AMD confirms Ryzen launch in early March, Vega launch Q2 2017

2 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

I get that but we already knew windows was corrupted any way from the logs we got off the server not like microsoft was gonna magically assist us in any form or fashion.

True but if something goes wrong or someone complains about something after it's been fixed you can say "Microsoft told us to do it", that is very hard to counter compared to "We thought it was the best plan of action".

5 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

I think it's my age man... when I was 17 and look for a job in pc repair I was basically told no one will hire me unless I was at least 25 fast forward 6 years and well I got hired 6 months ago but feels like I don't get taken seriously.

I basically just do certain jobs and avoid doing stuff I know I can do but because on paper it says I'm not qualified to know this stuff so I'm tight lipped on that.

Fell your pain, other than the first bit that is just wrong. No one should ever say that. I look very young for my age, I am also young for the job position I'm in but that is good, so have similar problems when I first meet people in the industry. I would say don't not saying anything, always express your opinion and knowledge else it won't get recognized. You don't have to do the task but just demonstrating you have the knowledge is enough, this will get noticed and you will be given chances to do more.

Experience means much more than certifications and fancy pieces of paper. I'm only 29 and work for one of the largest universities in my country, largest by network size and type, as a Systems Engineer. I'm also recognized as a key member of the team and involved with significant infrastructure planning, projects and incidents. I have exactly zero Microsoft or VMware certifications etc, only a degree and very old CCNA training not even the certification. Would never have gotten here if I didn't speak up. 

7 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

I feel like this is still too little too late.

Most people that were waiting for high-end Vega have already invested in high-end nVidia GPUs, because AMD waited more than a whole year from confirmed rumors to actual product. Nothing wrong with taking time to make a good product, but nVidia is already getting closer to releasing their new line of GPUs. 

Most people that were waiting on Zen in 2015 have already invested in Skylake machines, because AMD waited more than a whole year from confirmed rumors to actual product. Nothing wrong with taking time to make a good product, but Intel is already getting closer to releasing their new CPU architecture.

I think you guys get it. The emotional side of me hopes that these products are great and sell well, but the realistic side of me says it won't do too great.

I'll still be upgrading to a Vega card if they're great, though. ;) (I don't have money to upgrade now anyways.)

There are still a lot of people who haven't upgraded. I and many others are on older chipsets and CPUs without any real pressing need to upgrade even now, my 4930K runs just fine. Where I do need to upgrade rather soon is my dual 290X's as the 4GB VRAM is getting exceeded at my native monitor res of 2560x1600. I'll be waiting for Vega and then compare my best options from AMD and Nvidia.

Intel will still have the best CPU pure performance option but I don't throw cash at the top products just because I can. There was no point getting the 4960X over the 4930K so I didn't. AMD doesn't have to have the highest performing CPU just a top end competitive one, price doesn't mean much in this segment. People say it does but honestly it doesn't, no one willingly buys truly inferior products because it's cheaper. Current AMD CPUs are proof of this.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

There are still a lot of people who haven't upgraded. I and many others are on older chipsets and CPUs without any real pressing need to upgrade even now, my 4930K runs just fine. Where I do need to upgrade rather soon is my dual 290X's as the 4GB VRAM is getting exceeded at my native monitor res of 2560x1600. I'll be waiting for Vega and then compare my best options from AMD and Nvidia.

Intel will still have the best CPU pure performance option but I don't throw cash at the top products just because I can. There was no point getting the 4960X over the 4930K so I didn't. AMD doesn't have to have the highest performing CPU just a top end competitive one, price doesn't mean much in this segment. People say it does but honestly it doesn't, no one willingly buys truly inferior products because it's cheaper. Current AMD CPUs are proof of this.

Agreed. I have an FX 6350. Why? Because I game on a 60hz monitor because I have a family to support. I could spend more money on something better from Intel, but the chips are expensive, arena the boards even more expensive, especially compared to AMD variants. I looked forward to Zen, and still do. I will hopefully upgrade sometime in the next 3 to 6 months. I want to see what their prices are.

But they don't have to have the best chip on the market. They need a competitive option with price to match. If yhe can move large volumes, they will be set. Oh, my i7700k gets 140 FPS, and your Zen only gets 120.... who cares at that moment, especially if Zen costs half the price?

Just throwing out numbers. Look forward to pricing on boards and chips.

