upscale to 4k? any benifit?

Simple question, if my video is taken in 1080 is there any quality benifit in rendering it up to 4k in premiere or is it just a waste of time and space?

the only case where upscaling makes sense is for example if you'd put it on youtube, because that way you get more bitrate for what is essentially still 1080p video.

if you're only gonna use it locally, you can have whatever bitrate you want, so essentially yes, its a waste.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

the only case where upscaling makes sense is for example if you'd put it on youtube, because that way you get more bitrate for what is essentially still 1080p video.

if you're only gonna use it locally, you can have whatever bitrate you want, so essentially yes, its a waste.

It is for youtube. 

Upscaling to 4k from 1080p is most likely going to hurt the quality as it has to calculate a lot more pixels. Personally i think upscaling 1440p is the best option as YouTube will automatically encode the video using the vp9 codec instead of the standard h264. |

Also the type of upscale method is important as some will soften the image in the process whereas others will retain the sharpness

What software are you going to use to upscale?

1 hour ago, Black Ops said:

Personally i think upscaling 1440p is the best option as YouTube will automatically encode the video using the vp9 codec instead of the standard h264. |

Actually it is not a good idea since 4k is exactly 4 times the since of 1080p, which can be scaled losslessly.

1440p is 1.78 times the size of 1080p and scaling to that resolution will reduce the quality. 

The answer is yes if Uploaded to YouTube as others have said, but only because of the higher bitrate.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

14 hours ago, Mihle said:

The answer is yes if Uploaded to YouTube as others have said, but only because of the higher bitrate.

What if I just render it to have a higher bit rate? 

2 hours ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Won't change anything as long as the bitrate is high enough in the first place. 

3 hours ago, Shadow_Storm56 said:

Youtube will still butcher it.

Youtube has set bitrates for their specific resolutions and no matter whether you upload 40mbps or 100mbps at 1080p it will be reencoded to something like 6mbps.

Higher is better for "sampling" the reencode with more details.

But 4k would be better as youtube will invest more bitrate to the reencode.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

I always upscale any 1080p Video before uploading it to Youtube. The Youtube 4K Preset in Premiere will do just fine in most cases.

3 hours ago, Rylie59 said:

that video makes a few good points, but it doesn't cover everything.  such as there's no benefit of scaling up to 4K if the original 1080p video's quality is horrible.

A good photographer knows where to focus the lens, a bad photographer focuses on the wrong things.  A good photographer goes out to the world and tries to create something new, a lazy wannabe photographer goes to a museum to take photos of things people have photographed before. - Good Photography

• 2 months later...

Source material as 1080p, upscale to 4K only if it's for youtube or your TV upscaler is horrible and you wish to show videos to your friends. Just finished comparing 1080p vs upscaled 4K on youtube, if still wondering what the difference may be:

On 5/3/2017 at 5:04 PM, BTA said:

Source material as 1080p, upscale to 4K only if it's for youtube or your TV upscaler is horrible and you wish to show videos to your friends. Just finished comparing 1080p vs upscaled 4K on youtube, if still wondering what the difference may be:

Is it just me or does the 4K video look like it has less dynamic range here? I can see the sky blowing out and the blacks clipping visibly when he switches tabs...

On 6.5.2017 at 6:24 AM, peabody505 said:

Is it just me or does the 4K video look like it has less dynamic range here? I can see the sky blowing out and the blacks clipping visibly when he switches tabs...

I assume youre talking about that clip on a boat? I see it other way around. Sky is overexposed on purpose. 1080p version flattens the colours and makes them more washed out. I've linked test clips under description if you wanna compare on your own, as this was recorded with OBS that plays a small part how it looks on final video.:)