3DTV is now deader, Sony & LG follow Samsung and stop manufacturing them

Master Disaster

Samsung (the worlds biggest manufacturer of TVs) announced they were halting production in late 2016 effectively spelling the end of 3DTVs, well as of last Friday Sony & LG have both followed suit meaning that there are now no major manufacturers left, 3DTV is dead.

It was once hailed as the future of home entertainment.

But it looks as if 3D television is set for the technology scrapheap.

The last two major manufacturers of 3D TVs - LG and Sony - last week announced they would no longer make 3D sets, leaving no major manufacturers in the market after Samsung discontinued its own line last year.

A lack of demand from consumers reluctant to sit in their living rooms wearing chunky 3D glasses was behind the decision, the companies admitted.

A spokesmen from LG stated the move was to help them concentrate on newer technologies like HDR

LG’s director of new product development, Tim Alessi, told tech news website Cnet: ‘3D capability was never really universally embraced in the industry for home use, and it’s just not a key buying factor when selecting a new TV.

‘Purchase process research showed it’s not a top buying consideration, and anecdotal information indicated that actual usage was not high.

‘We decided to drop 3D support for 2017 in order to focus our efforts on new capabilities such as HDR, which has much more universal appeal.’

A spokesman from Sony said: ‘Based on current market trends we decided not to support 3D for our 2017 models.’

3D equipment sales have been steadily falling over recent years

Sales of 3D home cinema equipment have declined year on year since 2012, and made up just 8 per cent of total TV sales revenue in 2016, according to the NPD group.

This was down from 16 per cent in 2015 and 23 per cent in 2012.

A lack of quality film and television using 3D technology in recent years has also been blamed for the decline.

3D TV works by creating two separate pictures which are picked up independently by each eye, tricking the brain into seeing a 3D image. Users must wear special glasses for the affect to work.

Each lens in the glasses is polarized to let a different image through to the eye, one horizontal and one vertical.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4170040/Major-3D-TV-manufacturers-scrapping-sets.html

The writing was on the wall for 3D a long time ago, it was a gimmick that caused way more problems than it solved and it was way to expensive.

Here's hoping were not looking a similar articles about VR in 2020 though TBH the trend does seem to be repeating itself plus 3D had cinemas to push it along where as VR has nothing.

Thoughts?

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

i called this years ago. Its even hard to get people to go to 3D at the cinema

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

I'm still waiting for cinema 3D to go away. It just makes everything dark and hurts my eyes. It also gets in the way of my glasses. Nor does the 3D effect actually work while being much more expensive than normal 

That's an F in the profile pic

I read "3DFX" at first and was very confused , but this makes sense , 3dtv and 3d in general are a gimmick that pops up every few years

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

31 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

i called this years ago. Its even hard to get people to go to 3D at the cinema

I hate 3D and actively avoid it. If a movie doesn't have a non 3D viewing I won't watch it until blu-ray. Even then I rarely go to a cinema, I watch at home. I do travel to the Embassy for the really good ones though, I don't live in Welly but close enough I can travel watch and be back home by tea time.

I never liked 3D TV's. Now we just need projectors to follow suit so they can save some money and bring the prices down.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

3D at cinema is still in good shape, enjoyable too. I'm thinking 8K3D will save it because the image quality is not so good, basically 720p in a 4K 50".

FX8320 4.2Ghz@1.280v& 4.5 Ghz Turbo@1.312v Thermalright HR-02/w TY-147 140MM+Arctic Cooling 120MMVRM cooled by AMD Stock Cooler Fan 70MM 0-7200 RPM PWM controlled via SpeedfanGigabyte GA990XA-UD3Gigabyte HD 7970 SOC@R9 280X120GiBee Kingston HyperX 3K2TB Toshiba DT01ACA2001TB WD GreenZalman Z11+Enermax 140MM TB Apollish RED+2X Deepcool 120MM and stock fans running @5VSingle Channel Patriot 8GB (1333MHZ)+Dual Channel 4GB&2GB Kingston NANO Gaming(1600MHZ CL9)=14GB 1,600 Jigahurtz 10-10-9-29 CR1@1.28VSirtec High Power 500WASUS Xonar DG, Logitech F510Sony MDR-XD200Edifier X220 + Edifier 3200A4Tech XL-747H 3600dpiA4Tech X7-200MPdecent membrane keyboardPhilips 236V3LSB 23" 1080p@71Hz .

Sorry for my English....

I love 3D at the theatres. I even use Nvidia 3D on less demanding games. I was interested in 3DTVs I just was too young at the time to buy/need a TV. Gotta finish university and get my own place for that kind of thing :(

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

1 minute ago, Bensemus said:

I love 3D at the theatres. I even use Nvidia 3D on less demanding games. I was interested in 3DTVs I just was too young at the time to buy/need a TV. Gotta finish university and get my own place for that kind of thing :(

The idea of 3D is great, what we actually got and what we have to wear to get it is what killed it. Most 3D content is garbage and I HATE having to wear 3D glasses.

17 minutes ago, leadeater said:

I hate 3D and actively avoid it. If a movie doesn't have a non 3D viewing I won't watch it until blu-ray. Even then I rarely go to a cinema, I watch at home. I do travel to the Embassy for the really good ones though, I don't live in Welly but close enough I can travel watch and be back home by tea time.

Same here, I have really bad eyes anyway due to an eye disease and even while wearing my contact lenses (which correct my vision to about 95%) 3D stuff only works for me if I really concentrate on the image which gives me a headache and eventually I just give up trying.

