Looking into a new monitor

Whiskers
Go to solution Solved by Emperor_Piehead,

you would want a 6-bit or 8-bit panel. 10-bit is only supported by workstation cards. Look for the asus PB238Q or the Dell P2414H (new version of the dell U2312HM)

Srgb coverage isn't a spot where i'm exactly knowledgeable, but 80% is decent.

Hey guys!

So as the title says, I'm looking for a new monitor. I've had a look around, but found myself getting lost in a complex world of varying opinions and recommendations. I'm not really knowledgeable on monitors and displays in general, so I apologise if any of my questions appear naive.

I'm looking for a high-quality IPS monitor which is at least 23" in size and has a resolution of at least 1920x1080. I'm not particularly concerned with refresh rate as 60 will be acceptable, and I'm not bothered about response times too much. The big requirements I have are:

- Up to £250 cost

- IPS

- 23" or larger

- 1080p or higher

- Good colours

- Good upscaling

The reason for the last one is that I absolutely cannot stand watching anything less than 1080p video on any monitors I've experienced as I find anything less looks really bad on them. In comparison, the 46" Samsung LCD TV my parents own does a decent job at upscaling such content to the point that I can enjoy watching even standard definition video. I don't particularly care about whether it is a glossy or matte screen, as the environment I will be using it in will not be brightly illuminated.

I also am hoping that whichever monitor I get will practically eradicate 'banding'. I see it constantly on a lot of screens I use (College computers, both of my monitors at home etc) and it's something that I absolutely hate to see. It's especially irritating when I am creating something in Photoshop, as it makes it difficult to tell if it's my monitor or the image itself that looks bad.

I've seen that different monitors have a different percentage of colour gamuts that they support, such as "80% of sRGB" etc - does this really impact on the viewing experience? Also I've seen that there are '6-bit colour' and '10-bit-colour' panels, would monitors with a 10-bit colour panel look noticeably better?

Thanks. :D

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

you would want a 6-bit or 8-bit panel. 10-bit is only supported by workstation cards. Look for the asus PB238Q or the Dell P2414H (new version of the dell U2312HM)

Asus VN248H

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

I ended up going with the Dell P2414H. Thanks for the recommendation man, it's an awesome monitor. :)

Unfortunately I'm having an issue with the backlight bleeding in places, so I'm going to be contacting the supplier to see if I can RMA it. It's not super noticeable all the time, but is quite distracting when viewing darker images. Was pretty disappointing to see it within seconds of turning it on for the first time, really. :(

"Be excellent to each other" - Bill and Ted
Community Standards | Guides & Tutorials | Members of Staff

I ended up going with the Dell P2414H. Thanks for the recommendation man, it's an awesome monitor. :)

Unfortunately I'm having an issue with the backlight bleeding in places, so I'm going to be contacting the supplier to see if I can RMA it. It's not super noticeable all the time, but is quite distracting when viewing darker images. Was pretty disappointing to see it within seconds of turning it on for the first time, really. :(

Backlight bleed can be a problem on IPS monitors. Dell has a great warranty/rma service in the US, but i'm not sure how good it is over seas.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys!

So as the title says, I'm looking for a new monitor. I've had a look around, but found myself getting lost in a complex world of varying opinions and recommendations. I'm not really knowledgeable on monitors and displays in general, so I apologise if any of my questions appear naive.

I'm looking for a high-quality IPS monitor which is at least 23" in size and has a resolution of at least 1920x1080. I'm not particularly concerned with refresh rate as 60 will be acceptable, and I'm not bothered about response times too much. The big requirements I have are:

- Up to £250 cost

- IPS

- 23" or larger

- 1080p or higher

- Good colours

- Good upscaling

The reason for the last one is that I absolutely cannot stand watching anything less than 1080p video on any monitors I've experienced as I find anything less looks really bad on them. In comparison, the 46" Samsung LCD TV my parents own does a decent job at upscaling such content to the point that I can enjoy watching even standard definition video. I don't particularly care about whether it is a glossy or matte screen, as the environment I will be using it in will not be brightly illuminated.

I also am hoping that whichever monitor I get will practically eradicate 'banding'. I see it constantly on a lot of screens I use (College computers, both of my monitors at home etc) and it's something that I absolutely hate to see. It's especially irritating when I am creating something in Photoshop, as it makes it difficult to tell if it's my monitor or the image itself that looks bad.

I've seen that different monitors have a different percentage of colour gamuts that they support, such as "80% of sRGB" etc - does this really impact on the viewing experience? Also I've seen that there are '6-bit colour' and '10-bit-colour' panels, would monitors with a 10-bit colour panel look noticeably better?

Thanks. :D

I find this thread offensive and if you don't quit it I'll report you

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

:( :( :(

emsrsbro

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299