"Aura stopped working" - Asus Z270E Mobo

Hey guys,

I just built a PC and everything is running fine except for one thing. The Lightning on the Asus Z270E motherboard doesn't really work. The RGB lights don't light up at all, but i think that's because you have to set them up using the Aura Software from Asus. So first thing i did was going to the Asus page and downloaded the newest Bios version and after that the newest version of the Asus Aura software.

Here's where the problem starts:

When everything is installed and i try to open the Aura software, it tries to open but immediately crashes and opens a browser window with the following error message:

"Asus Aura stopped working"

Page displayed in browser:

Unbenannt.PNG

I already googled it and some people have the same issue as me, but none of those solutions seemed to work for me (like turning off the pc and pull out the power cable & reinstalling Aura afterwards / the magic thing where you go to the folder where the aura software is installed and pressing Enter to open it for like 10 seconds^^).

I really am out of ideas what i should try to get it to work. The pc works well without the RGB lightning i know that but it's kind of disappointing if i would have to live without the RGB lightning, i mean there's a reason i went for a motherboard with rgb^^

I really hope you guys can help me here :)

System Specs:

- ASUS Z270E Motherboard

- i5 7600k

- Corsair H100i v2

- 16GB HyperX Ram

- Asus Strix 1070 GPU

- Corsair RM750x PSU

- 500GB Samsung SSD

CPU: i5 6600K | Cooling: Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming (6GB) | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO Basic (1TB) | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 (1000W) | Display(s): 27'' Asus PG279Q | Keyboard: Steelseries Apex M800 | Mouse: Steelseries Rival | Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | OS: Windows 10 | PC Part Picker URL: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WwL7zy

could try running it as administrator, or uninstalling, and reinstalling while specificly running the installer as administrator.

---

i do need to take care of one thing however:

@Pohernori this BS is why i dont recommend people buy asus aura. i'm sorry chinese RGB cant randomly crash on people, it's really a truly lacking feature about chinese RGB stuff, everything should hang randomly at unfortunate times.

7 hours ago, manikyath said:

@Pohernori this BS is why i dont recommend people buy asus aura. i'm sorry chinese RGB cant randomly crash on people, it's really a truly lacking feature about chinese RGB stuff, everything should hang randomly at unfortunate times.

Oh, oh lawd. 

What aren't you getting? Cheap chinese rgbs still need a controller of sorts. Unless you want to be using a dingy controller to always be controller that 1 dollar strip you bought from china all the time. Mobo makers have a more elegant solution.

Asus(asrock, msi, gigabyte) all have onboard controllers that you can control via software. The software doesn't work all the time, so what? Why'd you buy a 970 when the drivers crash all the time?

And don't start with ws2812 strips. You'd need to invest in a microcontroller(which mind you, don't always come soldered). Account for the total power of the strip and more soldering. 

If you're thinking hue+, think again.

There isn't even a premium to pay anymore for mobos with rgb headers. As long as your cheap chinese strip is compatible you can plug it into the mobo with even lesser cost then the ones that come with a controller. 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

1 minute ago, Pohernori said:

What aren't you getting? Cheap chinese rgbs still need a controller of sorts. Unless you want to be using a dingy controller to always be controller that 1 dollar strip you bought from china all the time. Mobo makers have a more elegant solution.

exactly. they need a little box of magic you can tuck behind the mobo tray, set to your favourite color, and forget about.

the difference? they work. no more, no less.

2 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Why'd you buy a 970 when the drivers crash all the time?

i've actually never had driver problems, aside from when windows decides to brick on the upgrade to windows 10, and was returning that it was both windows 8 and windows 10.

actually, last time i had GPU driver problems was my gigabyte HD5770 that tore itself apart over it simply not wanting to enable vsync at all, and gigabyte's fans at the time being dogshit.

