Welcome To The Forums! Here Is A Quick Guide To Get Started.

iamdarkyoshi
31 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

-snip-

Your email is visible while explaining how to change signature.

Just for consistency of formatting and in the hopes someone actually sees it, I'd make group at the top about the importance of selecting the right location for your thread - not just dumping in GD, and lump in the bottom part about off topic chit chat and linus memes into this.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Thought I fixed that. I'll fix it again. Not like people couldn't guess my email lol

Edit: Fixed.

Also: don't use QUOTE tag when you are quoting someone

4 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Thought I fixed that. I'll fix it again. Not like people couldn't guess my email lol

You need to press the arrow pointing to the left to quote

3 minutes ago, iamdarkyoshi said:
4 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Also I know there are mods who is following this thread so I hope this gets seen, basically if someone was new to this forum then this guide should be easily seen by new members. Guides & Tutorials section are located literally at the bottom of the page despite this thread being pinned. So maybe move it to General Discussions?

12 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Also I know there are mods who is following this thread so I hope this gets seen, basically if someone was new to this forum then this guide should be easily seen by new members. Guides & Tutorials section are located literally at the bottom of the page despite this thread being pinned. So maybe move it to General Discussions?

Yeah I don't think this will be the final resting place... My dream solution would be to have some sort of "front page" with an abridged version of the CoC and and tips like this all mixed together that gets shown to new members.  Of course they could choose to not read it, but those types care gonna be "like that" anyway, so I wouldn't worry about it, since it would help anyone who actually wants to take being here seriously.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

8 hours ago, Godlygamer23 said:

I thought we had something like this already from @Minibois.

8 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

It's "outdated" according to @Minibois

8 hours ago, iamdarkyoshi said:

I was't aware of it...

Yea, that thread is very outdated. It was written for the previous forum software and in the migration all the spoilers and stuff broke and I didn't want to bother fixing the styling on an outdated guide.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

• 4 months later...

Sorry for necroing old thread
Can you add in your guide (becaue at least it should be somewhere) that the person should use report button and ask moderator to move the thread to a different category instead of not helping the person out and simply commenting "wrong section".

On 1/30/2017 at 10:20 AM, iamdarkyoshi said:

Hello and welcome to the forums! This is a quick guide on how to use the forums.

Before going anywhere, I would highly suggest reading the Community Standards.

(FYI, there is a theme selection at the bottom of the page, I use night theme :))

Please avoid just throwing your thread in general discussion, it makes more work for the moderators to have to move it.

Creating your first topic

Reveal hidden contents

First, find the correct place for the topic, so people knowledgeable in the topic can find it easier. For this example, I'll post something in the Case and Power Supplies subforum. Click that header to go to the subforum.

1.PNG

Once there, you can create a topic by clicking this button:

2.PNG

Some subforums have special rules, such as the Tech News and Reviews subforum, if they have a pinned rules post at the top, please read it before posting.

Using the editor

Reveal hidden contents

This is where you want to give your topic a good title, and describe everything as best as you can in the main post. Titles such as "HELP" don't get as many views as a title such as "Help, my PSU is making a weird smell!"

I won't show everything here, but here are some important points:

This button clears any Formatting your text may have, such as text copied from another website. Highlight that text and click this button, and it will make it look like the rest of your post.

3.PNG

Before:

Reveal hidden contents

4.PNG

After: 

Reveal hidden contents

5.PNG

Using spoilers to hide unneeded content:

This button adds a spoiler, which you can type in or add photos. You have probably seen by now how they work, I used them above.

6.PNG

Replying to others

Reveal hidden contents

If you need to reply to someone, the best way is to quote them. Not everyone follows every topic, so by quoting them, you will notify them.

7.PNG

You can also quote multiple users in one post, which keeps the thread organized. You can either select multiple posts to quote using the plus button, or just quote one user, type a reply, and then quote the next user.

10.PNG

You can also tag a user like you would on twitter:

8.PNG

Just type @ followed by a username, and click it, it should look like this: @iamdarkyoshi

Quote someone or tag them, please don't do both.

Selecting the best answer

Reveal hidden contents

Once you are satisfied with a response, click this arrow, and it will mark the thread as solved. If anyone else stumbles upon the same thread with the same issue, they will be shown the answer at the top of the page.

9.PNG

Signatures

Reveal hidden contents

This is where you can add a couple lines under each of your posts. Simply go to Account Settings

11.png

And then Signature.

12.png

From here, you can put any text or links to LTT threads you want, within reason. I'd suggest putting your PC specs here if nothing else.

Reveal hidden contents

Show your appreciation for another's help by Agreeing, finding it Informative, Funny, or simply giving them a Thumbs Up with the four icons in the bottom right of a post.

13.png

If you click the wrong one, remove it by clicking (list) and clicking the X next to your name.

14.png

If you have a meme or something that doesn't warrant a full thread, here are some topics to post them in.

Linus Memes

Off Topic Chat

I hope this helped teach you the basics of how to use the forums! If you have any other questions or suggestions, post them below.

Thanks for reading :) 

New member from Malaysia. 

p.s Be nice to me ?

• 2 weeks later...

@iamdarkyoshi Thanks a lot ,this was a very helpful post and it answered the question I had asked earlier about signature , I guess you were waiting when will I find out ;) or rather as a proof whether I read your post :P But really thanks ,it's a very useful post ,excellent job.

• 1 month later...
On 1/30/2017 at 9:20 AM, iamdarkyoshi said:

If you have a meme or something that doesn't warrant a full thread, here are some topics to post them in.

Linus Memes

Off Topic Chat

but what are the odds for a new member to do so when they join a tech forum

• 1 month later...

I know you mention this in the editor section but this goes into depth about it, and it's such a common issue, it wouldn't hurt to link this I think 

Also might not hurt to make the bit about multi-quoting more obvious (include images), and also mention snipping long posts and not quoting images unnecessarily 

Oh, and you'll also have to update the reputation section I guess xD 

• 1 month later...
On 30-1-2017 at 3:20 AM, iamdarkyoshi said:

Reveal hidden contents

the like/agree/informative/funny buttons have changed, it might be a good idea to update the screenshots. :)

"Aeneas troianus est."

I'm allergic to social interaction in real life, don't talk to me in real life please.

don't forget to quote or tag (@marten.aap2.0) me when you reply!

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, 

Where can I find an overclocking guide on i7 8700k + Asus Rog strix z370 please?

thanks.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 months later...
On 9/20/2017 at 12:21 AM, Ryan_Vickers said:

Also might not hurt to make the bit about multi-quoting more obvious

If your on page two and you want to quote someone from page one by editing your post.

How do you do that with a normal quote without using the at tag?

I've been trying but I'm not able to do it.

When I try it just starts a new reply.

12 minutes ago, Intergalacticbits said:

If your on page two and you want to quote someone from page one by editing your post.

How do you do that with a normal quote without using the at tag?

I've been trying but I'm not able to do it.

When I try it just starts a new reply.

Start by doing just that (hitting normal quote which then opens the editor for a new post) and then simply cut that quote box and paste it into the post you're editing.