DIY Couch Gaming Platform

Buy Couch Gaming Platform on Amazon: http://geni.us/HSQf

If you're going to spend a bunch of money on a couch gaming platform, why not make it customized just for you?

Couchwood Instructions

1. Measure and cut a piece of plywood 54” by 16” (4’6” x 1’4”)

2. Mark 18” from either end on both 54” sides, and draw a line 2” deep towards the center of the piece

3. Connect the terminal points of both lines (should measure 18”)

4. Using a circular saw or jig saw and wood guides, cut out the marked section.

5. Cut two pieces of 18” x 16”plywood

6. Cut a piece of 2x4 into four 18” lengths and two 16” lengths

7. Use a table saw to put a 45° slant on one end of the 18” lengths and both ends of the 16” lengths

8. Use wood glue to attach two 18” 2x4 pieces and one 16” piece in a U shape on each of the 16”x18” pieces of plywood

9. After the wood glue has set slightly, turn each piece over and use wood screws to anchor the 2x4s into place

10. Turn each box back over and place the large H shaped piece overtop them so that the large squares on either end rest over the boxes you have just assembled

11. Use wood glue and screws to anchor the surface to the boxes

12. Cut a piece of 1x3 into five 4” sections and one ½” section

13. Use a table saw to cut one end of four of the 4” sections to 45°, keep the cut off pieces

14. Cut one end of the remaining 4” section to 15°

15. Place the keyboard you are using for the gaming station in the location on the surface most convenient for you

16. Use the four 4” sections with 45° cuts to create corner brackets for the upper left and upper right portions of your keyboard and attach with wood glue

17. Place the remaining 4” section with the slanted end facing directly down in the area where you would like to have a phone dock and attach with wood glue

18. Place the ½” section slightly ahead of the slanted piece of wood to keep your phone from sliding forward and attach with wood glue

19. Use wood glue to attach the cut off pieces from step 13 in a ring standing upright where you would like to have a beverage holder

20. Allow some time for the glue to set, then use a drill to cut holes for cords at the keyboard station, phone dock, and on the side of the box where you will place your mousepad

21. Use wood stain or paint to decorate as desired

22. Place the mouse pad on one of the large squares and use 1” wood screws and washers in each corner to lock in place

23. Place your keyboard in the brackets, then apply hot glue to the underside of a wrist rest and press it into place

24. Place your phone in the dock and attach a charging cable to it. Glue the charging cable to the underside of the surface

25. Use hot glue to attach a USB hub to the underside of the surface, far enough forward to allow a knee rest to be attached afterwards

26. Plug the keyboard, mouse, and charging cable into the USB hub, then tuck extraneous cables into the boxes on either side of the platform

27. Use hot glue to attach an 18” half cylindrical foam roller to the middle of the underside of the bridge between the two boxes. Hold it in place while glue sets.

28. Use a 10’ USB cable to attach the gaming platform to your system of choice.

29. Game!

skaqx58.jpg

Cool vid. 

first again lel

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

That thumbnail is so... normal!  What's going on!? *runs around confused and screams* 

:P 

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

Crap Nick fix format for Night Theme users. If you don't know we can help you

Meh, cool idea, but far too large and impractical. You basically build a lap... desk. I'd say cut off 6 inches on both sides and it be a bit more... reasonable. No need to have the large left side to balance the right, just attach something heavy to a smaller lever. 

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

Meh, cool idea, but far too large and impractical. You basically build a lap... desk. I'd say cut off 6 inches on both sides and it be a bit more... reasonable. No need to have the large left side to balance the right, just attach something heavy to a smaller lever. 

That's the whole point of this video, though. If that's what you think is best then that's exactly how you can make yours :D the true beauty of a DIY project is the flexibility and freedom you can employ when executing it for yourself :)

1 minute ago, nicklmg said:

That's the whole point of this video, though. If that's what you think is best then that's exactly how you can make yours :D the true beauty of a DIY project is the flexibility and freedom you can employ when executing it for yourself :)

Very true. Well said.

I'f I was gonna build something that big I was just build a "roll around" desk that overhung so I could sit down and slide the desk around me on the couch, that way it's not actually sitting directly on you and you can elevate it just a bit more to a more comfortable height.

7 minutes ago, idmb said:

Why not just spend less money and get a laptop cart.

What's the fun in that?

27 minutes ago, idmb said:

Why not just spend less money and get a laptop cart.

Some of us prefer Lego bricks, IKEA, and do-it-yourself projects.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

why not go all out and build a couch with a retractable gaming desk? THAT would be epic

LTT Team/Forum,

In one of your previous videos (I believe it was the office tour video) you showed an adjustable table that you use for shooting videos, raising and lowing it to suit.  I immediately paused the video and checked around for the product, whose name escapes me now.  But I was looking for a variant - a cross-breed, as it were - of your couch gaming platform here and the aforementioned adjustable table that caused me to pause the video of your office tour.  It seems that having a table that adjusts as such would be the solution for couch gaming in general, as long as the table was wide enough/adjustable as well, and the legs could fit under ones couch.  Secondly, it could be used as an end table when not being utilized for gaming.  

Is there no such product?

P.S.  Laptop carts are ugly and made for standing at/too tall.

Edited by nct2176

wait a minute, somethings wrong here,  where's the crappy clickbait thumbnail?  WHO ARE YOU & WHAT'VE YOU DONE WITH THE REAL LINUS???

Details separate people.

honestly, my main issue with couch gaming is needing to get up and move around my bulky setup without tripping or spilling stuff. What about a hinge on the center portion and a locking mechanism to hold them together when it's closed?

here is a rough sketch of what I was talking about earlier, it uses a 2'x4' top panel (which can be easily purchased from any hardware store like Lowes or Home Depot) the rest is built from 2x4's, for my couch the top would be 26" above the floor the height would be adjusted from what i've drawn to allow casters to be installed on the bottom so it can be rolled around.

concept desk view 1.jpg

concept desk view 2.jpg

As someone that has been a couch gamer for nearly 20 years, neat but ungainly. Get a good hard mousing surface like a Corsair MM600, and a good wireless KB and mouse. I personally have a keyboard from the MK710 Logitech combo(mouse is in the bedroom PC/TV setup), and mousing is handled by a G602. Both work flawlessly. I have a reclining couch, so I sit on the left reclining seat, wifey on the right one, space in the middle for bag-o-doritos//mouse/controllers/tv-audio. 

And please, don't give me the wireless is junk rhetoric, it is simply not true anymore if you get good hardware. My keyboard is going on the 2 year mark with the original batteries(indicator still reads full), mouse once every ~3 months(eneloops). 

Not to hijack (actually, that is exactly what I intend to do :P).  If only because.. this could be a bit more.. elegant looking. :P haha

Follow Linus' steps loosely, and aim for making it look more like this.
http://imgur.com/a/zTsV9

I'm pretty sure I even used the same USB 3 hub Linus did. 

Part of me really enjoys the arguing with the script-writing during the video.

And, while big, it's a pretty solid idea.  Given natural arm length variations and keyboard/mouse distance preferences, a custom solution really is the way to go for most gamers.  Maybe a little more long-term planning from the LTT crew would be great, but, well, there's a certain charm in their speedy approach.

16 minutes ago, Hitokiri_Ace said:

Not to hijack (actually, that is exactly what I intend to do :P).  If only because.. this could be a bit more.. elegant looking. :P haha

Having it not resting on my lap in any way, and even having a decent amount of space to move legs would be a must for me

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

18 minutes ago, Hitokiri_Ace said:

Seems like you'd knock everything over or have to totally reset anytime you need to get up. Not a huge deal if you're hunkering down for a 10-hr gaming day, but certainly not ideal for casual/intermittent use.

Of course you could make a similar argument with ours, but I would say that ours is slightly more secured for movement :P

Either way, cool idea!

How much cheaper would it be to prop a couch high enough to serve as seating for a desk?

1 hour ago, Granular said:

How much cheaper would it be to prop a couch high enough to serve as seating for a desk?

Lol, this guy deserves a Nobel prize.

GPU: XFX RX 7900 XTX

CPU: Ryzen 7 7800X3D