I'm gonna wait until 7nm/10nm before I buy my next computer. My Xeon and gtx 970 should be good enough until then.

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

1 hour ago, leadeater said:

I'll be waiting for Vega and then compare my best options from AMD and Nvidia.

Don't go the way of 1 NVidia and 1 AMD GPU if you find yourself wanting both and being able to afford it, unless you're comfortable troubleshooting issues that next to no one else will have or don't find the issues to be major.

As it stands, the initial introduction of my 1070 caused a few issues that weren't present without it:

In Edge, clicks no longer always register. I have to double click more than I should, or the mouse will stick and I will drag a tab into a new window.

AMD driver updates do not install without running AMD's total driver remover first.

Under the most recent drivers, some webpages displayed through the AMD (Polaris) card will temporarily become partially corrupted. It kind of looks like the rifts in the environment in Digimon. It mostly happens with Facebook, never with YouTube or Tumblr, and once with LTT.

Then there's the fact that there is no way currently to set GPU affinity in a similar manner to CPU affinity. Makes taking advantage of one vendor's features/strong points in games optimized for said vendor a pain in the ass.

Obviously, I don't mind it, otherwise I would have removed the RX470 and slapped it into my EmuBox build.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Sometimes I build machines for specific use cases, sometimes I create use cases for specific machines.

But for me, PC building is more than a hobby, it's a passion and combining my love of working with my hands and technology.

I completely understand. If Ryzen performs as well as my 6900K at a decent price then I may pick one or two up.

1 minute ago, DrMikeNZ said:

I completely understand. If Ryzen performs as well as my 6900K at a decent price then I may pick one or two up.

For me, how Ryzen performs is irrelevant to me building with it. It's only relevant to what I actually do with the builds.

If they turn out to be piss poor, then I have a low end Linux workstation and a decent NAS.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

45 minutes ago, Ryujin2003 said:

Agreed. I have an FX 6350. Why? Because I game on a 60hz monitor because I have a family to support. I could spend more money on something better from Intel, but the chips are expensive, arena the boards even more expensive, especially compared to AMD variants. I looked forward to Zen, and still do. I will hopefully upgrade sometime in the next 3 to 6 months. I want to see what their prices are.

But they don't have to have the best chip on the market. They need a competitive option with price to match. If yhe can move large volumes, they will be set. Oh, my i7700k gets 140 FPS, and your Zen only gets 120.... who cares at that moment, especially if Zen costs half the price?

Just throwing out numbers. Look forward to pricing on boards and chips.

When an i3 which can be used on any motherboard (read-dirt cheap motherboard) beats an FX 8370 in the majority of tasks.....even in Australia (which for over 2 months straight had a Sapphire Nitro RX 4804GB priced the same as the cheapest RX 470 4GB-which was also a Sapphire Nitro)

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

25 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Don't go the way of 1 NVidia and 1 AMD GPU if you find yourself wanting both and being able to afford it, unless you're comfortable troubleshooting issues that next to no one else will have or don't find the issues to be major.

Yea was never planning to mix :P.

25 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Then there's the fact that there is no way currently to set GPU affinity in a similar manner to CPU affinity. Makes taking advantage of one vendor's features/strong points in games optimized for said vendor a pain in the ass.

My R4BE sorta has a solution to that, ish. I can disable PCIe slots with the dip switches on the board, not exactly that useful and requires a power down but hey you don't have to remove the GPU and if you use hard line water cooling like I do it's a massive plus.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

My R4BE sorta has a solution to that, ish. I can disable PCIe slots with the dip switches on the board, not exactly that useful and requires a power down but hey you don't have to remove the GPU and if you use hard line water cooling like I do it's a massive plus.

If I were to do hardline, I'd use soft tuning exclusively for the runs to the blocks just for that reason, and quick disconnects. But technically, I would uninstall the GPUs in Device Manager.

3 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Yea was never planning to mix :P.

It takes a special kind of love and devotion to be happy with that setup. Thankfully, I actually kind of like having these small issues on this desktop. It gives it personality, more than what my ex had.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Fierce Bloody Angel

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

Pyo.

