What IDE (or text editor) do you use?

Visual Studio 2010

Notepad++

NetBeans

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

- Albert Einstein

I do a lot of Web Development. It's what I do for a living. I am a huge fan of Sublime Text. I actually work on a Mac. It's what we all use, but I try to make sure all my software can be used in multiple operating systems. I hop around a lot. If it's any kind of scripting language, which is what web applications generally are, I recommend Sublime Text 3. It has an awesome amount of plugins. It's just great. So easy to customize to your needs. Not really what I think about when I think of IDE. I consider it more of a text editor, but it's really semantics I think. I could be wrong, but that's how I look at it. I just wanted to say that, because I'm seeing a lot of Notepad++ recommendations. It's great because it has FTP built in, but if you're FTP programming, you should probably look into changing your workflow. I kind of want to try out IntelliJ variants like PHP Storm or whatever.

For Java, eclipse is still pretty much used by most as far as I know, but I have absolutely fallen in love with IntelliJ. I had to tweak some weird default settings that I don't really get. Android studio is based of IntelliJ too.

For C++, Visual Studio all the way. Nothing compares. In my opinion, that includes C#, and C.

Objective C, use XCode. I don't use it, but as far as I know, the alternatives aren't great.

For the guy using vim, I think you're nuts, but the best programmer I know lives and dies by it, so there has to be something to it.

I go eclipse and notepad++ for my uses... Then if you are counting web development, I use dreamweaver for javascript and PHP stuff

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

I do a lot of Web Development. It's what I do for a living. I am a huge fan of Sublime Text. I actually work on a Mac. It's what we all use, but I try to make sure all my software can be used in multiple operating systems. I hop around a lot. If it's any kind of scripting language, which is what web applications generally are, I recommend Sublime Text 3. It has an awesome amount of plugins. It's just great. So easy to customize to your needs. Not really what I think about when I think of IDE. I consider it more of a text editor, but it's really semantics I think. I could be wrong, but that's how I look at it.

I'd say using a text editor (+ compiler, if you're using a compiled language) is

a development environment, but not an integrated development environment.

But then again, the lines are a bit murky anyways, so I'm sure you can always find

dissenting opinions. For example, I'm sure some people would call a text editor

with integrated syntax checking but with an external compiler already an IDE. Plus,

it is possible to compile programs from within Vim, so if I never have to leave

my text editor during development, is it an IDE? Who knows... :rolleyes:

For the guy using vim, I think you're nuts, but the best programmer I know lives and dies by it, so there has to be something to it.

It has a bit of a learning curve to it, but once you have it set up properly and

gotten over the initial hurdle (meaning you have the relevant keybindings in your

muscle memory) it's totally awesome IMO. :D

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

For web dev - Notepad++

For Android dev - Eclipse

Passionate indie android developer

• 2 weeks later...

Visual Studio for C,C++,C#.

Mars 4.4 for assembler (MIPS).

Android dev- android studio.

Notepad ++

------------------------------------------------------I HAZ SHINY----------------------------------------------------------

For Java I used Eclipse, best IDE I have used so far. NotePad++ and TextPad, etc, are just too minimalist for me. I like having all the bells & whistles. 

For C/C++ I use CodeBlocks because I just started using C/C++ and was recommended CodeBlocks.  ;)

Adopt children, not styles.

Visual Studio 2008 for old SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) for making reports

Visual Studio 2010/2012 for C++, ASP.NET and pretty much anything Microsoft-specific

Notepad++ for simple HTML, CSS, and Javascript stuff

I mainly code with Java, which for I use Eclipse, because it's just the first IDE that I started using. It's been sticking around since and does it's job well.

For the occasional Python programming, I just use the default IDLE ide that comes with it.

I mainly use c++ in visual studio, but I'm looking at Java for android and have Used eclipse so far.

Visual Studio 2013 for C# and C++

Eclipse for Java

Notepad++ with the right compiler for C

C++/C#: Visual Studio 2010 and SharpDevelop

Why? Thats what I'm taught in school and thats what the company I'm an intern for uses (ASP.NET).

Java: Eclipse

Why? Learned with it, and that's what we use at school.

The rest: Notepad++ or Vim when I have to shh into a linux machine.

Why? Easy of use, very light, can install on any client's machine (N++).

shell scripts: vi or sublime 3 (depends on if its on my laptop or the server)

C#: VS2012

Java: Eclipse

PHP: sublime 3

SQL: sublime 3

C/C++: Code::Blocks (was VS for a while, but want to do linux programming)

Everything else: sublime 3

I use netbeans for java, and most of my html/css stuff. 

CPU: i7 4770k@4.3Ghz GPU: GTX 780ti Motherboard: ROG maximus vi formula PSU: Evga supernova 1000w Platinum

Case: NZXT Switch 810 Memory: g.skill ripjaws X Cooler: Corsair h100i(getting custom loop when i get money next) Storage: Samsung 840 evo 250gb Keyboard: Corsair K95 Mouse: SteelSeries Rival

• 2 months later...

visual studio for c++ and C#

xcode for Obj C

eclipse for java

sublime text for python and everything else, but for heavier workloads for python, I use eclipse 

HTML / CSS / JavaScript

For single document editing: BlueFish

For "projects": brackets (really new opensource editor written in html and javascript!)

PHP / MySQL

Aptana Studio 3

To be honest, if you are working on a big project with PHP, Aptana Studio is just awesome because it has a built-in server, so you don't need one yourself for PHP

PHP has built in server now

Code::Blocks 13.02 / VIM and G++ - C++

VIM - C

Eclipse - Java

Sublime Text Editor/VIM - Haxe

Sublime Text Editor/VIM - PHP/Other Web Dev Stuff

Sublime Text Editor/VIM - Python

Sublime Text Editor/VIM - Ruby

Sublime Text Editor/VIM - Bash Scripts and stuff

Sublime Text Editor/VIM - LUA

Sublime Text Editor/VIM - Shellcoding / Other Exploit Dev Stuff

That's about it. :D

I use Sublime Text for just about all of my projects, which are mostly in PHP and Ruby (Rails). I do have the occasional C++ project, and even then I stick to Sublime. The workflow (or lack thereof...) may seem a bit strange, but it's incredibly productive for me.

I also use IDA Pro (reverse engineering), not really an IDE but it's probably the best $3k+ I've ever spent on software.

Assembly Java and C++ Visual Studios 2012 Express

And for every other language including English I use Notepad++ lightyears ahead of notepad. :=P

Qt Creator :)

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

Sublime Text 2 for pretty much anything. You can add packages to it so really you can use it for any programming language you want and it's very customizable so you can end up with a very minimalist workspace.

[spoiler=pc specs:]cpu: i5-4670k | mobo: z87-pro | cpu cooler: h100i | ram: 8gb vengeance pro | gpu: gtx770 ftw 4gb | case: nzxt switch 810 matte black | storage: 240gb ssd; 1tb hdd | psu: 750w corsair rm |
keyboards: max nighthawk x8 mx brown + blue led; corsair k60 mx red; ducky shine 3 tkl mx blue + orange led | mouse: deathadder black edition | audio: FiiO E10; sennheiser hd558; grado sr80i; sony mdr-nc200d; blue snowball |