement

PS: I almost go with a Clevo, but I'm not finding anything in Amazon that's worth stepping out of the known-brand comfort zone (except for the Sager NP7858DW, which I can't find any info on thermals but is extremely tempting anyway)

Any input is much appreciated, I haven't bought any hardware in years so I may be missing something obvious and be sounding like an idiot.

The Nitro 5 and Helios 300 are both good.  The guide is a bit out of date.

Speakers JBL LSR 4328ps

• 1 month later...

@Galm are you planning on updating the guide soon?

Hey man, you be you and I'll be me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8 hours ago, Mister_G said:

@Galm are you planning on updating the guide soon?

Not at the moment.  It's been pretty hard trying to get accurate results of machines during quarantine.  And most of my time is being taken up elsewhere unfortunately.

Speakers JBL LSR 4328ps

• 3 months later...

Could you add the Dell G7 7790 RTX 2070 Max-Q to the list of Max-Q RTX Thin Laptops? It bolts great performance for a good price. It goes on sale on Black Friday on Ebay each year for about $1400 USD.

11 hours ago, toemass said:

Could you add the Dell G7 7790 RTX 2070 Max-Q to the list of Max-Q RTX Thin Laptops? It bolts great performance for a good price. It goes on sale on Black Friday on Ebay each year for about $1400 USD.

How are the CPU temperatures though? Not that I’m expecting much because the i7 9750H is a hot mess.

Pascal laptops guide

• 1 month later...

Hi everyone !

I plan to buy a new gaming laptop and I would like to know if some of you have any recommandation ?

I don't really know the accurate price range conversion between Euro and USD but I think around 1,000 and 1,500 $

I actually have a Msi Leopard gp62 mvr 7rf that I upgraded with 8 GB of ram and a 2"5 1 To SSD so I would like to get a new laptop with a free 2"5 enclosure to keep my SSD if possible

Thanks a lot for those who will take the time to answer me !