Supermicro X9DBL-3F motherboard and USB 3.0 card problems

I have a Supermicro X9DBL-3F motherboard for a home server running Centos 6. The motherboard, which has no USB3.0 ports, is installed in a Supermicro CSE-732D case which has a pair of USB 3.0 ports and the blue connector for the 20 pin header.

I put an Orico PVU3-502I USB 3.0 card in the system. It boots fine, but Centos 6 doesn't have driver support for the card.

I tried putting a Vantec UGT-PC345, which is on the Centos supported chipset list, in the system, but the motherboard refuses to boot. It just freezes during the POST ad nothing more. I tried pulling all the other cards short of the video and moving the USB card to other slots, but the system just keeps freezing during POST.

I've disabled UEFI in the BIOS for the Centos install.

Does anyone have any ideas? Any experience with Supermicro server boards and USB 3.0 cards?  I'm willing to change the OS to Centos 7 or Fedora 24/25 if either of the USB 3.0 cards wouldl be supported.

Thanks.

Frank

why aren't you using CentOS 7? it's most likely a kernel issue why it can't detect the card

you could also try to manually update the kernel

This isn't a driver problem.  The motherboard won't even POST with the Vantec USB card installed.  Unless the POST finishes the OS can't boot. 

I'm not sure how to diagnose this problem without diving through the Bios settings one-by-one. 

Frank 

19 hours ago, ftarz said:

This isn't a driver problem.  The motherboard won't even POST with the Vantec USB card installed

wasn't talking about the Vantec, but the Orico since that is clearly a driver issue

the Vantec might be:

1. defective
  2. the mobo has issues with it; a BIOS update should be considered