Cheaper option than Dell PowerEdge T330 Server?

Hi everyone,

Is there a more affordable option than the Dell PowerEdge T330?

Specifications include:

- 32 GB RAM

- RAID 1 (2 * 2TB traditional hard drives

- WIndows Server 2016

- Intel Xeon E3-1240 v5 3.5GHz, 8M cache, 4C/8T, turbo (80W)

- 3 year warranty and technical support

Server needs to communicate with 5 local clients and 5 remote clients. Server needs to host about 5 or 6 fairly low resource applications. Need to purchase 5 user licenses and 5 remote licenses.

Client wants something for under $2000. The above system and specifications list for $3747.77.

Are there any other options you recommend?

Thank you for any help you can give. 

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

Your paying for support,  you can't get much cheaper with out getting rid of support.

You can save a bit running 2016 foundation or essentials. and you don't need cals

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Your paying for support,  you can't get much cheaper with out getting rid of support.

You can save a bit running 2016 foundation or essentials. and you don't need cals

Yeah, I am going to get a quote that subtracts the warranty and support.

I don't need CALS in general, or I don't need CALS with 2016 Foundation or Essentials?

ASRock B550M PG RIPTIDE       Corsair Vengeance 16 GB DDR4             TEAMGROUP MP33 1 TB NVME SSD

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X                   Antec DF700 Case                                 MSI Radeon RX 580 4 GB ARMOR OC

5 minutes ago, berderder said:

eah, I am going to get a quote that subtracts the warranty and support.

no you want that.

5 minutes ago, berderder said:

I don't need CALS in general, or I don't need CALS with 2016 Foundation or Essentials?

With foundation and essentials. They come with a license with 10 or 25 users respectively.

How about a dell t130?

I just configued a t130 iwth server 2016 essentials, 32gb e3 1230 v5 for 1400.

Id also probably skip the raid and just back it up to a nas. Especially since your using bad software raid unless you pay up for the raid card.

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

no you want that.

With foundation and essentials. They come with a license with 10 or 25 users respectively.

How about a dell t130?

I just configued a t130 iwth server 2016 essentials, 32gb e3 1230 v5 for 1400.

Id also probably skip the raid and just back it up to a nas.

Yeah, I'm thinking about the T130 as well. 

Good thought on the RAID, I'll keep that in mind

Windows Server 2016 Essentials includes CALs, I can't remember if it also includes RDS CALs. That you'll have to ask a MS licensing person.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/cloud-platform/windows-server-pricing

Windows Server 2016 Foundation I don't think exists like it did with Server 2012 R2.

4 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Windows Server 2016 Essentials includes CALs, I can't remember if it also includes RDS CALs. That you'll have to ask a MS licensing person.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/cloud-platform/windows-server-pricing

Windows Server 2016 Foundation I don't think exists like it did with Server 2012 R2.

Yeah, I think Windows Server 2016 only has Essentials. No Foundation