4 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

As long as your cheap chinese strip is compatible you can plug it into the mobo

except... mobo manufacturers very much like to switch pins around, so your "RGB" strip may suddenly be an "RBG" strip, if that explanation makes sense. trying to combine aftermarket stuff and those on-board headers is essentially almost expecting to require at least some bodging of sorts.

essentially, this crap doesnt need a software solution, you shouldnt make it a software solution.

2 hours ago, manikyath said:

exactly. they need a little box of magic you can tuck behind the mobo tray, set to your favourite color, and forget about.

the difference? they work. no more, no less.

I'll await the day one loses the controller. Good luck replacing the whole setup.

"Set your favorite color" Yea, the whole point of RGB is to set a single favorite colour. Yeap.

i've actually never had driver problems, aside from when windows decides to brick on the upgrade to windows 10, and was returning that it was both windows 8 and windows 10.

actually, last time i had GPU driver problems was my gigabyte HD5770 that tore itself apart over it simply not wanting to enable vsync at all, and gigabyte's fans at the time being dogshit.

"I've never had" 

I've heard too many of those claims. And I do make them as well. You know as much as me how much bs that is and how hard it is to prove. 

except... mobo manufacturers very much like to switch pins around, so your "RGB" strip may suddenly be an "RBG" strip, if that explanation makes sense. trying to combine aftermarket stuff and those on-board headers is essentially almost expecting to require at least some bodging of sorts.

Oh now this is interesting. But we can't take acknowledge a claim without a source. 

Headers on asus board are 12v|G|R|B which is the most common layout for RGB strips I've seen. Only a few special snowflakes are BRG

essentially, this crap doesnt need a software solution, you shouldnt make it a software solution.

Look man, the whole point of every mobo makers ecosystem was to do shit like this

capture.gif

And the ease of adding more effects easily through software updates. You think a hardware implementation is to add miserable little remotes to bundle with motherboards? If anything these things are hardware implementation. I know for sure Asus has a hardware controller on the board itself. 

8020_25_asus-rog-strix-z270g-gaming-moth 7997_31_asus-rog-maximus-ix-formula-z270

It even spells "AURA" 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

10 hours ago, Pohernori said:

--

- in the same line, i'll await until asus stops supporting their aura gear

- so.. what you're essentially saying is i'm lying when i say i dont have nvidia driver problems.. sheesh amd fanboy much?

- that system looks like a fucking christmas tree..

- that "aura" chip, is more than likely a custom labeled (if you buy enough, manufacturers will label their chips with whatever you want) chip with either some form of microcontroller under the hood, of if you have bad luck with your hardware argument, that's simply an analog output controller that's dependant on software being there to tell it what to do. see it as a glorified version of GPIO pins on a raspberry pi.

and i forgot to rant about this one:

13 hours ago, Pohernori said:

There isn't even a premium to pay anymore for mobos with rgb headers.

thats why last time you had to drop the CPU and GPU one tier in order to fit in RGB gear into the budget.

On 30.1.2017 at 8:29 PM, manikyath said:

could try running it as administrator, or uninstalling, and reinstalling while specificly running the installer as administrator.

---

Hey thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately it didn't work...

Any other ideas?

CPU: i5 6600K | Cooling: Corsair H100i GTX | Motherboard: Asus Z170-A | RAM: 16GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming (6GB) | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro | Storage: Samsung 850 EVO Basic (1TB) | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 (1000W) | Display(s): 27'' Asus PG279Q | Keyboard: Steelseries Apex M800 | Mouse: Steelseries Rival | Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | OS: Windows 10 | PC Part Picker URL: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WwL7zy

1 minute ago, Camastral said:

Hey thanks for the suggestion, but unfortunately it didn't work...