40 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

I'm still waiting for cinema 3D to go away. It just makes everything dark and hurts my eyes. It also gets in the way of my glasses. Nor does the 3D effect actually work while being much more expensive than normal 

I find it works better in the cinema than at home but only under certain situations, if the movie uses 3D to bring out small parts of the movie then it works great, for example our cinema shows a Panasonic 3D advert before every movie and that is freaking amazing, the butterfly flies across the room and the football comes straight at you but in some movies they try to 3D an entire scene (Harry Potter 8 at the end they made a fight scene 3D) and it looks like shit, not only does the 3D not work but it makes the scene blurry and difficult to see properly.

My best mate has an Nvidia 3D monitor and frankly its atrocious. The only games I've ever looked at with it on and thought "OK that looks 3D" were Unreal Engine 3 games (specifically JC2, BL2 and B:AC), on every other game it just looks flat and blurry.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

I love 3D, it made 2D movie tickets cheaper

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

2 hours ago, MeepLikesToBuildPc's said:

3DtV was a gimmick anyway.

3DTV was absolutely not a gimmick - 3D cinemas are still operating and they are far older

the problem with 3DTV was the social / human factor - you need to wear the fucking glasses and you need to have as many pairs as the number of humans watching; VR has the same issue

it works in cinemas because you already have a finite number of seats

the other issue is with people who already wear glasses - I still won't go to see a 3D movie

i actually love to own a 3dtv when time comes & have enough to afford one , this is kinda sad news for me really, but i do hope they dont kill it entirely, maybe still produce a fewer volume & still keep the option to purchase a new one instead of buying a used one

Details separate people.

15 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

i actually love to own a 3dtv when time comes & have enough to afford one , this is kinda sad news for me really, but i do hope they dont kill it entirely, maybe still produce a fewer volume & still keep the option to purchase a new one instead of buying a used one

Samsung, Sony & LG have all stopped manufacturing them entirely, as the articles says, there's no major manufacturers left.

1 minute ago, Master Disaster said:

Samsung, Sony & LG have all stopped manufacturing them entirely, as the articles says, there's no major manufacturers left.

probably some Chinese ones will be still around , all long as they pump out 3d blurays there has to be some source

Details separate people.

Just now, Tech_Dreamer said:

probably some Chinese ones will be still around , all long as they pump out 3d blurays there has to be some source

Yeah, cheap Chinese and Korean electronics are everywhere these days.

I just picked up a 49" 4K Smart TV from my local supermarket for £449 for my bedroom, its actually a damn good quality screen to be honest, nothing like Samsung, Sony or LG but its LED and it's really clear and sharp. I've got a really expensive Samsung 1080p in my living room and the only noticeable difference between them is the blacks, the black on the Samsung is really dark while on the new TV its more grey but I'm really impressed with it for a cheap brand (Its a Celcus). Just a shame the speakers sound like asthmatic mice talking through 2 yoghurt pots connected by string but I already have a soundbar anyway.

2 hours ago, Froody129 said:

Huh, I've not noticed that issue. I think for sure cinema 3D has gotten better and probably was better than 3D on TVs.

I'm not sure if you're talking about the RealD glasses but at least with my glasses I never noticed that.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

Have there been any 3D monitors released in past 3 years ? I never understood the point of them :D but I remember 10 years ago when it was popular feature and u had to buy $100 glasses for it lol.

Connection200mbps / 12mbps 5Ghz wifi

My baby: CPU - i7-4790, MB - Z97-A, RAM - Corsair Veng. LP 16gb, GPU - MSI GTX 1060, PSU - CXM 600, Storage - Evo 840 120gb, MX100 256gb, WD Blue 1TB, Cooler - Hyper Evo 212, Case - Corsair Carbide 200R, Monitor - Benq  XL2430T 144Hz, Mouse - FinalMouse, Keyboard -K70 RGB, OS - Win 10, Audio - DT990 Pro, Phone - iPhone SE

Don't care really, 3D content is meh, glasses suck, it's all about hologram anyway ;)
Also better just focus making monitors great with resolution, refresh rate, color reproduction, response time, panel type, HDR and such. Monitors are in good direction now.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

15 hours ago, leadeater said:

The idea of 3D is great, what we actually got and what we have to wear to get it is what killed it. Most 3D content is garbage and I HATE having to wear 3D glasses.

I live in the same world so I have to deal with all that. What we have I enjoy. I even have no problem wearing 3D glasses (cinema or Nvidia) overtop my normal glasses.

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

12 hours ago, Thony said:

Have there been any 3D monitors released in past 3 years ? I never understood the point of them :D but I remember 10 years ago when it was popular feature and u had to buy $100 glasses for it lol.

I believe any 120Hz monitor is capable of at least Nvidia 3D when paired with the glasses and base station which do cost I think $150 CAD together. Some monitors came with the base station integrated so you only had to buy the glasses.

laptop

1 hour ago, Bensemus said:

I live in the same world so I have to deal with all that. What we have I enjoy. I even have no problem wearing 3D glasses (cinema or Nvidia) overtop my normal glasses.

Yea plenty people like it and plenty don't. It does however make much more sense in current form at cinemas than it does at home, which shows by the fact manufactures are discontinuing the feature and the only reason to do that is if it's not being used (in the collective sense).

16 hours ago, leadeater said:

By far I prefer watching movies at home.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch