New SSD In Sata2 Not Running At Sata2 Speed

Guest Darth Revan

My friend just bought a new Sandisk Plus SSD 120gb. He has an old Amd athlon x2 6000+ so obviously the motherboard is only capable of sata2. Now the ssd won't go above 107mb/s write or read speeds. Tested it with crystal disk mark and other benchmark programs.

Now I took the drive out of his system and tested in my system that has sata3 and it goes above 400mb/s reads and writes no problem. So I know it's not the SSD's fault.

The thing that puzzles me is that he also a 2tb WD Black Drive and I tested that and while using the exact same port as the SSD, even using the exact same cable as I used with the SSD. The hard drive goes above 200mb/s reads and writes. So I know it's not the port or lack of sata2. It's something that I really have no clue what it could be.

Any of you know or had this issue before that can help me?

Oh and AHCI is turned on in the mobo.

No idea.  Normally I'd have suggested trying with a fast HDD and trying the SSD in another machine, but you've done all that.  Settings are okay too, so that's not it either. 

The only suggestion would be to try with another type of SSD and hope that that works. 

Try updating the firmware on the SSD itself. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

So after more tests and switches around, I still haven't found the answer. I just have a theory that I'll say it after I explain this. Now I have an Samsung 850 Evo drive and plugged it in his PC and tested it. Once again using the exact same sata port and same cable to make sure I can find the problem.

Now my SSD in his PC reaches speeds close to 300mb/s which is the limit of Sata2.

Now seeing this my theory is that the controller in the Sandisk drive and the one on his mobo don't get along so to say. That is really the only thing I can possible think of.

If any of you have any better theories, please tell me.

And of course I did multiple tests to make sure it wasn't just a glitch.

8 minutes ago, Darth Revan said:

Now seeing this my theory is that the controller in the Sandisk drive and the one on his mobo don't get along so to say. That is really the only thing I can possible think of.

Completely agree.  There's just no other logical explanation.