Any other ideas?

well.. my generic advice would be to try every stupid thing you havent tried yet, because that's how i got AIsuite to somewhat work :P

19 minutes ago, manikyath said:

well.. my generic advice would be to try every stupid thing you havent tried yet, because that's how i got AIsuite to somewhat work :P

haha :D  i really am out of "stupid-thing" ideas. I already reinstalled windows, i cleared cmos, reset bios settings, run the installer as an admin, tried other versions, unplugged the pc and reinstalled again^^

all of that still leads to the same "aura stopped working" error followed by the browser windows with the error messages shown in my first post^^

I guess i'll have to live without the rgb lightning on the motherboard until they finally fix that issue somehow (i guess that will be in like 2022 or something^^)

6 hours ago, manikyath said:

- in the same line, i'll await until asus stops supporting their aura gear

- so.. what you're essentially saying is i'm lying when i say i dont have nvidia driver problems.. sheesh amd fanboy much?

- that system looks like a fucking christmas tree..

- that "aura" chip, is more than likely a custom labeled (if you buy enough, manufacturers will label their chips with whatever you want) chip with either some form of microcontroller under the hood, of if you have bad luck with your hardware argument, that's simply an analog output controller that's dependant on software being there to tell it what to do. see it as a glorified version of GPIO pins on a raspberry pi.

and i forgot to rant about this one:

thats why last time you had to drop the CPU and GPU one tier in order to fit in RGB gear into the budget.

- Uhhh not anytime soon

- so we're bringing the fanboy thing into this? Please don't. 

- That was the fucking point 

- Yea that is definitely it, a glorified restamped chip that's essentially what is in your chinese controllers. Saves you the time of reaching to your remote every single fucking time you wanted to change the effect. 

- What you're still anal about that? OP wanted more rgb than his/her budgedt permitted. I just simply presented an option. 

I also have this problem with AURA for z170 pro gaming mobo with gtx 1080 strix however AURA(GRAPHICS CARD) works on my graphic card with only solid red on mobo

• 3 months later...

Hi Guys, for all those out there where the Aura software doesn't boot, its very simple to fix. Shut down your machine, pull out the power lead, leave it 20 seconds or so, plug it back in boot your machine up and hey presto the Aura software boots up each and every time. Happy days :-)

On Sat May 20 2017 at 0:05 PM, GrantMC said:

Hi Guys, for all those out there where the Aura software doesn't boot, its very simple to fix. Shut down your machine, pull out the power lead, leave it 20 seconds or so, plug it back in boot your machine up and hey presto the Aura software boots up each and every time. Happy days :-)

Hey there, like Camastral the RGB Aura lights didn't work on my Z270e, in fact it never did since i build my system. I have the same problem... LEDs just stay turned off and im not able to start AURA software and get the exact same error he mentioned in his first post. I tried 1. Unplug the powercable a whole night 2. Updating bios 3. Turn aura off and on in bios 4. Reinstalling windows 5.Reinstalling Aura software. But it didn't fixed the issue for me.

Btw. Why is the error saying for X99 if we download a Z270E version from Asus

Erros message after crashing

Manufacturer Manufacturer01 Application name AURA for X99 series Application version 1.3.13.0

Problem state Bug unassigned Problem 258508 Dump group 704528 Dump 13573968 Stack WARNING: Following frames may be wrong. aura+0x106ac aura+0x698a6 aura+0x63da6 aura+0x231af aura+0x7c50f aura+0x8ff21

Edited by Teerdo

On 5/20/2017 at 8:05 PM, GrantMC said:

I've tried this so many times and Aura still doesn't play ball. I'm using the Z270E as well, hope they fix the software soon, such a waste of an led haha.

Helllo Together, so after Trying to fix the problem by... Clearing CMOS, Unplug Power Cable, Turn Aura Off and ON again in Bios, Updating Bios, Unistalling Aura with CC Cleaner, Reinstaling Aura, Reinstalling Windows 10 i just feelt like i tryed all my possible to fix it and it has to be broken.

Anyway my Aura lightning never worked on my Z270E Mainboard from the begining, the Aura Lights were Off all the time.

So i Called Asus Support and got Someone from Asus Support in Germany (im from Switzerland). After i explained my problem and what i tried in order to fix the problem, he sayd i probably have a malfunction on the Board and Should Retourn it. I asked him if there is a general problem known with Aura lighting and defectous Mainbords? but he just claimed that this ist the first time he hear from that probem. I got kinda pissed an asked how could he know that there is no software fix, if he really never heard that this problem exists. I then added that in US Forums some Coworker from ASUS already admited defect Aura on some Mainboards, collecting them to find the Cause . He Again repeated that there is no General Issue Known but i should RMA it.

So i Called The Shop wehre i bought the Z270E Board and told the Story. They agreed that i can Order a NEW Z270E and RMA the OLD malfuntioning one as soon as i got the New one.

And guess what after i replaced the Old Mainboard with the new one... as soon as i connectet the Power cord and set the Power switch to on (not even Starting The PC) the Aura LED on the mainboard did Lighten up Instantly with the Rainbow effect. The whole Hardware stayed the same every single connection expect the New Mainboard. (So to 99% it was a broken Mainbord... the only problem i have now is that Windows 10 is saying that my OEM Key is not Valid anymore... but im in conntact with Microsoft already and they will help me, They wanted my Phonenummber, Name, E-Mail Adress and A Picture of the purchase receipt of the New.. replaced Mainboard)

So end of the story if your Aura Lightning LEDs never worked and non of the things i mentioned at the begining above can fix your Aura Lightning.

You probably just got a Defect Mainboard like me and and you will have to RMA it.

Edited by Teerdo

• 2 weeks later...

They've just pushed out a new update for Aura a couple days ago, I suggest trying it out and see it that irons out the issues. Though, unfortunately it doesn't work for me. :(

i have the same issue but when i plug in my keyboard a Razer Deathstalker Chroma the lights wont work on it. I have installed the software and nothing I've tried all the solutions posted on here and nothing. when i go back to my old 990x PC the keyboard works fine. while i was setting up windows 10 the key board would light up once i installed it and got it to boot no light on my keyboard... :( like stated earlier if I didn't want the rgb to turn on then i could of saved me $80-$!00.

This just happened to me this morning guess I'm in for a marathon debug session my board is am4 though so its new guess their using the same shit across all platforms

My daily driver: The Wrath of Red: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen TR4 1950x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA621P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASRock x399 Taichi / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / Samsung 512GB 970 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor x3

My technology Rig: The wizard: OS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen R7 1800x 3.95MHz / Corsair H110i / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / ASUS CH 6 / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / HP 10GB Single Port Mellanox Connectx-2 PCI-E 10GBe NIC / 512GB 960 pro M.2 / ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 STRIX 8GB / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor HP Monitor

My I don't use RigOS Windows 10 home edition / CPU Ryzen 1600x 3.85GHz / Cooler Master MasterAir MA620P Twin-Tower RGB CPU Air Cooler / PSU Thermaltake Toughpower 750watt / MSI x370 Gaming Pro Carbon / Gskill Flare X 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz / Samsung PM961 256GB M.2 PCIe Internal SSDEVGA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti SSC GAMING / Acer - H236HLbid 23.0" 1920x1080 60Hz Monitor

My NAS: The storage miser: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / CPU Intel i7 6700 / Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 Watt 80 Plus / ASUS Maximus viii Hero / 32GB Gskill RipJaw DDR4 3200Mhz / HP Mellanox ConnectX-2 10 GbE PCI-e G2 Dual SFP+ Ported Ethernet HCA NIC / 9 Drives total 29TB - 1 4TB seagate parity - 7 4TB WD Red data - 1 1TB laptop drive data - and 2 240GB Sandisk SSD's cache / Headless

Why did I buy this server: OS unRAID v. 6.9.0-beta25 / Dell R710 enterprise server with dual xeon E5530 / 48GB ecc ddr3 / Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA w/ LSI 9211-8i P20 IT / 4 450GB sas drives / headless

Just another server: OS Proxmox VE / Dell poweredge R410