Graphics Card Sizes

AdvocateOfNyx

Hello, wonder LTT users!  Another stupid question today.

One of my friends is currently trying to upgrade his graphics devices.  (Currently using integrated Intel HD Graphics 4400)  Problem is, he bought an Acer computer, and lives a state away.  Sigh

So, since I can't get any hands-on experience with the computer, I had to do the next best thing...  Ask for the model.

He has an Acer Aspire XC-705 (LINK)

He needs a GPU able to play most modern games at 60fps, 1080p.  (Yes, I told him to upgrade the CPU.  No, he isn't upgrading it before getting a GPU.)

Low Profile 1050          ?

Low Profile 1050ti        ?

-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-

First of all(frankly I'm not 100% sure but anyway), it seems like only low-profile graphics cards fits in the system.

And this fact leads to the conclusion : you cannot put a normal VGA in there, only LP-supported ones.

Currently the best VGA on LP is GTX 1050 Ti, you may be able to find it somewhere online.

there are low profile 1050 and 1050ti from gigabyte and msi  

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Thanks guys!  So low profile 1050s and 1050tis are my best bet?  And AMD offers nothing of the same standard?  (Just wanted to make sure)

-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-=+=-

17 minutes ago, AdvocateOfNyx said:

Thanks guys!  So low profile 1050s and 1050tis are my best bet?  And AMD offers nothing of the same standard?  (Just wanted to make sure)

AMD offers nothing low profile from this generation so far. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

don't take any of this information listed above.

you will need a LOW PROFILE ------- SINGLE SLOT card to fit in that case. ......... unless OP decides to replace the case with something else. In any event you will need to replace the power supply.

and even though some cards are listed as low profile you will need to look at the heat sink on it to make sure it doesn't rise to 2dual height.

so case/power supply/decent card.........$$$$$$$$$......

what's in the 1x slot above the pci-e 16 slot?

and is it actually a single slot cut out on the back of the machine for a card....... not enough good pictures around to tell.

and I'll edit.......... if that's an add in card ( 1x slot ) is it or is it NOT riveted to the chassis? ( don't laugh folks ).

10 hours ago, LabRat said:

don't take any of this information listed above.

you will need a LOW PROFILE ------- SINGLE SLOT card to fit in that case. ......... unless OP decides to replace the case with something else. In any event you will need to replace the power supply.

and even though some cards are listed as low profile you will need to look at the heat sink on it to make sure it doesn't rise to 2dual height.

so case/power supply/decent card.........$$$$$$$$$......

what's in the 1x slot above the pci-e 16 slot?

and is it actually a single slot cut out on the back of the machine for a card....... not enough good pictures around to tell.

and I'll edit.......... if that's an add in card ( 1x slot ) is it or is it NOT riveted to the chassis? ( don't laugh folks ).

That $$$ pool isn't very big.  The purchases should total $200-$250 or less, so...  I think case is just not reasonable.  He could pick up a new PSU, but that really isn't the concern right now.  (But if you have one you recommend, speak on)  Any examples you could find for me of said low profile single slot card with a single height heat sink?

if the card comes out of the slot ( which it should ) ( but I can't see a good picture ( close up and in focus ) and can't find a shot of the case with the side off so I can see inside........ the low profile 750/1050 advised in one of the above posts will work.......

but the power supply in the case is a giant turd and needs to go. i will be retiring for the evening and will get back to this in about 12hours.

20 minutes ago, LabRat said:

if the card comes out of the slot ( which it should ) ( but I can't see a good picture ( close up and in focus ) and can't find a shot of the case with the side off so I can see inside........ the low profile 750 advised in one of the above posts will work.......

but the power supply in the case is a giant turd and needs to go. i will be retiring for the evening and will get back to this in about 12hours.

Who recommended a low profile 750?  I'm seeing 1050 and 1050ti...

I can ask for a picture with the side panel off, if it would help you.

3 minutes ago, LabRat said:

that ps won't fit in that case.......

i did edit the post ( 1050 )

I'm sorry, I didn't see the size of that PSU.  Was looking at a different one before and got the dimensions confused between the two.  :|

you need to look at it and get information off it. it may also have proprietary plugs on it???? I still haven't found a decent picture of it.

almost lost this thread............. I looked at a few of those "low profile cards"/low profile ready...................... make sure they come with a low profile bracket or they will be useless in that case........... anyways, what's going on here?

46 minutes ago, LabRat said:

almost lost this thread............. I looked at a few of those "low profile cards"/low profile ready...................... make sure they come with a low profile bracket or they will be useless in that case........... anyways, what's going on here?

Trying to get a picture of the case with the side panel off for you.  Currently, my friend is sick.  (Great timing, I know)