3 hours ago, Wolther said:

"AMD is also developing with 7-nm technology in mind" I wonder if that's in the terms of the way Intel labels their size, or another way size is measured 

Globalfoundries 7nm. Standard node value of 8.2nm

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

3 hours ago, wcreek said:

-snip-

I'm not expecting anything spectacular from AMD until Navi. Zen is much MUCH more important for AMD, there's loads of money of CPUs. More money means more R&D, which means better GPUs.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

7 hours ago, Wolther said:

"AMD is also developing with 7-nm technology in mind" I wonder if that's in the terms of the way Intel labels their size, or another way size is measured 

well if its ACTUAL lead to lead distance or entire package lengh , as modern transistors tempt to have 3 legs ,

they have 7nm between each leg but 14 in total , correct label would be 7nm for that but some label it as 14nm

(inaccurate paint visualization below , transistors don't look like that anymore , and not to scale™)

thing.png

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

23 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Just come out with an STX board, and have a 4C/8T SKU at £200... Then I'd be happy. 

id love an 4c/8t raven ridge w/ rx460 performance on the gpu front , just a tiny STX pc w/ enough oomph to kill consoles

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

40 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

id love an 4c/8t raven ridge w/ rx460 performance on the gpu front , just a tiny STX pc w/ enough oomph to kill consoles

Zen-based APUs supposedly come with a Vega core. That'd be a hell of a lot more powerful than an RX460.

Anyway, count me excited. Not for Vega, that's out of my price range (unless Vega replaces Polaris entirely at the lower range). 

Ye ole' train

4 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

That'd be a hell of a lot more powerful than an RX460

well we are talking a small die next to a cpu die under the IHS , its a lot less real estate than a standalone gpu chip , also power is a factor , if the entire thing is 95w , cpu will be 60ish and gpu will have 35 left , not a lot to use there

PSU Tier list

7 hours ago, leadeater said:

True but if something goes wrong or someone complains about something after it's been fixed you can say "Microsoft told us to do it", that is very hard to counter compared to "We thought it was the best plan of action".

Fell your pain, other than the first bit that is just wrong. No one should ever say that. I look very young for my age, I am also young for the job position I'm in but that is good, so have similar problems when I first meet people in the industry. I would say don't not saying anything, always express your opinion and knowledge else it won't get recognized. You don't have to do the task but just demonstrating you have the knowledge is enough, this will get noticed and you will be given chances to do more.

Experience means much more than certifications and fancy pieces of paper. I'm only 29 and work for one of the largest universities in my country, largest by network size and type, as a Systems Engineer. I'm also recognized as a key member of the team and involved with significant infrastructure planning, projects and incidents. I have exactly zero Microsoft or VMware certifications etc, only a degree and very old CCNA training not even the certification. Would never have gotten here if I didn't speak up. 

Yup just here for the exp til I find a better place and I basically hold back because my boss doesn't know how to treat him employees well so I won't be doing anything that makes him think I stand out from the other techs in any other way though my manager is a bit more aware that I'm holding back and keeps putting to do stuff he's working on >.>

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

9 hours ago, Wolther said:

Inb4 AMD milks Zen and just die shrinks for the next few "generations" :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

2 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Inb4 AMD milks Zen and just die shrinks for the next few "generations" :P 

hopefully not.

knock on wood !

6 hours ago, Citadelen said:

I'm not expecting anything spectacular from AMD until Navi. Zen is much MUCH more important for AMD, there's loads of money of CPUs. More money means more R&D, which means better GPUs.

Yeah I know, I think Vega will get AMD in line with Nvidia and depending on how soon they were planning on doing Navi, perhaps early 2018. Then they'll be beating Nvidia, though Volta is due around that time as well so it's hard to say how much of a performance jump that will be and where Navi will be sitting in regards to Volta. Where I expect Navi to sit in terms of Pascal would be a least better than Pascal, but depending on what leaps Nvidia can make between Pascal and Volta and what leap AMD is making between Vega and Navi may determine who actually has the better performing card. I hope Navi does keep AMD close or slightly better than Nvidia.

Though from my perspective, I'm interested in Vega most because I'm curious to see how much all the card(s) will cost and how much their 1070 and 1080 equivalents will cost.

I'm not expecting Vega to be better than Pascal but to see it be close to margins of error would be quite nice.

Yes, Ryzen/Zen are incredibly important for AMD too but I got a Z170 board so my interest in Ryzen is kinda lessened by that fact.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

13 hours ago, Wolther said:

Typically transistor sizes, though transistor structure can vary.